• Post Wofford Game Thoughts!

#44450  by youwouldno
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:55 am
Promising debut by Wilson, who looked the part of a coach's son out there. The Paladins put him in a good situation by dominating the line of scrimmage. I couldn't tell how much of that was Wilson's mobility vs. better OL play and a weak opponent, and other factors like play-calling, etc.

The question remains of what happens when opposing defenses have success against Furman's run game. That puts a lot of pressure on the QB, especially when the offense is designed to be run-first.
 #44452  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:13 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:55 am
Promising debut by Wilson, who looked the part of a coach's son out there. The Paladins put him in a good situation by dominating the line of scrimmage. I couldn't tell how much of that was Wilson's mobility vs. better OL play and a weak opponent, and other factors like play-calling, etc.

The question remains of what happens when opposing defenses have success against Furman's run game. That puts a lot of pressure on the QB, especially when the offense is designed to be run-first.

Things were working yesterday. Even early in the game when Wofford took a lead, the offense was still moving the ball fine. Wofford really didn't stop the offense at all, and certainly not after Wilson settled in a little bit after the first drive or two.

Wofford was running a similar playbook that most teams run against us. Like Mercer, they pressed Josh Harris on the outside. They put 8 or 9 in the box in the run.

Furman added a lot of motion across the formation, play action, and had the threat of Wilson rolling out. All of that freezes linebackers and allows our offensive linemen just that extra step to get an angle. Wofford couldn't just plug the middle, because Furman showed they could beat them outside in the run and pass game. That opened up space for Wynn et al. to get down hill quick and in a hurry.
FUBeAR, FU3 liked this
 #44462  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:43 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:39 pm
The woffy coach sounded rather dejected. Did everyone take. One of his last comment about his other QB being done for the year? Sounds like they may be giving up, opting out of the rest of the season.

I've said this a while, but I was never sold on Conklin. He benefitted early on from inheriting a Mike Ayers' championship caliber team, but has gotten worse every season. Any time you see a lot of attrition with coaches and players, that should be a major red flag about the health of the program.

I think it was also an open secret that Conklin was job shopping this offseason. They then quit on the spring season. From what I saw today, there's not a lot positive going on over there right now.

All that aside, that interview is embarrassing. I know you're disappointed, but that's a Wofford guy doing his job to ask you questions and you are treating him like he's just bothering you.
THIS from Jackal was the type of post I was referencing when I said it’s common knowledge that Conklin is hurting that program. I am SO GLAD TO BEAT THE SNOT OUT OF WOFFD !!

But by most Measures that is not a very good team. Funny, after I said wofford isn’t so good in another post elsewhere … jackal then tried to say Wofford was decent w close scores to ETSU and VMI. (I’d have to go find the post). either they are or they aren’t. Let’s pick one and go stick with it. Don’t post Conklin has them in a bad state of health and then try to defend them in the next breath so it makes our win look better. They are 0-3 in conference. They aren’t good.

I know. No one likes facts and data here

I hope they stay bad :) Let’s keep
Whopping on them by 20
Every single. Year. That’s great by me!!!
apaladin liked this
 #44465  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:46 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:
The woffy coach sounded rather dejected. Did everyone take. One of his last comment about his other QB being done for the year? Sounds like they may be giving up, opting out of the rest of the season.

I've said this a while, but I was never sold on Conklin. He benefitted early on from inheriting a Mike Ayers' championship caliber team, but has gotten worse every season. Any time you see a lot of attrition with coaches and players, that should be a major red flag about the health of the program.

I think it was also an open secret that Conklin was job shopping this offseason. They then quit on the spring season. From what I saw today, there's not a lot positive going on over there right now.

All that aside, that interview is embarrassing. I know you're disappointed, but that's a Wofford guy doing his job to ask you questions and you are treating him like he's just bothering you.
THIS from Jackal was the type of post I was referencing when I said it’s common knowledge that Conklin is hurting that program. I am SO GLAD TO BEAT THE SNOT OUT OF WOFFD !!

