• 2023 Recruiting Diamond Cha23rs

#65371  by AstroDin
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:45 am
Surprise, surprise on the last two signees…

Furman recruited Hernández hard in High School.
He's a big dude - 6-4 310 NG.

Jaylen Moson is another big get.
Moson is a high 3-star corner.
Originally committed to Tulsa.
Had a lot of FBS offers; GSU, ODU, JakSt, UCF, GaSt, AFA, JMU, Liberty, MTSU, Buffalo, GaTech, ArkSt, FAU, Army, Akron
hypercycloid, Paul C, FUBeAR and 1 others liked this
 #65372  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:30 am
FUBeAR is always extremely excited for the young men blessed enough to have the opportunity to play college football and especially excited for those that have the opportunity to play for Furman.

FUBeAR also is always highly skeptical of recruiting stars, claimed offers, measurables, All-Star & All-whatever accolades, etc., etc., etc. We’ll wait to we see them wearing the Purple on Saturdays before we get too, too excited about their ability to play Championship Football.

That said - this entire Recruiting Class is VERY impressive.

Everyone involved is to be highly commended.
AstroDin, Davemeister, Affirm and 3 others liked this
 #65381  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:10 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:30 am
FUBeAR is always extremely excited for the young men blessed enough to have the opportunity to play college football and especially excited for those that have the opportunity to play for Furman.

FUBeAR also is always highly skeptical of recruiting stars, claimed offers, measurables, All-Star & All-whatever accolades, etc., etc., etc. We’ll wait to we see them wearing the Purple on Saturdays before we get too, too excited about their ability to play Championship Football.

That said - this entire Recruiting Class is VERY impressive.

Everyone involved is to be highly commended.
Not really into stars either, but I think the more impressive aspect is the 25 offers and 12+ FBS offers.

Not scientific, but every player we've had with that many offers has tended to be pretty good.
 #65385  by youwouldno
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:30 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Not scientific, but every player we've had with that many offers has tended to be pretty good.
This is definitely false, I normally don't bother correcting Jackal but this is bad even by his standards.
 #65386  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:20 pm
I think it's interesting how many states are represented in this class. I feel like there was a time not too long ago where the majority of our class was from around Atlanta exclusively. I'm pretty sure we were more limited then to be fair. I don't know how much of our larger footprint is a bigger recruiting budget, the number of schools/competition in our region, the connections this current staff has, or how hard the coaches are working to find the right fits for Furman, but it's pretty impressive. To me at least.

States Represented: Ohio, Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, North Carolina, Texas, California, Florida, and Virginia. If you include the PWOs you can include TN as well. I know some people have issues with no SC players. That's understandable, but it's still pretty cool to see pretty much the entire southeast represented along several of the recruiting "hotbeds" (California, Texas, Ohio)
MNORM liked this
 #65387  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:51 pm
youwouldno wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
This is definitely false, I normally don't bother correcting Jackal but this is bad even by his standards.
I'd love to go back in time and quantify this.

While we've had our share of great players who had limited offers and busts that had lots of offers, I wonder if we aren't biased....when a recruit with several FBS offers becomes an average performer do we label him a bust because of higher expectations? And when a kid with no other D1 offers reaches the same level do we think he's "good", again because of expectations being on the other side of the spectrum?
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #65389  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:18 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:51 pm
youwouldno wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
I'd love to go back in time and quantify this.

While we've had our share of great players who had limited offers and busts that had lots of offers, I wonder if we aren't biased....when a recruit with several FBS offers becomes an average performer do we label him a bust because of higher expectations? And when a kid with no other D1 offers reaches the same level do we think he's "good", again because of expectations being on the other side of the spectrum?

I didn't do a deep dive. We've certainly missed on some well-thought-of recruits.

Just in recent years, Evan Jumper had somewhere around 20 offers. Jack Barton was in that range too. Both of those players ended up being pretty good.

Maybe I should caveat that - I think Hendrix and his staff is pretty good at evaluating talent. If they target a kid that a bunch of other schools want too, odds are they can play a bit.
Louis Tully liked this
 #65427  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:00 pm
A couple more names I saw today.

Griffin Farmery - forgot about his mid January commitment.
Evan Stanley - committed today as a PWO over an offer from Marist I think.
 #65450  by AstroDin
 Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:15 am
A few loose thoughts on stars and offers related to Furman signees…
A quick glance over Hendrix's recruiting classes (on the current roster)

Bryce Stainfield (25 offers) No stars
Jack Barton (20 offers) 2 stars
EJ Wilson (17 offers) 2 stars
Ivan Yates (16 offers) No stars
Bryce McCormick (15 offers) 3 stars
Jeremiah Johnson (15 offers)
Evan DiMaggio (14 offers) No stars
Micah Robinson (12 offers) 3 stars

Under Hendrix, I think there are a couple of sweet spots in Furman recruiting.

Jake Johanning and Hugh Ryan were all-state players who played in all-star games; both had zero stars and two offers (Furman and Wofford). You can also add Dominic Roberto. I believe his only other offer was Elon to play LB.

The other sweet spot is players with a range of offers from 5 offers to 13 offers. Most of Furman's starters fit into this range. Joshua Harris had 8 offers.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.