• Will there be football this fall?

#26891  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:20 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:48 am
Would you believe anything President Xi had to say on the subject of the corona virus?
Considering China's new propaganda push to try and swing opinion in China that the virus actually started in Italy, nope
 #26892  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:18 pm
Seems like America will be back open for business in mid April

You older folks proceed with caution and continue to use social distancing if you can, but lots of the population needs to get back to work
 #26893  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:29 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:

You older folks proceed with caution and continue to use social distancing if you can, but lots of the population needs to get back to work
Ageist.
Who doesn’t need to proceed with caution?
Also, please consider that “you older folks” are increasingly involved in being a significant part of the workforce and of America being able to “be open for business.”
 #26894  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:34 pm
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Ageist.
Also, please consider that “you older folks” are increasingly involved in being a significant part of the workforce and of America being able to “be open for business.”

????

There is a balance, you can't shut the economy down for months and months, never been done before and not a realistic expectation for anyone
 #26895  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:03 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Ageist.

????

There is a balance, you can't shut the economy down for months and months, never been done before and not a realistic expectation for anyone
Ageist because of your wording, including “you older folks”.
Just saw that the mortality rate, and the positive testing rate, related to Coronavirus are both significantly higher for men in the US than women.
No one is going to say “you men proceed with caution and Social distance if you can, but females need to get back to work.”
I do acknowledge that we need to get back to work, and as soon as reasonable; but I think we need to be very wise about how we do this.
 #26896  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:26 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:03 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Ageist.

????

Ageist because of your wording, including “you older folks”.
Just saw that the mortality rate, and the positive testing rate, related to Coronavirus are both significantly higher for men in the US than women.
No one is going to say “you men proceed with caution and Social distance if you can, but females need to get back to work.”
I do acknowledge that we need to get back to work, and as soon as reasonable; but I think we need to be very wise about how we do this.

Its a fact that older folks are the ones dealing with the severe conditions
And its a fact that is the group that needs to be the most alert
What was I suppose to say, you senior citizens? Its all the same friend, don't act like I called you guys over the hill geezers or something of that sort ;)
 #26897  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:07 pm
I’m a borderline geezer at 59. If the economy reopens, nobody can force me to go to work. It’s up to me. The economy can recover just fine without me. The important thing is for young guys to make money. Guys who are older than me or are my age and have health problems might want to think about retiring because this thing isn’t going to go away completely, and they aren’t going to get younger. For me the risk seems pretty acceptable, but I’m semi-retired so it doesn’t matter. I will be in the stands every Friday night though.
 #26898  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:38 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:07 pm
I’m a borderline geezer at 59. If the economy reopens, nobody can force me to go to work. It’s up to me. The economy can recover just fine without me. The important thing is for young guys to make money. Guys who are older than me or are my age and have health problems might want to think about retiring because this thing isn’t going to go away completely, and they aren’t going to get younger. For me the risk seems pretty acceptable, but I’m semi-retired so it doesn’t matter. I will be in the stands every Friday night though.
No, I did not want you to say "you old geezers", nor to say "you older guys". You could have said, "restrict the most vulnerable in the population, including those with complicating pre-existing conditions plus everyone over the age of 65 [or 67 or 70 or 75 or 55 or 50 or whatever number you want to choose for whatever reason, hopefully a higher number rather than a lower]".

Furthermore:
Younger people get it from younger people and from older people.
Older people get it from younger people and from older people.

There will be greater difficulty for the whole economy if we do not allow sufficient time for reducing increases in cases, leveling the demand on the healthcare system, and avoiding totally overburdening the ability of the healthcare system to deal with it.

And keep in mind that there are plenty of younger people working on the front lines in health care.

Also keep in mind that 20% of the people currently hospitalized due to coronavirus are between the ages of 20 and 44 years of age. 20% is a lot smaller than 80%, but 20% is still a whole lot of people.
 #26899  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:08 pm
It does appear however that 99% of the fatalities are over 50 with underlying conditions. In Italy most have 3 or more underlying conditions. This is what Dr. Birx said yesterday although the media has pretty much refused to report it. If you are my age and sickly, stay in your house, but why not let the young guys have a future. Most of the old guys I know (80 and up) do not want the country ruined on their account. They understand they are on borrowed time anyway. When you offer to go to the store for them they just laugh at you.

Anyway Henry McMaster is in full freak out mode so SC won’t be loosening up anytime soon.
 #26900  by Flagman
 Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:18 pm
Thread locked because it is no longer about fall football. Start a new thread under General Idiocy, because that is what is driving things now.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.