• Article ( QB discussion)

#15088  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:51 pm
Let's do this. Let's just wait and see what happens, shall we?
[/quote]

NO!! That would be no fun! That would be like saying "Well, Christmas is coming but don't worry about it or talk about let's just wait and see what happens. ;)
 #15090  by fufanatic
 Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:50 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:07 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:52 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:59 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:10 pm
Remember, he didn't come to Furman to play another position. If he was ok playing another position he would/could have stayed at MTSU.
There are dozens of reasons why a player may opt to transfer.

I imagine he'll be given a shot to win the QB job. If he doesn't, then everyone is going need to make a decision about whether he's best utilized on the bench or in the game at another position.
So we keep talking about how much of a presence Shiflett had at MTSU, but in looking at the stats, even though he played in all 14 games, he had 7 receptions for 47 yards, 1 rush for 0 yards, and four punts for a 35.5 average. So while any true freshman seeing playing time on the college level is impressive, there's a decent chance that he transferred to FCS and Furman to get more playing time. So while I'm sure he would love to be the starting QB, I can't imagine that he wouldn't be able to step on the field right away (and wouldn't turn down the opportunity) at other positions if he's as athletic as we've been told. At returner or receiver or back-up punting.

At the end of the day, the coaches will put the best QB on the field, and if the others can contribute in another meaningful way, they'll hopefully be given that opportunity.
Maybe. That doesn't tell you much, though.

Example - Avery Armstrong. Armstrong has 5 career receptions for 82 yards. He has played in nearly every game the last two seasons and is on the field constantly.

Just because a guy doesn't put up numbers doesn't mean he's not playing.
Potato, potato. I'll phrase it like this ... maybe he transferred to Furman to not just be a guy that stands on the field during game action, maybe he's looking for a chance to get the ball in his hand and make plays more than a few times a year. Just one theory. There could be a variety of reasons. I just hope he can help the team win games.
 #15105  by FUPlayer74
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:29 am
apaladin wrote:
Remember, he didn't come to Furman to play another position. If he was ok playing another position he would/could have stayed at MTSU.
He's coming here to win the qb job. I'm told if that doesn't happen he's fine with playing another position. I believe our coaches are smart enough to cover those bases before bringing him in.
MNORM, fufanatic, apaladin and 2 others liked this
 #15137  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:49 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
He's coming here to win the qb job. I'm told if that doesn't happen he's fine with playing another position. I believe our coaches are smart enough to cover those bases before bringing him in.
I think a possibility that could work out is if he's really athletic (hope he is a killer !) but not very experienced in our system... maybe play at WR or RB or KOR this year and keep working to maybe be one of top two QBs next year? it's just a thought .. My .02
 #15143  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:16 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:49 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I think a possibility that could work out is if he's really athletic (hope he is a killer !) but not very experienced in our system... maybe play at WR or RB or KOR this year and keep working to maybe be one of top two QBs next year? it's just a thought .. My .02
RIGHT ON!

I would imagine Mr. Shiflett is well aware of the interesting & winding road of QB/WR David Sills V. If you (somehow) don’t know who that is, Googling is your friend. If Mr. Shiflett is not aware of Sills, he should be. The really cool thing, in FUBeAR’s eyes, is that Mr. Sills kinda sorta has some distant Paladin DNA in him & his WR Coach at the Buffalo Bills also has strong familial ties to FU.

Pretty simple really...GO FOR IT, MAN! Reach for your dreams & try to play where and what you want to PLAY....BUT...MOST IMPORTANTLY...PLAY!!! BALL OUT wherever you can help the ballclub, Lord willin’...and then....go dreamchasin’ again...then BALL OUT again.

Seems like maybe that’s zactly what he did at MTSU & why he’s now at FU...and I expect if he ain’t starting @ QB this Fall...he’s gonna be on the field BALLING OUT at WR...or, maybe, Safety :shock:

It’s ALL GOOD!
 #15145  by DeepPurple
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:38 am
One solid thing is we can run the football. I mean we should be really good up front with super running backs. This should be able to take much pressure off our QBS. We have depth. I sure like the fact that Coach GQ is coaching the QBs. This year could be special. I am looking forward to toe meeting leather!
 #15146  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:32 am
DeepPurple wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:38 am
One solid thing is we can run the football. I mean we should be really good up front with super running backs. This should be able to take much pressure off our QBS. We have depth. I sure like the fact that Coach GQ is coaching the QBs. This year could be special. I am looking forward to toe meeting leather!
That is, in my opinion, a key factor. Maybe the most key.

As I've stated, even if the QBs suck, we have a lot working for us:

1. The running game should be solid. We are as deep at running back as we've been in years. We have a veteran solid offensive line and a few QBs that can run.

2. The defense should be good. Suppress points, force turnovers, give the offense good field position.

3. Grayson Atkins. All American kicker who is consistent from just about anything inside of 55. That is, the offense probably has to get the ball inside the 40 yard line to have a realistic shot at scoring.

Those three things are going to be difference makers for a young QB. We don't need him to carry the team. We need 10 or 11 completions a game and no turnovers.
Rokawaylifer liked this
 #15189  by gofurman
 Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:04 pm
gman wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:11 am
Good message from Hamp Sisson.

Great stuff. Whether you agree with your teammates views or not (no way you all will agree on political issues etc.) you can always love each other and have each other's back. Agree to disagree off the field and have each other's back on the field. Nice work Hamp !
PalaDad, MNORM liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.