• The 2020 Season

#29068  by Paul C
 Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:47 pm
“The majority of the cases are asymptomatic and none have required hospitalization, according to the school.”

Seems to be the trend with most of these new cases coming from younger folks who are much more resilient. And/or the virus itself is becoming less virulent as it evolves....which apparently is typical.
 #29069  by apaladin
 Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:04 am
Paul C wrote:
“The majority of the cases are asymptomatic and none have required hospitalization, according to the school.”

Seems to be the trend with most of these new cases coming from younger folks who are much more resilient. And/or the virus itself is becoming less virulent as it evolves....which apparently is typical.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Of course the media will never report it this way that most caese are mild to no symptons at all. I said most not all. To the news media every case is life threatening to hear them tell it.
 #29080  by Affirm
 Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:37 pm
Paul C wrote:

Whether younger folks are more resilient or not, they still can infect older folks and also can infect younger folks who may not be so resilient. Just being asymptomatic does not mean that one is non-contagious. And, not all young adults will only see mild symptoms.

The following published today is what people need to be aware of:

“SC surpasses 1,000 cases in record-breaking day”
(The State Saturday 6/20/2020)
A day after SC reported its largest single-day increase in coronavirus cases, state health officials say it broke that record after they identified 1,081 more Friday….
Before Friday, the Palmetto State had never seen a single-day increase of 1,000 …
State officials … are seeing a spike in cases in people under the age of 30.
…[SC DHEC] announced Friday that 18 more people died after contracting the virus. In all, 639 people have died in SC after testing positive ….
“…COVID-19 is not over,” DHEC’s Dr. Brannon Traxler said Friday.
Charleston … largest increase in cases with 153 …. followed by Greenville and Horry counties with 115 new cases each.
Horry …saw three new deaths, tying …Greenville for the most reported out of any county. …
People under the age of 30 have seen the largest spike in their coronavirus infection rate, with about a 400% increase in cases since April 4. According to DHEC, 18.4% of all cases were patients between the ages of 21-30.
People in their teens account for about 7% of all cases.

“… a warning that young adults and youth are not immune to COVID-19,” Traxler said. “… younger South Carolinians are not taking social distancing seriously.”
Traxler also warned that not all young adults will see only mild symptoms.
… misconception that the state is in its “second wave” of coronavirus cases.
“We are still in the first wave, “ Traxler said.
… state health officials suspect that many COVID-19 infections go undiagnosed or untested.

HOW ARE HOSPITALS BEING IMPACTED?
As COVID-19 spreads, the number of the state’s … hospital beds … filled by people with the virus increases.
After breaking the record for the most hospitalized coronavirus patients Thursday, state health officials announced Friday that of … occupied beds, 660 were being used by COVID-19 patients or those who likely have it, setting a new record again. Of those, 83 were on ventilators, Traxler said.
“That’s why we need people to take those public health recommendations seriously,” Traxler said.
Hospitals across the state were at 71.2% capacity.
… [many] hospitals are seeing an even larger shortage in bed space. In Richland County, 74.5% of beds are in use, and in Lexington County, 81.7%.
In April and May, the daily number of hospitalized patients averaged about 411, and did not surpass 500. In ten of the last eleven days, the number of COVID-19 patients, confirmed or suspected, who were hospitalized exceeded 500.
DHEC officials have warned that an uptick in coronavirus cases may lead to an increase in hospitalizations weeks later.
South Carolina has seen a wave of coronavirus cases lately … the virus’ activity in the state is increasing. Last week, DHEC officials saw daily case counts between 434 and 802, an increase of hundreds of cases from the … counts in March, April and early May.
From mid-April to mid-May, health officials saw, on average, about 166 cases per day. From June 7 to June 14, South Carolina saw an average of 619 new cases per day.
To show that the virus is quickly spreading throughout the state, DHEC … pointed to the percentage of tests that are positive. Over the last 28 days, that number has gone up.
Friday, DHEC officials announced that 16.1% of tests were positive. …
Over 10 of the last 11 days, officials have seen more than 10% of tests showing positive results.
At its lowest point, the percent of positive tests fell between 2-4% on average.
The increase in coronavirus cases could be due to more people leaving their homes and fewer wearing masks and practicing social distancing, DHEC officials have said.
On Thursday, State Epidemiologist Linda Bell pleaded for ... [all] to wear masks every time they leave the home. She also warned that “every day that we don’t all do our part, we are extending the duration” of COVID-19.

… while cases have increased dramatically, the number of daily tests has stayed relatively steady since the week of May 10, completing about 35,000 tests a week.
 #29081  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:13 pm
I think the point was that Clemson athletes are very, very unlikely to get seriously ill.

But you are right that the numbers are getting worse (except for deaths). By now everybody should know how to avoid this Covid crap, but hell no, they manage to go find it. I still don’t know anyone who’s had it aside from a niece up north. But in a couple of hours I’m going to watch from a distance as a massive crowd of people walks up the street to yell at a chunk of granite. Our town will finally get its outbreak.
 #29084  by Roundball
 Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:50 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I think the point was that Clemson athletes are very, very unlikely to get seriously ill.

But you are right that the numbers are getting worse (except for deaths). By now everybody should know how to avoid this Covid crap, but hell no, they manage to go find it. I still don’t know anyone who’s had it aside from a niece up north. But in a couple of hours I’m going to watch from a distance as a massive crowd of people walks up the street to yell at a chunk of granite. Our town will finally get its outbreak.
That piece of granite, if a racist symbol of hate, is a virus too.
 #29085  by FurmAlum
 Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:00 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:27 am
Have we ever worn the gray pants with the purple jersey's? That would look good too. I like 'em all, but the white on white road uniforms are my fav. For home, its the purple and white.
FUBeAR liked this
 #29160  by AstroDin
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:51 am
Looks like Darren Grainger is putting in lots of work. Nice video of Grainger and Mason Garcia (4star) ECU commit working out. Grainger looks really good by the way…

#29163  by gofurman
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:29 am
Furmanoid wrote:

Not negative.. but w COVID uptick and athletes reporting infection I believe the chance of a football season is below 50%. Hope we find a cure and get some fun w football
 #29166  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:16 pm
I’m not that negative. The cv seems to be running through the South pretty good right now, but at this rate maybe it will hit its real peak in early July and start sliding. The Clemson approach is maybe the best. They are getting so many infections that there won’t be anybody to test when the season gets here.
 #29180  by gofurman
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:28 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:16 pm
I’m not that negative. The cv seems to be running through the South pretty good right now, but at this rate maybe it will hit its real peak in early July and start sliding. The Clemson approach is maybe the best. They are getting so many infections that there won’t be anybody to test when the season gets here.
I kind of agree. A friend of mine joked (as these guys are highly likely to be fine as they are in great health) - let's go ahead and infect all the players now.. they will be fine by mid July...
 #29182  by JohnW
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 am
Really don't see the wisdom in having thousands of "typhoid marys" running around out there. Common sense would seem to dictate we do all we can to protect each other and pray godspeed to the people working on treatments and vaccines. Hell, but maybe that's just me.
 #29184  by Roundball
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:26 am
Here we are heading toward the end of June and by all indications the 2020 season is still questionable. It’s real simple folks. Wear a mask to help stop the spread or there will not be a season. I’m beginning to doubt there will be basketball too. Wear a dang mask.
hypercycloid liked this
 #29190  by cavedweller2
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:57 pm
Just curious Roundball, what kind of mask do you wear? N-95, Surgical, Cloth, full face respirator?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:15 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:45 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.