• What would you like to see at WC?

#44214  by DeepPurple
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:23 pm
I'd love to see us running more option, with the QB as a runner. Folks can take away our dive and pitch, defend QB?
When we get back to being a threat with our run game, all will fall in line. The glass is still half full!
FurmAlum liked this
 #44216  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:34 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:23 pm
I'd love to see us running more option, with the QB as a runner. Folks can take away our dive and pitch, defend QB?
When we get back to being a threat with our run game, all will fall in line. The glass is still half full!

I agree.

We seem reluctant to be willing to let the QB attack the defense, but a lot of our offense appears centered around that threat being present. If we are unwilling to do it, defenses aren't going to respect it, and will just key on the running back who is almost assuredly the one getting the ball.
DeepPurple liked this
 #44217  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:51 pm
What I don’t want to see is WC explosion plays which I think will be the difference in the game, They will hurt us on the optiion and big pass plays. We don’t defend either well. If we can eliminate these we have a shot if not its going to be a long afternoon. We pretty much are not a threat for explosion plays offensively.
 #44219  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:51 pm
What I don’t want to see is WC explosion plays which I think will be the difference in the game, They will hurt us on the optiion and big pass plays. We don’t defend either well. If we can eliminate these we have a shot if not its going to be a long afternoon. We pretty much are not a threat for explosion plays offensively.
I don't know if that's fair. Our defense has been quite solid all year. Against FCS teams, the defense is giving up 14 ppg. They've allowed a couple of big plays, but not many.

Playing Wofford is going to require some discipline. The run attack is a bit different from years past. They don't really have a potent mammoth fullback this season. Nathan Walker has been that guy a few years, but he's averaging 2.1 ypc and about 12 yards a game.

The bell cow this season is a kid named Mulligan. He's smaller than the traditional Wofford fullback, but bigger than their usual speed backs. He reminds me a good bit of the Devezin kid that used to play for Mercer - shorter physical type runner with good feet, balance, and vision. Furman is going to have to get that guy on the ground.

In the passing game, they're only completing about 10 passes a game. The passing attack looks sort of like an option team in that most of the throws are out quick and frequently to the edges.

Both QBs are shifty, and look like they can move around in the pocket and keep plays alive. They are not much of a threat just to launch a ball downfield, but they can take advantage of a break down in discipline in the back end as DBs lose their assignments.

Bottom line, Furman is going to have to wrap up and tackle. Wofford, as they frequently do, has some slippery runners that can break a tackle and get up the field in a hurry. Their offense looks to get these guys the ball in space in hopes that they can make someone miss.

My general impression of the Wofford offense after watching them some is that they aren't great throwing the ball downfield and don't have the potent rush attack in between the tackles. They want to win on the edges, get the ball out there quick, and make defenders miss. Much of our defensive success will depend on our Safeties and outside linebackers getting over to shut off those running lanes.
DeepPurple liked this
 #44222  by DeepPurple
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:04 pm
I agree, I think we will be able to defend Wofford's offense. We need to get off to a good start in the 1st quarter, curious to see if our Freshman QB gets to play early with our 1st offense.
 #44223  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:24 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:04 pm
I agree, I think we will be able to defend Wofford's offense. We need to get off to a good start in the 1st quarter, curious to see if our Freshman QB gets to play early with our 1st offense.

I do not think we'll know the starting QB until the lineups are announced. I would wager Sisson will start, but it wouldn't shock me to see Wilson get a series early on. Furman's going to have to figure out quickly whether he's the guy, and the only way to do that is to throw him out there.
 #44225  by cavedweller2
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:03 pm
Who knows? Maybe JW is the next Armanti Edwards. We could only be so lucky.
 #44226  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:18 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
I liked Hendrix's comment that on the interception last week Wilson bent his facemask making a tackle.

He's a kid that played Texas 6A ball. He's already played in front of crowds much bigger than what we'll see tomorrow in Spartanburg.

I doubt the moment will be too big.
 #44228  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:21 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:18 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
I liked Hendrix's comment that on the interception last week Wilson bent his facemask making a tackle.

He's a kid that played Texas 6A ball. He's already played in front of crowds much bigger than what we'll see tomorrow in Spartanburg.

I doubt the moment will be too big.
No doubt, prolly won’t be 5k there.
 #44233  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:53 am
@paladinfootball IG tellin’ us a li’l sumpin’ sumpin’?
 #44235  by cavedweller2
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:25 am
I heard the "Pell Mell" play has been reinserted into the playbook. Why it was taken out I dont know but it is back.

The Drama begin on the bus ride over.......
FUBeAR liked this
 #44238  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:33 am
I know this will never happen but I would like to see us go back to the old power I or something similar where the QB is under center. That way you could run a true option and have quick hitters.
dornb, FU69 liked this
 #44240  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:54 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:25 am
I heard the "Pell Mell" play has been reinserted into the playbook. Why it was taken out I dont know but it is back.

The Drama begin on the bus ride over.......
Coach Hendrix was talking about playing more angry. Just need to give those Angry Furmans some big sticks and we’ll be GOLDEN (not Beige, like those fetid PorchYappers)!
FU69 liked this
 #44241  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:33 am
I know this will never happen but I would like to see us go back to the old power I or something similar where the QB is under center. That way you could run a true option and have quick hitters.

I've been of the opinion that if the coaching staff wants to go with Sisson, they need to put him under center. He's a good runner, but the coaching staff appears unwilling to really let him serve as a threat in the run game.

If the QB isn't going to be a run threat, then I think we aren't really leveraging our talented running backs. Too much of our offense is east/west and you really lose the value of a 245 lbs fullback barreling downhill.

I think our highest and best use of our more talented players is to get those backs running downhill quick and in a hurry.

I look at UGA - a team with a stable of running backs. UGA last week against Arkansas ran the ball 56 times. They threw it 11 times (completed 7 passes for 72 yards). The Dawgs scored 37 points.

If teams are going to stack the box, let them. Let's roll up our sleeves and get in the cage with them.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.