• THE POSITIVES

#37776  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:15 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:20 pm
I don't think Sisson is the problem. It's only his 3rd or 4th start. He is still learning and yes he does need to learn to throw the ball away to avoid sacks. But no QB is going to be successful with guys in his face all the time.

That was a team loss. HC,OC, OL, RB's, QB, everybody on offense. They need to improve.

I still think we have the right QB and Hendrix is the right coach. One loss does not ruin a season.

I believe every team in the SoCon will have at least one loss.

Think back to some of our other solid QBs and what they looked like their first few starts. PJ Blazejowski was a one man wrecking crew as a senior, but did a lot of the same stuff when he was a freshman/sophomore. Everyone needs to give the kid some time.

Maybe you all saw something I didn't see, but a lot of the offense's problem was not on Sisson. He played admirably. The problem, as I view it, was sort of an all of the above issue with sorting out VMI's pass rush. It was embarrassing for everyone.
AstroDin liked this
 #37778  by gofurman
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
I don't think Sisson is the problem. It's only his 3rd or 4th start. He is still learning and yes he does need to learn to throw the ball away to avoid sacks. But no QB is going to be successful with guys in his face all the time.

That was a team loss. HC,OC, OL, RB's, QB, everybody on offense. They need to improve.

I still think we have the right QB and Hendrix is the right coach. One loss does not ruin a season.

Think back to some of our other solid QBs and what they looked like their first few starts. PJ Blazejowski was a one man wrecking crew as a senior, but did a lot of the same stuff when he was a freshman/sophomore. Everyone needs to give the kid some time.

Maybe you all saw something I didn't see, but a lot of the offense's problem was not on Sisson. He played admirably. The problem, as I view it, was sort of an all of the above issue with sorting out VMI's pass rush. It was embarrassing for everyone.
agree- a team loss on offense / OC, HC, PassPro!! OL, RBs, etc. I was quite proud of the defense. VMI, with Udinski at QB, is going to get 14+ on most every team.
 #37779  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

agree- a team loss on offense / OC, HC, PassPro!! OL, RBs, etc. I was quite proud of the defense. VMI, with Udinski at QB, is going to get 14+ on most every team.

Outside of the screen pass where half our defense seemed to slip on the field, our defense played extremely well.
gofurman, QCGlue liked this
 #37781  by Davemeister
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:09 am
It strikes me as odd that the people who are bemoaning the departure of DG are the same ones who blasted CCH for not benching him after our loss to The Citadel in 2019. After our blow-out win at Samford, something happened with Darren and he was ineffective for the rest of the season. Our coaches tried their best to make him our Numero Uno QB, but in the end it just didn't work.

Other than the sacks, Hamp played fairly well last Saturday. Some folks are praising DeLuca as the only "Positive" for our Offense, but somebody had to get the ball to him or he wouldn't have had any sort of game. And that somebody had to operate in a backfield that looked like the Red Sea all afternoon. Sisson took more sacks that he should have but he didn't give up on plays even though he was running for his life.

Perhaps our best QB stats were 0 INTs and 0 fumbles.
Last edited by Davemeister on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PalaDad, hypercycloid, AstroDin and 3 others liked this
 #37783  by Furmanoid
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:40 am
So several schools of thought are emerging.

1. The pass protection was horrible because 6 or 7 guys simultaneously had “bad days” leading to a “team loss”.
2. Those same guys didn’t have bad days. They just aren’t very good.
3. VMI came up with a revolutionary blitz package that our staff was completely unprepared for.
4. VMI has somehow become good all of a sudden.
5. The young QB was really shaky and made their defense look better than it really was.
6. The play callers sort of panicked and froze up.

I don’t buy number 1 at all. How can that even happen?
I sure as hell don’t want to believe 2.
Numbers 3 and 4 are silly.
Numbers 5 and 6 are plausible. Number 5 is the most plausible, and thank goodness the easiest to work around if not fix.

