• No 2020 Season

#30078  by Flagman
 Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:55 pm
If it’s spring for the fbs games, I hope it’s not a scrimmage (controlled). It needs to be a real game. Then there’s a question of who plays. What about seniors who finished eligibility? FBS players with pro aspirations who likely would not play for fear of injury.
 #30079  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:24 pm
Flagman wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:55 pm
If it’s spring for the fbs games, I hope it’s not a scrimmage (controlled). It needs to be a real game. Then there’s a question of who plays. What about seniors who finished eligibility? FBS players with pro aspirations who likely would not play for fear of injury.
It’s a stupid idea that has no value,
 #30082  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:37 pm
Someone brought up a good question on the radio. We’ve been told all along that no students on campus means no football. Why? When you think about it it could very well be better without other students. Just players in one dorm or 2, not just football where they would not have to mingle with other students. They could do their normal classes online and play football.
Roundball, Davemeister, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #30083  by fufanatic
 Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:37 pm
Someone brought up a good question on the radio. We’ve been told all along that no students on campus means no football. Why? When you think about it it could very well be better without other students. Just players in one dorm or 2, not just football where they would not have to mingle with other students. They could do their normal classes online and play football.
Completely agree. The closest you could get to an NBA bubble setting in college.
dornb liked this
 #30087  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:19 am
It seems that some teams are still planning on having a season despite having some of their games cancelled already. Louisiana Tech just added FCS Houston Baptist to their 2020 schedule. Ran into a guy from JMU and he said they are still planning on a season even though they only have 3 games and one of those is at UNC which is in jeopardy. We agreed FU and JMU should play if the ACC and SEC cancel FCS games as expected.
 #30095  by Roundball
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:02 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:56 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:47 pm
“NCAA Board of Governors vote could strike significant blow to FBS college football being played this fall.” https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... this-fall/
Read the misleading headline and then the first sentence. Means nothing.
Actually, read the rest of the article. It does mean something. Deny all you want to, these discussions and meetings do have an impact on the decision makers. Here is another article on why this decision by the Board of Governors means something. “ Citadel, Charleston Southern plan to play football. But will there be a title to play for?” https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 89e46.html

I will add a reminder. The James Madison AD is already on record as stating if there is no FCS playoffs, they will not play a regular season. Also, NDSU’s AD was on ESPNU radio this morning, saying the meeting today is important. The decision of the Board of Governors has huge implications.
Last edited by Roundball on Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #30097  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:07 am
Roundball wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:02 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:56 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:47 pm
“NCAA Board of Governors vote could strike significant blow to FBS college football being played this fall.” https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... this-fall/
Read the misleading headline and then the first sentence. Means nothing.
Actually, read the rest of the article. It does mean something. Deny all you want to, these discussions and meetings do have an impact on the decision makers. Here is another article on why this decision by the Board of Governors means something. “ Citadel, Charleston Southern plan to play football. But will there be a title to play for?” https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 89e46.html
As to the National title and playoffs and such, I quit caring about that weeks ago. If we have them, great, but just a relatively normal schedule from mid September forward would be fine. There’s at least a conference title. That used to be all there was anyway before the DIAA era. If the conference isn’t all in, I’m fine with playing whoever we can find. We could certainly shame Citadel and VMI into playing. JMU will play anybody. ETSU probably hasn’t even heard about the virus. There will probably be holes in ACC and SEC conference schedules left by schools like Vandy, BC and Duke who can’t possibly play for political reasons. There may also be Big Sky teams looking for games.
 #30099  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 am
I like your positive thinking Furmanoid but you forget who has all the power. No way ED would allow FU to have a reconfigured schedule if the SoCon nixes the conference schedule.
 #30100  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:46 am
apaladin wrote:
I like your positive thinking Furmanoid but you forget who has all the power. No way ED would allow FU to have a reconfigured schedule if the SoCon nixes the conference schedule.
She has to pretend she likes football or Jerry Jones might kick her off that board. That’s a better gig than Furman President.
 #30101  by The Jackal
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:34 am
apaladin wrote:
Allowance aside, I'm not sure how you throw together a football schedule in a month.

Reading the tea leaves, my guess is that the SoCon is full steam ahead on football (or else they would have made an announcement by now).
 #30103  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:38 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:34 am
apaladin wrote:
Allowance aside, I'm not sure how you throw together a football schedule in a month.

Reading the tea leaves, my guess is that the SoCon is full steam ahead on football (or else they would have made an announcement by now).
I agree for right now but after the ACC and SEC announce conference only or rather their pick and choose schedules I think the SoCon will make an announcement, good or bad, most likely bad.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.