• No 2020 Season

#30398  by Furmanoid
 Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:37 pm
Roundball wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:33 pm
If the BOG decides no fall championships it could be the nail in the coffin for the NCAA. The FBS has already said they will stage their own championship. Why couldn’t the FCS do the same?
The FCS cannot afford to stage its own championship. Wonder what effect the FBS moving out of the NCAA will have on the other college sports? I hope cooler heads prevail. It could be a mess.
Well I guess the real FCS honchos would be sidelined by a NO vote, so wouldn’t it be up to conferences and teams to stage the playoffs? Aside from setting up the brackets which would take about 15 minutes and sending it to coaches, it’s up to the schools to get where they are supposed to go and play. They should be able to work a deal with hurting airlines and hurting motel chains. Refs will be willing. What’s so hard? They could just do champs plus 1 at large. Simple. Anybody too broke to play could give up their spot.
Flagman, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #30399  by FurmAlum
 Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:47 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
If the BOG decides no fall championships it could be the nail in the coffin for the NCAA. The FBS has already said they will stage their own championship. Why couldn’t the FCS do the same?
The FCS cannot afford to stage its own championship. Wonder what effect the FBS moving out of the NCAA will have on the other college sports? I hope cooler heads prevail. It could be a mess.
Well I guess the real FCS honchos would be sidelined by a NO vote, so wouldn’t it be up to conferences and teams to stage the playoffs? Aside from setting up the brackets which would take about 15 minutes and sending it to coaches, it’s up to the schools to get where they are supposed to go and play. They should be able to work a deal with hurting airlines and hurting motel chains. Refs will be willing. What’s so hard? They could just do champs plus 1 at large. Simple. Anybody too broke to play could give up their spot.
I bet they could even find a TV network that might pay a little money to televise it too.
 #30400  by Flagman
The worst part in all of this is the waiting and the uncertainty. Why is the NCAA BOG waiting until Tuesday? Do they really expect things to change significantly? This could have been done weeks ago. Most schools have already gotten their teams back on campus.
JohnKX512 liked this
 #30401  by Flagman
 Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:45 am
Does the new tweet from FU football this morning give hope there will be a season? The one showing the new helmet?
Looks like somebody was thinking ahead.
 #30406  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:53 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Agree but under normal circumstances the NCAA pays for travel. You could still set the bracket up to minimize travel as much as possible. Like someone said I’m sure ESPN would televise and some sponsorship could be had. It could be done.
 #30408  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:15 am
SC reported it’s fewest cases in weeks on Monday and positive rate down to 15%.
Roundball, dornb liked this
 #30409  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:54 am
Flagman wrote:
The worst part in all of this is the waiting and the uncertainty. Why is the NCAA BOG waiting until Tuesday? Do they really expect things to change significantly? This could have been done weeks ago. Most schools have already gotten their teams back on campus.
The BOG did meet a few weeks and delayed the decision, I believe.

That course is consistent with what I have found to be a truism of this pandemic - no one wants to make the hard decisions. Everyone wants to delay or defer decisions in hopes that things become more optimistic. It's essentially diffusion of responsibility.

The BOG will vote and, you can be assured, they will do what virtually every other institution has done across the country - they will only stick their neck out as far as they need to and defer the tough calls to the local level.
 #30411  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:59 am
Rugters shuts team down for two weeks:

This is the second Big 10 team currently in a two week quarantine.
 #30415  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:55 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:21 am
From a newspaper that covers the SoCon, another piece this morning. Encouraging. Sounds like there will be SoCon football played this year. “SoCon could delay start of football season, commissioner says.” https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/s ... 51020.html
The article essentially restates what we already know - everything is up in the air at the moment.

The possible options here are pretty dizzying, but here are a few thoughts:

- I would think that the Big South may call off their season. At least two Big South squads - Monmouth and newly added Hampton have already canceled their season. Could Furman pick up any stragglers that wants to play besides Charleston Southern?

- I'd be surprised to see PC take the field this year. They are an FCS independent and over half their schedule has already canceled their seasons.

- Perhaps ideally we could see Furman and Wofford move their game back to November 7. That's the day Furman is scheduled to play PC and Wofford to play Gardner Webb (for what has to be the 20th season in a row).

- Tennessee Tech, a frequent SoCon opponent, has the same off week we do (Oct. 31). So does UNC Charlotte. Of course, Charlotte and Furman both lost their game to UT.

