• VMI @ #9 Furman (Nov. 9th)

#19785  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:57 pm
gman84 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:05 pm
VMI is a much improved team. They are 4-5. Yes, they could beat us. However, I'm not losing any sleep worrying about that possibility.
Apologize if this point has been made somewhere else...When I noticed that VMI scored "only" 35 versus Western Carolina I looked a little deeper....they turned it over 5 times vs the Cantamounts....
 #19816  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:37 am
Paul C wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:57 pm
gman84 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:05 pm
VMI is a much improved team. They are 4-5. Yes, they could beat us. However, I'm not losing any sleep worrying about that possibility.
Apologize if this point has been made somewhere else...When I noticed that VMI scored "only" 35 versus Western Carolina I looked a little deeper....they turned it over 5 times vs the Cantamounts....
I am scared. :D No one should sleep at all on this VMI team. They beat a physical Citadel team on road. . Without turnovers they woulda maybe put 40-50 on wcu. Amazing they were in game w 5 turnovers. Summary they have a great Ô. It’s a balanced Ô I think. The VMI D is not great and therein is a strong Furman advantage
 #19826  by AstroDin
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:47 am
a few uneducated thoughts about this matchup…

I like how our defensive line is playing - with the ability to rotate heavily our smaller, quicker players we seem to play stronger in the second half of games. I'd look for front four to play strong.

Trapp was held out against UTC but was dressed out, I bet we see him Saturday, Trapp played step for step with Durden.

I love our corners, the additions of Blackshear and Chizik has been a big upside.
 #19836  by gman84
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:27 am
VMI will move the ball on us and maybe score more points than some on here can handle. However, I agree with Astro. Our depth on defense should pay dividends as the game progresses. I also look for us to grind down the clock to limit their TOP. However, if we score with multiple big plays like the Samford game then so much for that plan. Going to have great football weather!!!!
 #19846  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:22 pm
gman84 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:27 am
VMI will move the ball on us and maybe score more points than some on here can handle. However, I agree with Astro. Our depth on defense should pay dividends as the game progresses. I also look for us to grind down the clock to limit their TOP. However, if we score with multiple big plays like the Samford game then so much for that plan. Going to have great football weather!!!!
Agree. This is not your fathers VMI team. Kudos to VMI coaching staff on getting all they can out of talent.
Vegas says we win 40-20 or thereabouts. That appears right. Leave no doubt. Every team can beat us. Start fast (CH himself has addressed this - we are doing great but one item we could improve on is our start to game., last week, western, Citadel etc) and Finish strong. We finish strong well. Need to start faster
 #19862  by Davemeister
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:25 pm
Defense needs improvement on two things this week:

1) Get the QB. We sacked Tiano once last week.
2) Tackle VMI's RB better than we tackled Ford.
 #19872  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:36 pm
Davemeister wrote:

Yep. Ford is a super RB (man 3 more years of that guy - UTC found a good one) and like Devezin will make guys miss tackles but we coulda tackled a little better. The announcers in game noted that until q4 Taino had too much time. And he did. A few plays he had 5 seconds to scan the field, that’s a lotta pressure on our backfield - thankfully they handled it !

All that said our D is really impressive. Man giving up 14 points per game in FCS competition. Way to go!!!
 #19939  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:36 pm
Davemeister wrote:

Yep. Ford is a super RB (man 3 more years of that guy - UTC found a good one) and like Devezin will make guys miss tackles but we coulda tackled a little better. The announcers in game noted that until q4 Taino had too much time. And he did. A few plays he had 5 seconds to scan the field, that’s a lotta pressure on our backfield - thankfully they handled it !

All that said our D is really impressive. Man giving up 14 points per game in FCS competition. Way to go!!!
This is what scares me about this game. If we give VMI as much time to throw as we did at UTC they will hurt us. VMI has the best QB in the SoCon and really good receivers. I know most say oh we will outscore them. Maybe but remember we are starting a first time starter. Who knows how the offense will play? If they have a subpar game which we have seen a couple of times this year it could be a long day. Hopefully the coaches can come up with a way to get pressure on the VMI QB.
 #19944  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:37 pm
What this season has given you indication that our defense, which has been best in the SoCon all season, is going to have a bad day?
 #19946  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:55 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:37 pm
What this season has given you indication that our defense, which has been best in the SoCon all season, is going to have a bad day?
That's not what I said.
 #19947  by Thorny
 Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:18 pm
Much to the Paladin faithful's chagrin Coach Vaughn does not appear to be interested in style points. It's like he comes up with a game plan based on the opponent. Sometimes there are sacks, sometimes interceptions, and sometimes fumbles but no matter what the other team scores very few points and that is something all of you are going to have to learn to live with.
PaladinDad2020 liked this
 #19948  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm
This is what scares me about this game. If we give VMI as much time to throw as we did at UTC they will hurt us.
I’m no defensive coordinator, but I have to think plans change with each offense. UTC’s main threat was at RB and I’m sure that’s where the focus was. New offense this week and the focus will shift. Probably something like the Mercer and Samford games: no big pass plays, and stuff the run.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.