• Other SoCon Games

#37883  by Furmanoid
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:21 am
I wonder how many cancellations this season were based on this depleted “position group” angle. It is a pretty huge loophole. Back in the summer I remember thinking teams would have to lose about 70 players before cancelling because I see teams show up with around 30 on Fridays. Sometimes HS teams even IMPROVE when injuries force coaches to play their best guys both ways, and simplify their game plans. The on the fly improvisation can be fun to watch.

One of my favorite 6th /7th grade games was when a real savage on the other team scared my tail back, and two QB’s into faking concussions. I had noticed just fooling around that my nose tackle could throw nice. Put him in at QB and he had about 100yds and two long TD passes in foster he second half just drawing stuff up in the dirt. Played QB for the rest of the year. Ended up playing center at HS when my son became ill. Had a lovely snap.

But college coaches are soooo spoiled and so afraid of competing that they all agreed on this silly bail out option. I bet some will want to keep it next season. So if several of your position X guys are truly out, you just reassign the bottom guys in the group to position Y. Then you say “Dang, I don’t have but 4 in position X. Gotta cancel.”
FurmAlum, Affirm liked this
 #37884  by Furmanoid
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:22 am
Furmanoid wrote:
I wonder how many cancellations this season were based on this depleted “position group” angle. It is a pretty huge loophole. Back in the summer I remember thinking teams would have to lose about 70 players before cancelling because I see teams show up with around 30 on Fridays. Sometimes HS teams even IMPROVE when injuries force coaches to play their best guys both ways, and simplify their game plans. The on the fly improvisation can be fun to watch.

One of my favorite 6th /7th grade games was when a real savage on the other team scared my tail back, and two QB’s into faking concussions. I had noticed just fooling around that my nose tackle could throw nice. Put him in at QB and he had about 100yds and two long TD passes in the second half just drawing stuff up in the dirt. Played QB for the rest of the year. Ended up playing center at HS when my son became ill. Had a lovely snap.

But college coaches are soooo spoiled and so afraid of competing that they all agreed on this silly bail out option. I bet some will want to keep it next season. So if several of your position X guys are truly out, you just reassign the bottom guys in the group to position Y. Then you say “Dang, I don’t have but 4 in position X. Gotta cancel.”
 #37888  by The Jackal
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:55 am
Furmanoid wrote:

One of my favorite 6th /7th grade games was when a real savage on the other team scared my tail back, and two QB’s into faking concussions. I had noticed just fooling around that my nose tackle could throw nice. Put him in at QB and he had about 100yds and two long TD passes in foster he second half just drawing stuff up in the dirt. Played QB for the rest of the year. Ended up playing center at HS when my son became ill. Had a lovely snap.

I bet if Coach Conklin asked for volunteers from his depth chart offensive linemen, he'd have to beat them off with a stick.

I'd wager nearly every offensive lineman on Wofford's team played defensive line in high school.
FUBeAR, FurmAlum, Affirm and 1 others liked this
 #37889  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:49 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:55 am
Furmanoid wrote:

I bet if Coach Conklin asked for volunteers from his depth chart offensive linemen, he'd have to beat them off with a stick.

I'd wager nearly every offensive lineman on Wofford's team played defensive line in high school.
A little school in Travelers Rest once moved their starting Fullback to NG because the DL was ‘thin.’ That Team won their 1st-ever SoCon Championship & that FB-cum-NG was named All SoCon.

Woffy has a 6-4 270 TE, not on their 2-Deep @ TE. If he’s athletic enough to play TE at that size, he’s athletic enough to play DL. May not be quite dumb enough, but he’ll acquire that attribute once he starts hanging around with those on The Dark Side.
Affirm liked this
 #37906  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 pm
If you have a compelling desire to listen to 8 straight minutes of whining, just click play.

“The conference has said you have to have 6 [Defensive Linemen] to be able to play.” - Wofford Head Coach

Can someone with great connections in the SoCon office please get a copy of the (dated 2/20/21 or earlier) document verifying that “the conference” prohibits Teams from playing if they claim they don’t have 6 DLmen ready to play at the start of the game?

If that’s the case, shouldn’t the game have been stopped & postponed last Saturday as soon as Woffy lost a DLman, leaving them claiming they only have 5? Perhaps there is an appeal to the SoCon Office in the works right now, filed by the TearyTerriers, for that very reason. Perhaps the result of Woffy @ Chatt will be voided & Woffy is still 1-0 with the Mocs sitting at 0-0.

Also...if you didn’t like/watch the 1st video, here’s Wofford Football’s hype video for the 2021 Spring Season...

QCGlue liked this
 #37958  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:11 pm
Why would you showcase WCU 2 weeks in a row? SoCon. Who could we put on that would really make us look bad? I got it!!! Lets put the team on that is now 0-5 and given up 200 points.
Flagman, Affirm, dornb liked this
 #37960  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:22 pm
Maybe the suspended bellhops could suit up as DLmen for the TearyTerriers...

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ ... eaf86.html
 #37962  by gofurman
 Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:08 pm
Thanks for that article bear. 4 football players to be suspended each game until all 28-30 have missed a game.
 #38516  by Flagman
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:41 pm
gofurman wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:08 pm
Thanks for that article bear. 4 football players to be suspended each game until all 28-30 have missed a game.
They’ll have to suspend more than 4 per game, since there’re only 4 game remaining in this spring season. If they do that, they can pull a “woffy” and refuse to play for lack of players.
QCGlue liked this
 #38521  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:24 pm
Mercer’s O, apparently, was engulfed in the bus fire. VMI’s D is good, but they were barely challenged today.

Sorry Team, but I see VMI going an unblemished 6-0 in the SoCon...

Samford’s D cannot stop VMI, but VMI’s can stop Samford’s O. Wofford will probably Conklin out to avoid an L - which they will get IF they man-up and play. CIT obviously has serious issues. ETSU is the SoCon’s only hope of hangin’ an L on the Keydets.

At 6-0 (assuming the Teary-ers will Conklin out of their 3/27 game with VMI), with an FBS P5 ‘Recruit’ playing QB, any chance VMI is the #1 seed in the Playoffs?
 #38523  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:38 pm
VMI has an open week on April 10 and Chatty is scheduled to face Samford. With Samford theoretically already eliminated with two losses, any chance the SoCon does the right thing and schedules the VMI/Chatt makeup for that weekend? There is a possibility, heaven forbid, that they both go undefeated.
 #38524  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:46 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:38 pm
VMI has an open week on April 10 and Chatty is scheduled to face Samford. With Samford theoretically already eliminated with two losses, any chance the SoCon does the right thing and schedules the VMI/Chatt makeup for that weekend? There is a possibility, heaven forbid, that they both go undefeated.
That’s not “the right thing.”

Playing the games as scheduled is the right thing. Chatt wimped out of playing VMI for all kinds of BS reason & Wofford totally manipulated the system to avoid putting another L on Conklin’s resume.

Samford’s Players should not be deprived of a game because Chatt’s Adminstration/Coaches didn’t do their jobs or Woffy’s Head Coach would give either (perhaps both) of his testicles to escape SparkleCity!
 #38574  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:35 pm
After all the bellyaching the Citadel did to play this spring, they look like a strong candidate for an 0-12 season.

They are 0-7 and have already played arguably the worst teams on their schedule. I wonder if pushing to play this spring will cost Brent Thompson his job.
Davemeister liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.