• Tennessee Tech - Sept. 11

#43149  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:06 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:41 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:31 pm
No problem but I don’t really care if a team is a liberal arts college or not, as long as it is a quality opponent, what difference does it make? It’s a 3 and a half hour football game and that’s all.
Well, what do you know, we agree on something! Quite frankly, the idea of playing those northeast elite schools does not interest me at all. A game against Holy Cross or Bucknell will not draw any fan excitement. And no, I am not interested in playing Colgate. There are plenty of other good FCS teams within a 4 or 5 hour drive that we can play.
There are very few FCS-playing "National Liberal Arts Colleges". I am not aware that there are any others besides Furman, Wofford, VMI, Presbyterian, Davidson, Richmond, Lafayette, Colgate, and Holy Cross. That is a total of 9 schools. The latter 5 schools are the FCS-playing National Liberal Arts Colleges that rank OVERALL higher than we do. We rank #46, but those 5 schools actually rank significantly higher than we do. We should be interested in playing those schools because they are schools that are like. And, I am not saying play them all the time, which I realize is impossible anyone, but I am saying try to play them 5% of the time over a 20-year period.

Saying "Quite frankly, the idea of playing those northeast elite schools does not interest me at all. ... There are plenty of other good FCS teams ... that we can play,"
… is like Tulane or Boston College or Wake Forest or Notre Dame or Southern Cal
saying "The idea of playing elite schools does not interest me at all.
We should never seek games against the likes of Stanford or Duke or Northwestern or Vanderbilt or Rice. TOO elite, for us. And not really even good enough for us to play in football.”
“We have plenty of good other good teams to play besides Stanford or Duke or Northwestern or Vanderbilt or Rice."

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.