- Some of the CAA teams still trying to play (reportedly at least Elon and James Madison) may have availability.
 #30416  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:10 am
Roundball wrote:
From a newspaper that covers the SoCon, another piece this morning. Encouraging. Sounds like there will be SoCon football played this year. “SoCon could delay start of football season, commissioner says.” https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/s ... 51020.html
Looks like I can only read this important, exclusive, info if I subscribe @ $3.36 / week (says it in a big red banner), which, via FUBeAR ciphering, is ‘only’ $174.72 / year or ‘only’ $14.56 / mo. Thought you said it was ‘only’ $12.95 / mo? I’ve ‘only’ known about this subscription-based info to which you keep linking for about 15 minutes, and I’m already getting screwed out of $1.61 / mo or $19.32 / year.

Nice giant pic of the bellhops dominating the page when I click the link. I learned at the link posted that I can purchase a 16 x 20 mounted canvas print of that photo for ‘only’ $88.50. May do that. If I ever get a cat, its litter box will need a liner.
 #30419  by Roundball
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Looks like I can only read this important, exclusive, info if I subscribe @ $3.36 / week (says it in a big red banner), which, via FUBeAR ciphering, is ‘only’ $174.72 / year or ‘only’ $14.56 / mo. Thought you said it was ‘only’ $12.95 / mo? I’ve ‘only’ known about this subscription-based info to which you keep linking for about 15 minutes, and I’m already getting screwed out of $1.61 / mo or $19.32 / year.

Nice giant pic of the bellhops dominating the page when I click the link. I learned at the link posted that I can purchase a 16 x 20 mounted canvas print of that photo for ‘only’ $88.50. May do that. If I ever get a cat, its litter box will need a liner.
Give me your address. I'll send you a $20.00 bill for the difference. Seriously, I've been a subscriber for several years. I guess I am still locked in at $12.95 a month. It's worth that, plus the extra $1.61 a month if you love reading about South Carolina news.

As for the comments from the commissioner, he says one of the options is a conference only schedule, which "has a lot of merit." He also likes the idea of delaying the start of the season. He knows time is running out for a decision. He said that today's decision of the Board of Governors will make it clear with option to go. The AD's and the Presidents are meeting today, although they have been in constant contact with each other.
Last edited by Roundball on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
FUBeAR liked this
 #30421  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:54 am
Flagman wrote:
The BOG did meet a few weeks and delayed the decision, I believe.

That course is consistent with what I have found to be a truism of this pandemic - no one wants to make the hard decisions. Everyone wants to delay or defer decisions in hopes that things become more optimistic. It's essentially diffusion of responsibility.

The BOG will vote and, you can be assured, they will do what virtually every other institution has done across the country - they will only stick their neck out as far as they need to and defer the tough calls to the local level.
You are exactly right. Nobody wants to make a decision. I hope they decide to kick the can one more time all the way to October. Why make a decision about cancelling playoffs so many months in advance? But if they won’t put it off that long they need to go ahead and decide. Then the conferences can decide if they’re gonna play, and everybody can redo their schedules. It seems like anybody who wants to play should be able to, but it will be a chore to develop the new schedules- very doable but a pain. Teams might play weird and interesting schedules and many will do ok in attendance because they never expect to get 50% capacity anyway.

If there is a cancel/play vote now it will be to cancel based on headlines rather than data.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the vote is very red state vs blue state.

About poor PC, they need to tear off the bandaid and go back to DII where they had an ugly, hate filled Thanksgiving rivalry and were sort of relevant.
 #30423  by Roundball
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:53 am
It's from the Twitter world, so I post it as a FWIW item. This guy is the FCS National Coordinator for HERO Sports.
FUBeAR liked this
 #30424  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:34 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Roundball wrote:

Give me your address. I'll send you a $20.00 bill for the difference. Seriously, I've been a subscriber for several years. I guess I am still locked in at $12.95 a month. It's worth that, plus the extra $1.61 a month if you love reading about South Carolina news.

As for the comments from the commissioner, he says one of the options is a conference only schedule, which "has a lot of merit." He also likes the idea of delaying the start of the season. He knows time is running out for a decision. He said that today's decision of the Board of Governors will make it clear with option to go. The AD's and the Presidents are meeting today, although they have been in constant contact with each other.
My address is FFPA c/o Furman Football Office. Please send that Jackson there.

...and thanks for getting my point.

I like the P&C. Jeff Hartsell does a great job for the bellhops (his ALMA mater) & by extension the SoCon. Don’t live in SC & have 0 interest in being routed from here to pay-walled articles / sites to (not) find out the gist of things affecting FU Football. If I want to partake of their poignant prose, I’ll pay. Certainly, no expectation to violate their copyrights via reposting entire articles or even substantial chunks. Just the gist to generally inform fellow UFFP’ers of anything important, maybe a short blurb, and a link.

You still might want to subscribe to the “FOuR (with) FUBeAR” mini-podcast though. Content will be unmasked when you do & it will be SICK!
Roundball liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:21 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:45 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.