• Feb. 27 - VMI

#37623  by Affirm
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:47 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:54 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:22 pm
The only consolation I can think of is that Wofford lost today. I don’t believe our final destiny was decided today.

After the Austin-Peay game and this one today I am not certain we are a top 10 team and maybe not even a top 20 team.
this. Quit telling me we are top 10 and arguing that the ranking of 15th was not enough. LOL. When I saw that number 10 I was thinking hmm. Maybe 25?
We might be better off to stop thinking about such numbers!!!!!!!!
I do not think we’ll be in any playoffs this spring.
 #37672  by Paladin91
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:39 pm
Hard to believe we lost to VMI. Should not happen, ever! Inexcusable. Someone needs to take the blame.
 #37678  by The Jackal
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:53 pm
We lose a 1 point game on the road and the "I told you we weren't any good and these coaches are hacks" crowd just falls over themselves on this forum. It really is incredible.

Currently, 10 teams in the top 25 will have lost today, including North Dakota State. We didn't look good today. A lot of the football teams nationally didn't look good today either.

I'm not going to sit in judgment of a program or its coaches that haven't played competitive football in a year. I don't see this as some big indictment of the program. Learn from it and get back after it tomorrow.
PalaDad, Roundball, FurmAlum and 1 others liked this
 #37691  by Paladin91
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:12 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:58 pm
This fan base, many of which remember the days where the question was not whether we were going to beat VMI and Wofford but by how much, is just tired of settling for less.
Well said. I'd say the newer generation of fans are just fine with the participation award. Try better next time.
apaladin, fupaladin01 liked this
 #37692  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:16 pm
Most of the teams didnt lose to VMI which hasnt sniffed a winning season in years and years and a team they had beaten 27 out of 28 times.
 #37701  by fu77fan
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:39 pm
I do not know enough about football to know whose mistake it was when the snap hit DeLuca on the fumble play.

The center , QB or wide receiver ?
Or you can’t determine whose mistake it was.

Regardless, too bad , tough luck. We had had a nice drive .
 #37703  by jesse174
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:53 pm
The center had at least 2 snap penalties when he didn't snap the ball at all...I would guess it was the centers fault...
apaladin liked this
 #37704  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:03 pm
jesse174 wrote:
The center had at least 2 snap penalties when he didn't snap the ball at all...I would guess it was the centers fault...
What was up with that fake snap at the 10 yd line late in the game?
 #37706  by Furmanoid
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:12 pm
jesse174 wrote:
It was absolutely the OC’s fault. You have a center and a quarterback who have been beyond shaky all day, and on the biggest play of the game you call something requiring really good timing and execution from those guys. Why?!!! Granted it’s a play most High Schools can pull off, but it was clear that the center was just hanging on at that point. Why not do something easy? My main impression from this game is that we have a delusional OC who can’t accept the limitations of the guys he has to work with.
apaladin liked this
 #37707  by The Jackal
 Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:22 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
This fan base, many of which remember the days where the question was not whether we were going to beat VMI and Wofford but by how much, is just tired of settling for less.
Well said. I'd say the newer generation of fans are just fine with the participation award. Try better next time.

This is a joke of an argument.

Good Furman teams have dud games. The 1985 team lost to a D2 school. The vaunted 2004 team managed 10 points on the road against a terrible Elon team. The 2005 team, arguably one of the great teams all time, absolutely stunk in a week 2 game against Western Carolina on the road.

This isn't about being complacent. This is about the fact that team had a bad day today.

Be upset. Criticize the game plan. That's fine. But this chicken little stuff is just ridiculous.
FUBeAR, PalaDad, MNORM and 2 others liked this
 #37709  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:12 am
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:

Good Furman teams have dud games. The 1985 team lost to a D2 school. The vaunted 2004 team managed 10 points on the road against a terrible Elon team. The 2005 team, arguably one of the great teams all time, absolutely stunk in a week 2 game against Western Carolina on the road.

This isn't about being complacent. This is about the fact that team had a bad day today.

Be upset. Criticize the game plan. That's fine. But this chicken little stuff is just ridiculous.
All well and good but this team was supposed to be “older, faster, bigger and stronger”. Forgive us for expecting more and being upset about one of Furman’s all-time stinkers of a game on the offensive side.
 #37719  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:

You mentioned three games spanning twenty years. No comparison to recent history where our “bad days” are commonplace. How many "bad days" do we have to continue to have to see a concerning trend?

And the Newberry game is apples to oranges. You all neglect to mention that we sat our starting QB in that game due to injury and we lost on a fluke 57 yard field goal. True, they are D2 and it shouldn't have come down to that, but no excuses yesterday - we were at full strength, got whipped up front, and beat ourselves with mistakes. Not to mention it was a SoCon game in a year that we have to win the conference to reach the postseason.
apaladin, fupaladin01 liked this
 #37731  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:36 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:

You mentioned three games spanning twenty years. No comparison to recent history where our “bad days” are commonplace. How many "bad days" do we have to continue to have to see a concerning trend?

And the Newberry game is apples to oranges. You all neglect to mention that we sat our starting QB in that game due to injury and we lost on a fluke 57 yard field goal. True, they are D2 and it shouldn't have come down to that, but no excuses yesterday - we were at full strength, got whipped up front, and beat ourselves with mistakes. Not to mention it was a SoCon game in a year that we have to win the conference to reach the postseason.
How is that apples to oranges? A good Furman team got beat by a D2 school. I don't care if President Johns was playing QB. Also, 57 yard field goals aren't flukes. They are big kicks. It sure isn't an excuse to be down a player (recall, our 2001 team won on the road in Statesboro without Louis Ivory).

Our '05 team was bigger, faster, stronger than Western Carolina and looked like absolute garbage in Cullowhee that night. No excuses. They were outplayed and out coached that night.

Just don't blame some "new generation" complacent thinking. The defensive staff, as it were, are a bunch of young guys and our defense is whipping everyone's fannies right now. The offensive staff is a lot of former Furman players from glory years. They are the ones getting beat - not the defense.
 #37736  by Paladin91
 Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:36 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:

How is that apples to oranges? A good Furman team got beat by a D2 school. I don't care if President Johns was playing QB. Also, 57 yard field goals aren't flukes. They are big kicks. It sure isn't an excuse to be down a player (recall, our 2001 team won on the road in Statesboro without Louis Ivory).

Our '05 team was bigger, faster, stronger than Western Carolina and looked like absolute garbage in Cullowhee that night. No excuses. They were outplayed and out coached that night.

Just don't blame some "new generation" complacent thinking. The defensive staff, as it were, are a bunch of young guys and our defense is whipping everyone's fannies right now. The offensive staff is a lot of former Furman players from glory years. They are the ones getting beat - not the defense.
Let's face it, the team got man handled in the last play-off run against Austin Peay...just embarrassed. Should have never even been in the play offs. Our QB is not very good, our receivers are not very good. When your best performer at WR is a walk-on, that says it all. Forget the thought of playoffs. We have a good stable of backs and thats about it.

Pull off the purple shades for a while and catch a glimpse of reality.
apaladin, bj93 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.