But by most Measures that is not a very good team. Funny, after I said wofford isn’t so good in another post elsewhere … jackal then tried to say Wofford was decent w close scores to ETSU and VMI. (I’d have to go find the post). either they are or they aren’t. Let’s pick one and go stick with it. Don’t post Conklin has them in a bad state of health and then try to defend them in the next breath so it makes our win look better. They are 0-3 in conference. They aren’t good.

Whopping on them by 20

My opinion on Conklin hasn't changed in 3 or 4 years.

Stop using what I say as some sort of barometer against which to measure your own opinion. If you agree with me fine. If you disagree with me, also fine.

He was a convenient hire for Wofford. Most of his coaching staff has abandoned him. A lot of their key players have transferred out. All of that is true.

At the same time, Wofford hasn't been whipped like that in years. Furman played to their capability, something we haven't seen them do a lot of. I knew they had it in them, and they showed it yesterday.
FUBeAR, furman88, FUPlayer74 and 5 others liked this
 #44468  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:30 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:

Whopping on them by 20

Stop using what I say as some sort of barometer against which to measure your own opinion. If you agree with me fine. If you disagree with me, also fine.

He was a convenient hire for Wofford. Most of his coaching staff has abandoned him. A lot of their key players have transferred out. All of that is true.

At the same time, Wofford hasn't been whipped like that in years. Furman played to their capability, something we haven't seen them do a lot of. I knew they had it in them, and they showed it yesterday.
Jackal pleas please don’t LIE. And then those that ‘like’ Jackals post are on board with that? LYING to make a point?? . That truly irks me. You say Woff hasn’t been whipped like that in YEARS??? WTH? really? You always say points are what matter. Well, Wofford just THIS YEAR lost 31 - 10 to KSU. That’s no different than 42 - 20 to Furman. Heck, KSU beat them by a stronger percentage (3 to 1 advantage) while Furman was 2-1. I am elated at what we did. Love killing Wofford. But Please don’t LIE to make your point … and those that gave a ‘like’ really ought to check facts before doing so.

Let’s all step back and take a breath.

I keep catching y’all doing this. 74 said I didn’t trust the OL. I had hard and fast proof my post applauded the OL more than any other ( SIX TIMES I applauded the OL!) but of course ..

Let’s all chill but please use facts. 31-10. 42-20. Yes they have been whipped like this … I don’t even have to look far to find it
 #44489  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:06 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:30 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:

Whopping on them by 20

Jackal pleas please don’t LIE. And then those that ‘like’ Jackals post are on board with that? LYING to make a point?? . That truly irks me. You say Woff hasn’t been whipped like that in YEARS??? WTH? really? You always say points are what matter. Well, Wofford just THIS YEAR lost 31 - 10 to KSU. That’s no different than 42 - 20 to Furman. Heck, KSU beat them by a stronger percentage (3 to 1 advantage) while Furman was 2-1. I am elated at what we did. Love killing Wofford. But Please don’t LIE to make your point … and those that gave a ‘like’ really ought to check facts before doing so.

Let’s all step back and take a breath.

I keep catching y’all doing this. 74 said I didn’t trust the OL. I had hard and fast proof my post applauded the OL more than any other ( SIX TIMES I applauded the OL!) but of course ..

Let’s all chill but please use facts. 31-10. 42-20. Yes they have been whipped like this … I don’t even have to look far to find it
I'm well aware of what the Kennesaw State/Wofford score was.

I didn't say Wofford hasn't had a team beat them by three touchdowns. I said Wofford hasn't been physically whipped like they were Saturday. Wofford's defense wanted nothing to do with Devin Wynn from the opening kickoff. He ran angry and punished Terrier defenders for even thinking about tackling him.

You can disagree. That's fine. I'm not lying. I watch the games. Wofford was manhandled up front Saturday. Wynn had 200+ yards and no carry over 20 yards. That's physical football at its very core.

