• Backup QB

#43739  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:26 am
Fun Fact if you want to call it that: 😳This was the fewest points scored in the CCH era and only the second game without a TD.
 #43740  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:49 am
tya1 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:04 am
Anyone who remembers 2003 knows we had an excellent group of running backs, an outstanding group of wide receivers, and a great trio of linebackers leading the defense. Despite the talent we struggled to a 6-5 overall record and 4-4 SoCon record. The next year we won the SoCon with a 6-1 record and 10-3 overall with most of the same players. Except we had Ingle Martin at QB. Same coaches, most of the same players. QBs can be kind of important.

In fact, in 2003 the defense only allowed about 14 points per game while the 2004 team allowed about 17 ppg. The 2005 team allowed over 27 ppg but had an even better overall record - 11-3, probably due to the 35 ppg the Martin lead offense scored.
Right. I was present. I’m pretty sure that was the year the football poster said “ the defense never rests “. Sadly the poster was right. Lost to Woff like 7-6. Good grief
 #43757  by MNORM
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:37 am
El Guapo wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:00 pm
Definitely a head scratcher that we made a change only after the third and possibly most bizarre interception that I’ve ever seen. Also why did he ply the red shirt and not LS? I thought LS was QB2.
As of 2018 a player can participate in up to four games of a single season without burning his redshirt.
 #43759  by Paul C
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:41 am
MNORM wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:37 am
El Guapo wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:00 pm
Definitely a head scratcher that we made a change only after the third and possibly most bizarre interception that I’ve ever seen. Also why did he ply the red shirt and not LS? I thought LS was QB2.
As of 2018 a player can participate in up to four games of a single season without burning his redshirt.
Amazing to me that people who post like they know things, are unaware of this thing.

LS came in to mop up in the last few games because we were saving Jace’s 4 games for the socon schedule.
MNORM liked this
 #43762  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:09 pm
By all accounts, Sisson is an outstanding young man and good leader. I think at this point, though, we know what we have with him.

Mercer ran the same sort of defensive alignment we've seen now for most of the last two years - stuff the run and force Furman to dink and dunk down the field. Some teams are perfectly fine doing that. We are not built to do it - or at least don't look good when we try to.

The movie we saw yesterday is a film we have seen a bunch of times. No ability to get a run game going, passes are not on time and on target, and defenses simply don't have to respect the entirety of the offense.

You saw this in numerous ways yesterday. Overthrow man coverage on a post route for an interception. Throw a ball behind a receiver on a slant who has already beaten coverage, bounces of someones foot for an interception. Misfire on an inside throw to the end zone. Arguably, all three of those should have been touchdowns. Plays are there, but we aren't executing them.

I've been interested following Georgia State's use of Darren Grainger. He's a largely similar player to what he was at Furman. GSU isn't asking him to read the field and dissect the defense. They are asking him to primarily run the ball and throw it deep, two things he can do well. Essentially, the offense is being molded to the player, not the other way around.

At this stage, there's no risk to going to Wilson. I think he gives us a different look and maybe some ability to pressure the defense in different ways. We quite literally couldn't look much worse with him in the game at this point.
Furmanoid, dornb liked this
 #43764  by Roundball
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:35 pm
Many keep bringing up Grainger. Let’s not forget that he played lights out for a couple of games, then all of a sudden stunk up the place. I wish he could have hung around at Furman, but there is a reason he moved on. I wish him well at Georgia State.
 #43765  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:40 pm
Roundball wrote:
Many keep bringing up Grainger. Let’s not forget that he played lights out for a couple of games, then all of a sudden stunk up the place. I wish he could have hung around at Furman, but there is a reason he moved on. I wish him well at Georgia State.
What I'm trying to highlight is that GSU is using him differently than Furman did. They aren't asking him to run the full offense. They are taking what he does well, and running the offense around that. They aren't asking him to do a lot of the things he's not as good at.

Fit the offense to the player, not the opposite.

