• Season Ending Thoughts

#21934  by FUGOPURPLE73
 Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 pm
Agree with all the above. This team seemed to lack leadership within. Hopefully, this will be taken care of in the off season and someone will step up to light the fire that is needed
 #21936  by purplehorse
 Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:01 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:40 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:25 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:41 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:04 pm
The record is a reflection of the weakness of those opponents. The Paladins defeated zero quality teams and were brutally crushed in their most important games.

I've seen this show before. Talent deficits can be fixed . . . but lack of desire can't. Hendrix doesn't know how to fix it and his teams are never going to compete at the national level.

There are always excuses and justifications, and I get why fans don't want to face up to the reality. How can this keep happening? Hendrix was the one who was going to right the ship and get back to the days of old.

Maybe no one can.
The loss of GA Southern and App State from the conference really damaged any meaningful fan base that FU had. Those two were great rivals for so many years . I hate to say it, but FU took a fall when it started losing consistently to former DIv 2 Wofford College - that was a new low in the history of the program. We still haven't recovered from it, IMO. Today, the SOCON is a weak football conference - schools like GA Southern, App State, Coastal Carolina, and GA State (former FCS schools gone FBS) have stolen talent that once would have been seen in the SOCON/at Furman. Add in newer FCS schools like Mercer and Kennesaw State, which formerly didn't have football, and the recruiting pot of talented FCS players shrinks even more.

I'm in ATL and try to make it up to a couple of games per year, but honestly, it's quite sad to see the empty stands. I know CCH is trying hard to rebuild the team to its former glory days, but it's gotta be tough averaging 5-8,000 per game. Perhaps the availability of FU football on TV has reduced that number some.

The reality is that most alum could not care less about FU football. I'd say less than 10% of alumni friends even share FB posts on Furman football. Reality is that FCS football will always be regarded as second rate or minor league compared to FBS schools. It's a shame that more alums aren't supportive of their school because it's not prime time football.
You are misinformed when you say most alumni don't care about FU football. FU football exists today because it is important to alumni. I wouldn't say your FB alumni friends is a good barometer of relevance. Check sometime with the administration, or someone who knows.
FUPlayer74,
A former football player who resides in my n'hood that played in the 90s is a good example. He flies the GA Bulldogs flag and nicely told me it was great to play there but he hardly follows FU football anymore. He's not been to a game in years.
There are certainly alumni that have an interest in FU's football program, but attendance is telling. In the late 80's & 90's, FU average. 12-14 K per game. Today, we are at about half that - does that suggest a strong alumni base?
I think FACTS would easily prove the answer here once we define what is meant by "most alumni". And I think the answer is the same for "most current Furman students". I would be using the definition of majority (51% or more).
 #21938  by FUPlayer74
 Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:06 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
The record is a reflection of the weakness of those opponents. The Paladins defeated zero quality teams and were brutally crushed in their most important games.

I've seen this show before. Talent deficits can be fixed . . . but lack of desire can't. Hendrix doesn't know how to fix it and his teams are never going to compete at the national level.

There are always excuses and justifications, and I get why fans don't want to face up to the reality. How can this keep happening? Hendrix was the one who was going to right the ship and get back to the days of old.

Maybe no one can.
The loss of GA Southern and App State from the conference really damaged any meaningful fan base that FU had. Those two were great rivals for so many years . I hate to say it, but FU took a fall when it started losing consistently to former DIv 2 Wofford College - that was a new low in the history of the program. We still haven't recovered from it, IMO. Today, the SOCON is a weak football conference - schools like GA Southern, App State, Coastal Carolina, and GA State (former FCS schools gone FBS) have stolen talent that once would have been seen in the SOCON/at Furman. Add in newer FCS schools like Mercer and Kennesaw State, which formerly didn't have football, and the recruiting pot of talented FCS players shrinks even more.

I'm in ATL and try to make it up to a couple of games per year, but honestly, it's quite sad to see the empty stands. I know CCH is trying hard to rebuild the team to its former glory days, but it's gotta be tough averaging 5-8,000 per game. Perhaps the availability of FU football on TV has reduced that number some.