I hope you also realize that your last sentence will be repeated to you every time you ask whether someone played when the information is easily found in every box score under "participation."
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #44498  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:45 am
Watched ESPN replay last night…

* #0 ran like an Angry Furman with a stick…looking forward to seeing that every week going forward
* OL played like Angry Furmans with sticks…looking forward to seeing that every week going forward
* DL & LB’s played like Angry Furmans with sticks…looking forward to seeing that every week going forward
* #16 is cooler than than the 3rd side of the pillow & talented in all aspects of the QB role…looking forward to seeing that every week going forward
* O play calls, mostly, seemed like play caller knew there were a bunch of Angry Furmans with sticks out on the field looking for direction to beat small dogs with their anger & their sticks…looking forward to seeing even more of that every week going forward…especially this coming week.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin, gman84, FU3 and 3 others liked this
 #44500  by gman84
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:00 am
In regards to #16...wife and I were right behind the Furman bench. Not exactly the best seats for watching the game but you can really see sideline interactions. He was steady throughout the game. Never too high or low. I thought #9 handled things like a pro as well. He was there with support and also let the young man have his moment. Somebody mentioned that Wynn's longest run was around 20 yards. There is nothing more demoralizing for a defense than to be consistently hammered. Big plays are great and exciting but consistent chunk plays kill your opponent. They also allow you to own the clock!
Roundball, dornb, AstroDin liked this
 #44501  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:17 am
gman84 wrote:
In regards to #16...wife and I were right behind the Furman bench. Not exactly the best seats for watching the game but you can really see sideline interactions. He was steady throughout the game. Never too high or low. I thought #9 handled things like a pro as well. He was there with support and also let the young man have his moment. Somebody mentioned that Wynn's longest run was around 20 yards. There is nothing more demoralizing for a defense than to be consistently hammered. Big plays are great and exciting but consistent chunk plays kill your opponent. They also allow you to own the clock!

I heard Bomani Jones a few years ago talking about Leonard Fournette when he was still at LSU.

His story went something like this - Every running back knows that at some point, his run is going to end. Sometimes they get tackled, sometimes they run out of bounds. Fournette gets to that point his run, picks out an opposing defensive player, and says "you."

That's what Devin Wynn was doing Saturday. He was looking for contact.
 #44509  by Louis Tully
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:00 pm
Beast Mode. Give the man some skittles. Marshawn Lynch style.
FUBeAR, gman84, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #44510  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:11 pm
gman84 wrote:
Exactly how it should be. TIM DUNCAN- style. I always admired Duncan for that even keeled demeanor.

That’s why I quote. “ don’t get too up on wins or too low on losses”. Funny that some people think that’s great for a player but Not good as a fan.
 #44511  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:46 pm
FAN - noun - noun: fan; plural noun: fans

a person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular person or thing.
"football fans"

Similar: enthusiast, devotee, admirer, lover, addict, supporter, follower, disciple, adherent, backer, zealot, champion, votary, expert, connoisseur, aficionado, buff, fiend, freak, bug, nut, maniac, groupie, junkie, jock, barmy army

Origin- late 19th century (originally US): abbreviation of fanatic.
 #44513  by Paul C
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:51 pm
gofurman wrote:
gman84 wrote:
Exactly how it should be. TIM DUNCAN- style. I always admired Duncan for that even keeled demeanor.

That’s why I quote. “ don’t get too up on wins or too low on losses”. Funny that some people think that’s great for a player but Not good as a fan.
Really? Is that why you use ALL CAPS. 😁😁
 #44515  by FurmAlum
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:10 pm
That was an important win in so many ways. If we had lost that game without the QB change, the naysayers would have had a field day with bad mouthing the team and the coaches. If we had lost with the QB change, same thing just a different way.

I am proud of the team and coaches for not listening to any BS, for developing an effective game plan, having the courage to make that difficult decision to start a freshman QB, and for executing the game plan. And also for coming out and whooping some Woffy a**.

Great to see D. Wynn finally able to show his stuff, Shiff get some action at WR, and the offensive line be dominant. Jace had a fantastic debut.

I am very optimistic for the rest of the season. We just need to take it one game at a time.
dornb, AstroDin, FUBeAR and 2 others liked this
 #44516  by gman84
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:16 pm
gofurman wrote:
gman84 wrote:

GF, why are you high- lighting what I said ? You have an interesting way of changing what I said to support your narrative. I said NOTHING about fans.
FUwolfpacker liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.