If Furman opts to go with Wilson, find what he does well and run the offense that highlights that.
dornb liked this
 #43767  by Furmanoid
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:11 pm
Jackal speaks wisely. We have given Sisson every possible chance. Jace only looked a little worse. We need to give him 4 or 5 games, and then move on to a walk-on if needs be. Maybe we can at least use the season to find a qb. And if it is so hard to find anybody who can succeed in our offense, then there is something wrong with the offense. If your line is bad but you have a shifty QB and good running backs, just dive at the shins and run a veer with 4 or 5 plays. It couldn’t do worse.
 #43768  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:18 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:40 pm
Roundball wrote:
What I'm trying to highlight is that GSU is using him differently than Furman did. They aren't asking him to run the full offense. They are taking what he does well, and running the offense around that. They aren't asking him to do a lot of the things he's not as good at.

Fit the offense to the player, not the opposite.

If Furman opts to go with Wilson, find what he does well and run the offense that highlights that.
Agree and we could do the same with HS if we wanted to. In the first game he had passes he could complete. The short pass to Miller for the 87 yd TD for example. Have we seen that play again? The post to Harris for a TD. Have we seen that play again? HS is not equipped to throw deep to the opposite side of the field like yesterday. Those are difficult to complete with any QB. Just waisting downs. Memo to Quarles, the sideline is a defender that can’t be blocked. How many times did we have 2nd and 9 yesterday because we can’t run the ball up the middle? We won’t see a change at starting QB until we have at least 3 SoCon losses which should be soon.
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #43769  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:19 pm
not sure this help the meltdown… here is video of incoming QB commit Carson Jones.
He's having a helluva year;
 #43771  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:36 pm
I hope he is very good which he seems to be. I don’t pay attention to “highlight” videos especially from hudl. Every high school player looks great. If you watch their basketball “highlights” no HS player ever misses a shot.
 #43772  by Furmanoid
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:38 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:19 pm
not sure this help the meltdown… here is video of incoming QB commit Carson Jones.
He's having a helluva year;
That’s good but I’m a little suspicious of the whole Maryville thing.
 #43776  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:59 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:11 pm
Jackal speaks wisely. We have given Sisson every possible chance. Jace only looked a little worse. We need to give him 4 or 5 games, and then move on to a walk-on if needs be. Maybe we can at least use the season to find a qb. And if it is so hard to find anybody who can succeed in our offense, then there is something wrong with the offense. If your line is bad but you have a shifty QB and good running backs, just dive at the shins and run a veer with 4 or 5 plays. It couldn’t do worse.

I don't think he looked "worse," frankly. Wilson was put in a really tough situation. He came in late, and Furman was in a situation where they were trailing and had to throw the ball.

You can see the talent, though. Here, Mercer drops 8 and Wilson keeps his eyes downfield, moves out of pressure, gives the defender a little shoulder shimmy and then beats him to the corner.

In my view, that's an element we don't really have in the offense. That play right there changes a defense. Mercer now knows they have a key defender that Furman's QB can out run. They now have to change what they are doing.

In limited playing time, Wilson was our second leading rusher. If we need to suffer through mistakes in the passing game, the QB is going to have to give us something in the run game.
 #43777  by Thorny
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:19 pm
I'd like to see more of Wilson...

Coaches need to do something. I thought Furman shouldn't have gotten rid of Lamb but Lamb's teams were always respectable and competitive even if he was committed to only winning half his games.

This does not look like a .5 season, this team does not look competitive, etc.
 #43778  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:29 pm
Thorny wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:19 pm
I'd like to see more of Wilson...

Coaches need to do something. I thought Furman shouldn't have gotten rid of Lamb but Lamb's teams were always respectable and competitive even if he was committed to only winning half his games.

This does not look like a .5 season, this team does not look competitive, etc.

It's hard to say we don't look competitive when we've won two of four games.

Look, we stunk yesterday. Our defense played poorly and (surprisingly) still only surrendered 24. I have been of the opinion for about 2 years now that if Furman's offense could just resemble average offensive output, we'd win most of our games.

I think the point is that we've seen what Sisson can do. We are really no further along now than we were when we got blown out by Austin Peay and the Citadel a few years ago. I think we could abide the offensive struggles in "rebuilding" years, but there's really no reason this team shouldn't be performing better.

I know its not a decision the coaches want to make, it may just be a decision they have to make.
Paladin575 liked this