The reality is that most alum could not care less about FU football. I'd say less than 10% of alumni friends even share FB posts on Furman football. Reality is that FCS football will always be regarded as second rate or minor league compared to FBS schools. It's a shame that more alums aren't supportive of their school because it's not prime time football.
You are misinformed when you say most alumni don't care about FU football. FU football exists today because it is important to alumni. I wouldn't say your FB alumni friends is a good barometer of relevance. Check sometime with the administration, or someone who knows.
FUPlayer74,
A former football player who resides in my n'hood that played in the 90s is a good example. He flies the GA Bulldogs flag and nicely told me it was great to play there but he hardly follows FU football anymore. He's not been to a game in years.
There are certainly alumni that have an interest in FU's football program, but attendance is telling. In the late 80's & 90's, FU average. 12-14 K per game. Today, we are at about half that - does that suggest a strong alumni base?
I agree with you with the attendance numbers, which is a problem with many non power 5 programs, I take exception with your comment that "most alumni could care less", which is off base.
MNORM liked this
 #21939  by Paladin91
 Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:08 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Maybe no one can.

FUPlayer74,
I think FACTS would easily prove the answer here once we define what is meant by "most alumni". And I think the answer is the same for "most current Furman students". I would be using the definition of majority (51% or more).
It wouldn't be hard for the University to create a survey to send out to alumni to get a definitive answer. But one thing is for sure, there are fewer alumni in the seats - there is no denying that.
 #21941  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:14 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:08 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Maybe no one can.

FUPlayer74,
It wouldn't be hard for the University to create a survey to send out to alumni to get a definitive answer. But one thing is for sure, there are fewer alumni in the seats - there is no denying that.

This is not just a Furman problem. This is a problem at virtually every college program.

Wofford's home attendance today was less than 2,000.
 #21945  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:45 am
furmandad wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:30 pm
FUPlayer74, you are on point. Peaked early with what we thought was a team that would build over the course of the season with young players. We were exposed, as we really only beat the teams we should have beaten in a weak SoCon. Lost (badly) games against decent teams that we needed to beat. Lots of issues that have been mentioned on multiple threads. My biggest disappointment was we had no energy, inspiration or leadership in the big games that we lost. Including today. From beginning to end. Coaching staff needs to be held accountable for this as well - too easy to pass it off as young team. Lots of high flying chest bumps when you're beating Point ........ I get needing athletic upgrade @ many positions; I don't understand lack of inspiration & fight against Citadel/Wofford/AP.
THIS. I don’t want to hear how we played well against POINT. It was a little shocking how physically whipped we were by Citadel, Woff and AP. And how we need more fight and nastiness.

And can we please learn fundamental tackling ? That was painful

Look it was a pretty good year (I said 7-5 pre-season) but it felt empty as it closed out watching us and Woff lose and realizing our entire conference is in need of some talent. I mean, Woff and Furman were the best the SoCon had and lost to Austin Peya and KSU today. I too wonder if that old school talent is even available or have the HUNDREDS of new scholarships at Mercer and Campbell and UNC-Charlotte and KSU etc hurt us
 #21946  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:18 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:08 pm
Lots of piling on today in reading these posts, and understandable. No one wants to see us go out this way. I suppose its healthy that we have as many folks as we do who care. I don't know. Can't really put my finger on what happened with this team that started out so promising. You don't see many teams that go this way, peaking around the Samford game and downhill from there. I'm sure CCH and the staff are also wondering. Good season, made the playoffs, lots of young players, recruiting looks good, all good, BUT, we've got to get better in so many areas to compete with physical teams. And we've got to find a way to build some fire and take that to the field.
I think we need to keep some of that in perspective.

We won 8 games against a challenging schedule. I think that's a positive. Making the playoffs was a big thing. I hate that we laid an egg. You play poorly against a good team, and they'll punish you for it.

The team is still young. I don't think we can use that excuse forever, but I do think it applies here. I'm not sure how we ended up with what seemed like freshmen at every key position, but that's what we have.

I think the coaching staff has a plan. These games are concerning. Good teams lose games from time to time. Good teams don't get physically whipped, and we've seen that a few times this year.

There's a lot riding on next year.
Jackal, You are spot on.