As to the Grainger thing, did the story about him losing the competition come out before or after he decided to transfer? How often are FU second stringers offered scholarships at FBS schools? I bet they started talking to him after we played them and the decision was a no brainer for him. Can’t help but wonder if the lost competition story was apocryphal.
 #37784  by gofurman
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:47 am
Furmanoid wrote:
So several schools of thought are emerging.

1. The pass protection was horrible because 6 or 7 guys simultaneously had “bad days” leading to a “team loss”.
2. Those same guys didn’t have bad days. They just aren’t very good.
3. VMI came up with a revolutionary blitz package that our staff was completely unprepared for.
4. VMI has somehow become good all of a sudden.
5. The young QB was really shaky and made their defense look better than it really was.
6. The play callers sort of panicked and froze up.

I don’t buy number 1 at all. How can that even happen?
I sure as hell don’t want to believe 2.
Numbers 3 and 4 are silly.
Numbers 5 and 6 are plausible. Number 5 is the most plausible, and thank goodness the easiest to work around if not fix.

As to the Grainger thing, did the story about him losing the competition come out before or after he decided to transfer? How often are FU second stringers offered scholarships at FBS schools? I bet they started talking to him after we played them and the decision was a no brainer for him. Can’t help but wonder if the lost competition story was apocryphal.
3B in bold has some merit. Which is kinda sad
QCGlue liked this
 #37787  by Fred Garvin
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 am
Fred's middle daughter got engaged Saturday so that's a positive......
QCGlue liked this
 #37790  by Davemeister
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:43 am
Furmanoid wrote:
If this theory is true, maybe it explains DG's lack of effectiveness in the remainder of the 2019 season. He already had his bags packed.
 #37792  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:50 am
Davemeister wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:43 am
Furmanoid wrote:
If this theory is true, maybe it explains DG's lack of effectiveness in the remainder of the 2019 season. He already had his bags packed.

There are more than a few players on Georgia State's team that had offers from Furman and vice versa.

There are also Furman and SoCon guys on Georgia State's coaching staff.

So, it's not inconceivable they could take interest in one of our players. They've taken an interest in a number of our players.
 #37794  by JohnW
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:26 pm
Been biting my tongue on the supposed Sisson emergence in the fall as number one. To answer a previous posters question, Clay made that assertion after DG transferred. He first hinted at tampering, then said Hamp took over in the fall, and then implied Furman academically was a struggle and he wanted a more compatible situation.

Prior to these statements Coach said DG had really set himself apart as the starter coming out of spring. In the fall he said both had improved as they should. IMO if DG were here he'd be starting, he's not and for his sake I think that's best.
 #37797  by Furmanoid
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:50 pm
JohnW wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:26 pm
Been biting my tongue on the supposed Sisson emergence in the fall as number one. To answer a previous posters question, Clay made that assertion after DG transferred. He first hinted at tampering, then said Hamp took over in the fall, and then implied Furman academically was a struggle and he wanted a more compatible situation.

Prior to these statements Coach said DG had really set himself apart as the starter coming out of spring. In the fall he said both had improved as they should. IMO if DG were here he'd be starting, he's not and for his sake I think that's best.
That all makes a lot more sense.
 #37798  by gofurman
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:55 pm
curiousfan wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:29 pm
Here is a positive not mentioned: Kendall Thomas (freshman) looked explosive on a couple of plays
Yes he did! That's a good one.

POSITIVES were: The ENTIRE defense (most all day), passes to and caught by DeLuca, and a few bursts where you could see the speed of KT on the edge. Like I always say - you ...Always... Want ...Speed.
(Someone once told me our offense didn't require speed :shock: )
 #37799  by bj93
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:19 pm
Thomas did look awesome. So glad he only carried it 5 times (sarcasm). He averaged 12.5 yards a carry. Maybe just maybe we should have tried to attack the edge a little more rather than run it into the Red Sea of VMI's defense over and over and over again.
 #37801  by Davemeister
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:23 pm
KT has indeed been impressive. If he and Wayne Anderson are an indication of what the Lone Star State has to offer, may the Eyes of Texas be upon us!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.