• Injuries

#44773  by Flagman
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:11 am
Clay said in his post game interview that Wynn wasn’t 100%. Gilby took a pretty vicious hit. He was likely out for concussion protocols.
gofurman liked this
 #44776  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:44 am
A few thoughts on injuries.

First—sadly they happen, injuries are part of the game. It's a vicious, physical sport.

Next—we're getting to the point of the season that injuries start piling up for teams.
It becomes a next-man-up reality and this is where a team shows up or it doesn't.
I'm very proud of the way Furman is showing up.
From the running back by-committee last night to the linebacking corp standing tall after losing its most physical player early.

Concerning players
Jace is fine, CCH mentioned he could have gone back in, but they decided to pull him and settle him down.
I heard this from a player parent—Wynn was basically still beaten up from the Wofford performance and could have played.
gman84, gofurman liked this
 #44777  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:51 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:44 am
Concerning players
Jace is fine, CCH mentioned he could have gone back in, but they decided to pull him and settle him down.
I heard this from a player parent—Wynn was basically still beaten up from the Wofford performance and could have played.
Good news - thanks! We are going to need them both next week.
dornb liked this
 #44778  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:55 am
This is just my take but that was the most physical opponent and game the Dins have played this season.
I expected nothing less from the Dogs.
 #44795  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:35 pm
Flagman wrote:
Clay said in his post game interview that Wynn wasn’t 100%. Gilby took a pretty vicious hit. He was likely out for concussion protocols.
Our depth was really tested yesterday.

We didn't have Wynn. Clay was out for the first half. I didn't see Luke Clark. Sochovka is out. Gilby was injured early in the first quarter. Yates was out.

Add to that you are playing a team that sticks every player they've got within about 15 yards with the intention of cutting your legs out every play for four quarters. We rotated heavily up front with the understanding that those guys would be in a war all night.

By the end of the game, I saw Dimaggio playing SPUR in rotation with McKoy. Alex Maier was in the game at DE. We were rotating in a bunch of guys.
 #44800  by tim
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:47 pm
Has Gilby been playing on KO team all year?
 #44801  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:47 pm
Flagman wrote:
Yep. Inside source had let me know.
 #44802  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:48 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:16 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:26 pm
I talked to Wynn after the game. He was smiling, hugging, dancing around. Didn't mention any injury, didn't act hurt at all.
FYI - THIS IS NOT AGING WELL ... Tim, FUBeAR etc

You have no idea why he's not in the game. It's not been reported. He was listed as the starter in the pregame. He's dressed out.
THIS IS REALLY - REALLY !!! - NOT AGING WELL. I knew. . I have only one or two sources but this had been told to me. Jackal , I Would appreciate an apology.

I appreciate your insightful posts and videos. Look, I admit that I generally don’t know as much as you about football but this time I had been informed by a participant . I felt it was a little rude For you to just ASSUME I didn’t know. You said “you have no idea”. You don’t know what I know and don’t know ( and I don’t know a lot. LOL)

None of us know exactly what the others have been informed.

I apologize to you on occasion. . Hope you do the same here. Let’s all just get along!
 #44806  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:35 pm
Flagman wrote:
Our depth was really tested yesterday.

We didn't have Wynn. Clay was out for the first half. I didn't see Luke Clark. Sochovka is out. Gilby was injured early in the first quarter. Yates was out.

Add to that you are playing a team that sticks every player they've got within about 15 yards with the intention of cutting your legs out every play for four quarters. We rotated heavily up front with the understanding that those guys would be in a war all night.

By the end of the game, I saw Dimaggio playing SPUR in rotation with McKoy. Alex Maier was in the game at DE. We were rotating in a bunch of guys.

Per Jackal “. We didn't have Wynn. Clay was out for the first half. I didn't see Luke Clark. Sochovka is out. Gilby was injured early in the first quarter. Yates was out. “.

Right. Plus add Wilkins starting LB to this list. And Wilson at QB at end.

I know every team has guys out now but that’s more than normal for us. You know it’s my thing w injuris. :D

—————
I hope JW and Wynn should be back for ETSU on O. . Clay is back at Safety. I hope we have Gilby back soon. I hope he is ok - that was a hard hit. Our D could use more depth back
 #44808  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:24 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:06 pm
^^ I'd say we proved last night Furman has defensive depth.
Astro, good point. You are certainly right to a great extent. Absolutely. And our O was Not helping. We must get a few first downs to give the D rest

. I was just seeing us wear down - especially in the 3rd Q. We were going from a Great D that allowed only one or two long plays in first half to one that was getting chewed up 5 yards a play by an option - which is what they wanted. That second TD by Citadel (3q) was far different than the one they scored on a turnover and one long run in Q1
 #44814  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:23 pm
I get what you're saying—I see this as the reality of playing the CItadel.
This was a rivalry game and the Citadel came to play.
It's just a fact The Citadel is going to wear you down.
The great news for us is we stood tall at the end.

I also think our offense and offensive depth needs some acknowledgment.
McKoy's great play didn't guarantee a score, the offense had to punch it in.
Down an NFL caliber running back and the Citadel knowing what Furman was going to do,
we still pounded it in the endzone.
 #44817  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:40 pm
AstroDin wrote:

Down an NFL caliber running back and the Citadel knowing what Furman was going to do,

I told my buddies on that drive that if Furman does anything but hand it to the fullback, I'm writing a letter.

Fortunately, the offensive staff got my message:

FURMAN drive start at 07:23.
Devin Abrams rush for 3 yards to the CIT28 (Eubanks III).
Dominic Roberto rush for 7 yards to the CIT21, 1ST DOWN FUR (Hendricks III;Brian Horn).
Dominic Roberto rush for 7 yards to the CIT14 (Destin Mack).
Dominic Roberto rush for 6 yards to the CIT8, 1ST DOWN FUR (Carson Hatchett).
Dominic Roberto rush for no gain to the CIT8 (Destin Mack).
Devin Abrams rush for 7 yards to the CIT1 (Andy Davis).
Devin Abrams rush for 1 yard to the CIT0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 03:36.
Timmy Bleekrode kick attempt good.
Axel Lepvreau kickoff 60 yards to the CIT5, Cooper Wallace return 24 yards to the CIT29 (Bailor Hughes).
AstroDin, gman84 liked this
 #44843  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:09 pm
AstroDin wrote:

True. agree.

And honestly, I put some of that on the Offense.. in the First and 4th Q the O helped (especially the first Q!!). From early in the 2q to ALL of the 3q we had 5 (maybe 6?) 3 and outs. That Q3 was just painful. That was killing our D - no D can last playing an option without some help from the O.. I'm not a huge time of possession guy but vs Citadel it was starting to matter.. that's part of the option offense plan.
Plus there is the momentum factor - as long as we were scoring or just moving the ball our D was Great(!). A quarter of almost no offense and we started wearing down.
 #44851  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:08 am
This is an example of how each of us processes a game and the ups and downs of a game.

The Citadel is actually playing pretty good ball.
Minus their 4th quarter at ETSU - they're playing option football at a high level.

I focus on how we finish, and both sides of the ball finished strong in the 4th.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.