Everyone loses ... Not everyone gets physically whipped. We had that same feeling three times this year. And Woff losing to KSU Implies we aren’t even in a strong conference. We shouldn’t have gotten whipped at LOS three times
 #21948  by Buddy Cucharas
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:25 am
Reading the above posts, I am heartened to see so many people with so much emotional investment in Paladin football.

I wonder why the APSU announcer at the stadium couldn't pronounce "Paladins"? Its just not that hard. You'd think he'd never played D&D or WOW before.

Overall, I would say let's not get too down on today's performance. This startling defeat reminds me of something George Pickett supposedly said, after the war, when asked why Pickett's charge failed. His reply was "I've always thought the Yankees had something to do with it."

In a rare disagreement with PurpleHorse, I contend his definition of Majority is in error. A majority is not 51%, but 50% plus one. I am confident we can get past this disagreement, and move on to a fruitful and growing relationship.

I'm more in line with Sluggo. It was indeed a dandy of a season.

Now I've got a rotting opossum in my underbrush, and it stinks to high heaven. Bootie had me lure it with table scraps, and, well, its a long story.
PalaDad, Bootie, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #21949  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:20 am
So Hendrix in his first 3 years:
8-5 Second round of playoffs
6-4 SoCon Champs
8-5 First round of playoffs

Bottom line, that's all behind us now, the only thing that matters is figuring out a way to beat Wofford in the opener next season

Now in the mean time, let's all get behind this Furman Basketball program!!
 #21953  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:42 am
Pioneer League. PFL for FB. SoCon or a better league (A10, CAA) for all other sports.
Last edited by Affirm on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #21957  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:29 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
6-4 SoCon Champs

Bottom line, that's all behind us now, the only thing that matters is figuring out a way to beat Wofford in the opener next season

It's been a successful first three years, especially after such a dismal period under the prior administration.

I do think that in 2020 the expectations will be higher.
FUKA61, din23 liked this
 #21961  by Jasper
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:13 am
The Jackal wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
6-4 SoCon Champs

It's been a successful first three years, especially after such a dismal period under the prior administration.

I doubt that very much. I think high expectations after the FBS games has lead to the disappointment with the team's performance in all the big games thereafter. There is no way that this team was a top 10 team this year - at any time.
 #21962  by purplehorse
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:53 am
Really need to develop a more skilled receiving corps (including speed) for the future as well as more depth -especially with Gordon graduating.
 #21963  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 am
Jasper wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:13 am
The Jackal wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
6-4 SoCon Champs

I doubt that very much. I think high expectations after the FBS games has lead to the disappointment with the team's performance in all the big games thereafter. There is no way that this team was a top 10 team this year - at any time.
I disagree. Furman has played for the SoCon title three straight seasons under Hendrix. Hendrix's first recruiting class will now be seniors. The team is talented enough to play for an automatic qualifier to the post season.
 #21964  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:07 am
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:53 am
Really need to develop a more skilled receiving corps (including speed) for the future as well as more depth -especially with Gordon graduating.
The WR depth is an interesting question. Going into the season I think we were expecting to have Burnett, Shiflett, and Bell, and that really never came to fruition.

Furman utilizes two different positions classified as WR - flanker and split.

It would seem Bell is destined to take over Gordon's flanker position. Furman's coaches clearly like him, and you saw he and Gordon on the field together against Austin Peay, something we had not really seen this year.

Deluca has nearly 20 starts at the split end position, In fact, I think he was starting over Burnett last year. Seems like he'll continue to man that spot.

Behind them, I'm not really sure what we'll see. Avery Armstrong graduates, but he was never much of a pass catcher in this offense. Zach Peterson was listed on the depth chart. I know they like Luke Wilson, who played in 4 games. Beyond those guys, there's very little experience.

I'm not on the coaching staff, but I'd love to see Furman to try and recruit "true" TEs. The TE depth chart has been woefully thin for years, and we are routinely having to move guys to that position to fill in gaps.

I'd love to find a more traditional player for that role in recruiting to play along side Walker, add another big body to run block and create matchup problems, and rotate Ryan Miller in as a pass catcher.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.