• The 2020 Season

#28292  by Rokawaylifer
 Sun May 24, 2020 11:32 pm
Thanks bear. You’re a prince. Just lookIng for the Sanity claws. Dave. quote=FUBeAR post_id=28177 time=1590063389 user_id=49]
aqualung wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:06 am
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:25 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 pm
This reporter, Mr. Hartsell, despite being a bellhop mouthpiece, usually knows what he’s talking about...

Bear, do you know why the June 2019 valuation was quoted? Perhaps last reported financials? I’m not following the arithmetic or maybe it’s the timing of the financial reporting. Also, since I would assume most of this reporting is done on a quarterly basis I’m assuming whatever losses Are reported are based on March 31, 2020, valuations. Hence, my confusion about the mention of June 2019. I do believe the s and p 500 hit a 52 week low of 2234 on March 26, 2020. It is now as of this writing, close to 3000. While I understand the endowment is not totally invested in equities, I assume they make up a sizable percentage of it. I still just don’t understand the reference In the news release to endowment losses as a cause for cutting funding for sports. I understand the rest of the explanations, but am struggling with that one.
I agree. This whole situation is inexplicable. Yes the timing matters. But if you assume the endowment paper loss of $100M that was quoted was near the bottom, then it would now be down only approx. $35M. But regardless of that, we just ended a historic 11 year bull run. We all understand that most of the endowed funds are restricted for specific uses, however I believe that as part of the charter a certain percentage can be used for general purposes such as OPEX and to fund reserves. Where the hell are the reserves? We should be well positioned liquidity wise after the substantial gains of the past 11 fricking years!! This looks like we were living paycheck to paycheck and the car transmission just broke so we're selling some plasma. Or, Warren Buffet retires, then his portfolio takes a $10B hit, so he decides he has to go back to work. This is either mismanagement or, as others have stated, this was already in the works as a larger movement away from athletics. Either case is very troubling. I say FU on this entire situation!
The POINT of posting that Tweet was that Mr. Hartsell, who usually knows his stuff, says he’s hearing other SoCon cuts are coming. The endowment Tweet ‘tagged along’ cuz Hartsell’s Tweet was a reply to it.

So, no, I don’t know nuthin’ ‘bout it. I know O-Line & Recruiting (bidness recruiting, not Football) & not much else.

I did notice that aqualung used the word “only” just before he mentioned “$35M.” Boy’s come a long way in his financial perspectives.
[/quote]
 #28339  by FurmAlum
 Tue May 26, 2020 7:12 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:59 pm
“Notre Dame president sees 'no way currently' Irish can fill football stadium without physical distancing.” https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... istancing/
I would think we could get 5-7K in Paladin Stadium if we used both home and visitor stands and maintain social distancing??? What do y'all think?

We prob would be lucky to get 5-7K. :D
paladinfan12 liked this
 #28377  by Affirm
 Thu May 28, 2020 11:42 am
Wofford AD has talked this week about how well-suited their FB stadium is for social distancing.
 #28422  by Affirm
 Fri May 29, 2020 5:30 pm
Today Greenville County has tied Richland County for leading the state in number of positive Covid-19 cases.
Not good news for the desire to have a normal football season.
Then again, it appears the Gamecocks are planning to plow ahead. So I guess Furman (and Wofford, Citadel, etc.) might do likewise.
 #28440  by Flagman
 Sat May 30, 2020 6:46 am
affirm wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:42 am
Wofford AD has talked this week about how well-suited their FB stadium is for social distancing.
He referred to using the hill. He could do it well until Furman comes to town. Fortunately, he doesn’t have to worry about that this year.
 #28441  by Roundball
 Sat May 30, 2020 7:13 am
I'm hearing that the topic of social distancing was on the agenda at the SoCon meetings. Two hours was allocated for discussion. After aerial photos of the stadiums during games were reviewed, the discussion was over in 5 mintues. It was decided fans had been practicing social distancing for several years. No more guidance is required.
Last edited by Roundball on Sat May 30, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
paladinfan12 liked this
 #28442  by The Jackal
 Sat May 30, 2020 7:38 am
affirm wrote:
Today Greenville County has tied Richland County for leading the state in number of positive Covid-19 cases.
Then again, it appears the Gamecocks are planning to plow ahead. So I guess Furman (and Wofford, Citadel, etc.) might do likewise.
I mean, those are also the two most populated counties in the state. It would surprise me if they didn't have the highest numbers of cases.
 #28450  by apaladin
 Sat May 30, 2020 8:46 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:38 am
affirm wrote:
I mean, those are also the two most populated counties in the state. It would surprise me if they didn't have the highest numbers of cases.
Correct, according to google there are over 100k more people in Greenville County than Richland County so going by that its more of a problem in Richland than Greenville if they have app. the same amount of cases.:
Greenville app. 524,000
Richland app. 414,000

Recent Topics

User avatar What just happened?

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:36 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.