• 2022 Commitments

#41727  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:38 am
I think Furman has made up a lot of ground in recruiting.

I believe that for much of the 2000s/2010s, administration and coaches operated like Furman would just maintain its position near the top of the FCS hierarchy by doing the same thing it always had. The "it worked before, it will work now" type of mentality.

What we saw was Furman's facilities lagging behind other smaller or newer programs. There wasn't the investment in maintaining its edge. We appeared woefully unprepared for the shift in college football over the last 10 or 15 years.

I think we have remedied a lot of those problems. Money is being spent in the right places. Real attention is being given to getting Furman back where it needs to be. It is a cautionary tale. A few years of not minding the store or resting on your laurels and you start looking up at Gardner Webb, Wofford, and Elon.
DeepPurple, dornb liked this
 #41730  by Affirm
 Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:55 am
The Jackal wrote:

I believe that for much of the 2000s/2010s, administration and coaches operated like Furman would just maintain its position near the top of the FCS hierarchy by doing the same thing it always had. The "it worked before, it will work now" type of mentality.

What we saw was Furman's facilities lagging behind other smaller or newer programs. There wasn't the investment in maintaining its edge. We appeared woefully unprepared for the shift in college football over the last 10 or 15 years.

I think we have remedied a lot of those problems. Money is being spent in the right places. Real attention is being given to getting Furman back where it needs to be. It is a cautionary tale. A few years of not minding the store or resting on your laurels and you start looking up at Gardner Webb, Wofford, and Elon.
In your 2nd sentence, you correctly call out administration and coaches over the last 20 years.
But what about fans and alumni for the same mentality?
And what about the future impact on Furman and FCS generally from the present and future realignments of conferences? See the separate thread on that topic. I realize “we don’t know”, but things are going to continue changing. Whatever adjustments and adaptations we think we need to make now (and already made /are making) are very likely going to change over the coming month, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, and beyond.
 #41731  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:51 am
affirm wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:55 am
The Jackal wrote:

In your 2nd sentence, you correctly call out administration and coaches over the last 20 years.
But what about fans and alumni for the same mentality?
And what about the future impact on Furman and FCS generally from the present and future realignments of conferences? See the separate thread on that topic. I realize “we don’t know”, but things are going to continue changing. Whatever adjustments and adaptations we think we need to make now (and already made /are making) are very likely going to change over the coming month, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, and beyond.

I'm not sure I hold fans and alumni to the same standard. The fans and alumni are guilty, perhaps, of outsized expectation, but I also think they need to look to the leadership. Someone's got to bell the cat.

I do think fans (not just Furman fans) tend to look at the "glory days" and fail to realize that we cannot just replicate a world that no longer exists. Football in 2021 is different than it was in 1988. The basic rules of the game are the same, but the world in which it is played is different.

20 years ago, Furman basically had a market cornered - smaller private institution playing nationally relevant football at the IAA level. Now, there are three or four such schools just in the Southern Conference alone. I'm not sure our administration saw that coming from a recruiting/facilities standpoint; that is, other schools could show up on the scene with similar offerings to Furman with nicer stuff.

Incidentally, now that Furman has gotten back in gear, I think we'll continue to do well in recruiting.
Affirm liked this
 #41741  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:06 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:42 pm
another …
Offers from All 3 D1 FBS Service Academies, FBS Kent State, Elon, Indiana State, and Eastern Illinois (per his Twitter)
AstroDin, DeepPurple, FU69 liked this
 #41746  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:15 am
Where are we? With a fast flurry of recruiting activity in the last several weeks.
A few thoughts.

Furman has three OL commits for this class — I think we've wrapped up that position.
Furman has three Defensive back commitments — I feel very optimistic these three were at the top of Furman's list. This position is a wrap.
Furman landed a commit from a QB that they know well — I don't expect another QB.
Furman has one WR commit — based on offers posted by players Furman wants at least one more WR. I think I know who the coaches want - waiting and watching.
Furman has offered several DTs — based on coaches' tweets there is a not-public commit out there. My guess is this is a DT - again, just a guess. Based on Twitter activity Furman would love to wrap up Marc Hernandez a big (6-4 315 DT) from TX. Marc has recently picked up an offer from Boise St.

I'm not sure what other positions Furman would want to bring into this class?
Last year Furman brought in two DEs, two RBs, and two TEs.
Maybe, we could see an ATH or two — and this class is a wrap!
Davemeister, DeepPurple liked this
 #41815  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:46 pm
Furman has picked up another commit >
DT Seth Vaughan 6-2 290

FU69 liked this
 #43115  by AstroDin
 Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 am
if you have some time to kill on a Friday night - I'd recommend trying to find a feed for a Maryville football game.
This guy will be in the quarterback bullpen next year.
MNORM, hypercycloid liked this
 #44600  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:32 pm
Thanks PaulC and Astro..! Appreciate the info (and look at the positivity from GF :shock: :D :D

no, I Really do appreciate the info - especially on where they had true offers from
 #44604  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:51 am
gofurman wrote:
Thanks PaulC and Astro..! Appreciate the info (and look at the positivity from GF :shock: :D :D

no, I Really do appreciate the info - especially on where they had true offers from
I'm not going to read into your comment about true offers other than to say Paul and I both don't make up offers if we list them with a player. It's pretty easy to find offers now. You can search players' feeds (searching media is faster). You can do a Google search, read up on offers from a local news source, as well as search for them 24/7 and Rivals.

Example:
 #44606  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:11 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:51 am
gofurman wrote:

I'm not going to read into your comment about true offers other than to say Paul and I both don't make up offers if we list them with a player. It's pretty easy to find offers now. You can search players' feeds (searching media is faster). You can do a Google search, read up on offers from a local news source, as well as search for them 24/7 and Rivals.

Example:

"I don’t even have to look far to find it"
 #44607  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:31 am
Been watching some of Tobi Olawole's film.

He's a 6'2 WR out of Buford, arguably Georgia's top football program. We've been getting about 1 player a year out of Buford, so that has definitely become a pipeline for us.

Olawole's a big fast kid. Of course, prospects are prospects, but if he pans out we could see a WR corps with Harris (6'2), Shiflett (6'2) and Olawole (6'2).

I'm not big on absolutes, but I really can't think of a time Furman would have had that much size and speed at WR at one time.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.