• The 2020 Season

#28515  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:21 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:12 am
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:52 am
I was under the assumption that even if the Tennessee game was not played, the check would still be honored?
Most contracts have a provision for no payment under certain circumstances when a game is canceled. There are a lot of articles written about this. Here is one. https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/coll ... 0200424188
Like I said if the SEC cancels OOC games it would cost them millions and millions. Just don’t see that happening. If you are playing conference games, not playing games OOC makes no sense.
 #28517  by Fessor
 Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:47 am
FU3 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:08 am
There is no current vaccine available for community use and no country on earth that is close to herd immunity. Anyone familiar with the search services Google offers could have obtained that information in about 30 seconds. Since anecdotal descriptions of the severity of the virus seem popular, a 22 year old EMT in Greenville County died of the disease last week.
I could have shared numerous local obits of middle-aged healthy individuals; that was just the most recent.

I was responding to the inaccurate comment that everyone under the age of 65 without a chronic condition would "do fine". Even for those who survive after extended hospitalizations, we don't know the long term sequelae of ARDS and renal failure from the virus, or consequences from the vasculitis syndrome observed in children, but according to the UFFP's resident experts, everyone will do fine.
76MrMoto liked this
 #28518  by FU3
 Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:58 am
Poor wording on my part, I was referring to those posts questioning the severity of the virus.
 #28520  by Roundball
 Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:42 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:21 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:12 am
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:52 am
I was under the assumption that even if the Tennessee game was not played, the check would still be honored?
Most contracts have a provision for no payment under certain circumstances when a game is canceled. There are a lot of articles written about this. Here is one. https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/coll ... 0200424188
Like I said if the SEC cancels OOC games it would cost them millions and millions. Just don’t see that happening. If you are playing conference games, not playing games OOC makes no sense.
I’m only bringing up this possibility because the conferences are discussing a truncated season. It’s one of the options on the table and therefore something we need to be ready for. We should not just ignore the possibilities. It’s going to be a different year of football.
 #28634  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:47 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:23 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:47 pm
Not necessarily good news: https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020 ... id-19.html

5 Alabama football players test positive for COVID
Frank Martin of UofSC tested +.
Did he ever have his knee surgery yet?
Martin tested positive back in March and never had any symptoms, just “felt a little fatigued”, he is feeling great, but let’s don’t post that.
 #28635  by Affirm
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:54 am
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Not necessarily good news: https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020 ... id-19.html

Martin tested positive back in March and never had any symptoms, just “felt a little fatigued” but let’s don’t post that.
Saw the headline, did not read whole article. Thought he got tested during prep for knee surgery & had to be tested. Anyway assumed he had to further postpone the surgery when he tested + , so wondered if he was past whatever knee surgery yet. HIPPAA
 #28638  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:38 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:54 am
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Martin tested positive back in March and never had any symptoms, just “felt a little fatigued” but let’s don’t post that.
Saw the headline, did not read whole article. Thought he got tested during prep for knee surgery & had to be tested. Anyway assumed he had to further postpone the surgery when he tested + , so wondered if he was past whatever knee surgery yet. HIPPAA
Think his knee replacement surgery is next week.
 #28653  by Rokawaylifer
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:24 pm
Cave, up here in the republic of New Jersey I believe the Njsiaa guidelines Have mandated that all balls be washed after every touch.
cavedweller2 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:17 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:00 pm
The SC High School League released guidelines on Friday for starting summer conditioning and practice. They are incomplete and a little silly in places, but at least it’s a start.
Silly? More like comical.
 #28654  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:28 pm
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:24 pm
Cave, up here in the republic of New Jersey I believe the Njsiaa guidelines Have mandated that all balls be washed after every touch.
cavedweller2 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:17 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:00 pm
The SC High School League released guidelines on Friday for starting summer conditioning and practice. They are incomplete and a little silly in places, but at least it’s a start.
Silly? More like comical.
Down here tennis players can no longer touch each other’s balls.
 #28733  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:21 am
Furman will return for the fall semester with in-person instruction beginning a week earlier on Aug. 18

Among the safety measures that will be implemented, the university is planning to:
Supply masks for students, faculty and staff, and require everyone on campus to wear masks in designated areas and where social distancing is not possible.
Reconfigure classrooms and take other steps to promote a healthy and safe learning environment.
Modify dining and housing operations to meet health and safety protocols and to prioritize the student experience.
Ask students, faculty and staff to monitor their health daily and to report any symptoms of COVID-19 and to self-quarantine if they are ill.
Create plans for quarantine and isolation, should that become necessary.
Continue to limit public access to campus.
 #28741  by Affirm
 Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:25 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:21 am
Furman will return for the fall semester with in-person instruction beginning a week earlier on Aug. 18

Among the safety measures that will be implemented, the university is planning to:
Supply masks for students, faculty and staff, and require everyone on campus to wear masks in designated areas and where social distancing is not possible.
Reconfigure classrooms and take other steps to promote a healthy and safe learning environment.
Modify dining and housing operations to meet health and safety protocols and to prioritize the student experience.
Ask students, faculty and staff to monitor their health daily and to report any symptoms of COVID-19 and to self-quarantine if they are ill.
Create plans for quarantine and isolation, should that become necessary.
Continue to limit public access to campus.
And "... with in-person instruction ... ending at the Thanksgiving break, with final exams being conducted remotely. "
This is relevant to the 2020 season.
Of course, it is unknown how or whether the 2020 season is going to be changed from what is presently scheduled.
 #28769  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:51 pm
From what I understand, I guess the thinking here is that if this virus rears its head again this flu season, Furman will have already broken for the semester and there's no need to come back for more instruction and exams.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:32 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.