• The 2020 Season

#28046  by Roundball
 Tue May 19, 2020 11:31 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 am
Roundball, we will have to disagree on the recruiting. The perception now is that Furman athletics is in financial stress. What sport will be next? Do I want to sign with a school that does not support their teams. Will the sport I play be the one cut next? Besides losing baseball I was under the impression that Furman was behind and dedicated to athletics. That was apparently delusional and is no longer the case. That hurts. I tell you right now I have been worrying a lot about the upcoming football season and really looking forward to and hoping football plays. Right now I’m not nearly as fired up about it after yesterday. Like I said I know I take this stuff way too seriously and it’s hard to change now but right now I am really down and disappointed with Furman. I don’t think I am alone.
Wake up and read what is happening. You act like this is only a Furman University problem. All colleges and universties are under huge financial stress. That is why it is so important for these colleges to have on campus classes this fall. If not, many will go under.
 #28047  by apaladin
 Tue May 19, 2020 11:51 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball, we will have to disagree on the recruiting. The perception now is that Furman athletics is in financial stress. What sport will be next? Do I want to sign with a school that does not support their teams. Will the sport I play be the one cut next? Besides losing baseball I was under the impression that Furman was behind and dedicated to athletics. That was apparently delusional and is no longer the case. That hurts. I tell you right now I have been worrying a lot about the upcoming football season and really looking forward to and hoping football plays. Right now I’m not nearly as fired up about it after yesterday. Like I said I know I take this stuff way too seriously and it’s hard to change now but right now I am really down and disappointed with Furman. I don’t think I am alone.
Wake up and read what is happening. You act like this is only a Furman University problem. All colleges and universties are under huge financial stress. That is why it is so important for these colleges to have on campus classes this fall. If not, many will go under.
Of course so how many have cut their baseball program?
 #28050  by fufanatic
 Tue May 19, 2020 12:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:51 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Of course so how many have cut their baseball program?
Let's revisit this question in July. I suspect we will see a lot more universities making tough decisions over the coming weeks and months. Let's also remember Furman still offers 18 sports, which is a decent amount and more than many universities. I think the minimum to be D1 is 14. I'm just thankful that football is still part of the long term plans. I don't know if I could have set foot on campus again if football had been dropped or taken down to non-scholarship like PC.
 #28052  by The Jackal
 Tue May 19, 2020 12:07 pm
Bowling Green to this point, but it's still May.

That's the point, though, isn't it? Maybe only one D1 baseball program has been cut in the last 5 years (Buffalo), and now two in one week.

Any low revenue men's sports are likely on the chopping block at many universities. Furman isn't alone in this.
 #28055  by gofurman
 Tue May 19, 2020 12:29 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:28 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:50 pm
Jason Donnelly said this in his statement "While we were in the final stages of deciding on a path forward, the COVID-19 pandemic struck, and the necessity for more immediate action was clear, as revenues for both the university as a whole as well as for the athletics department have already – and will continue to – decline significantly. The university retained national consultants, including athletics finance experts, to advise us on how best to move forward. In the end, the decision was made to no longer sponsor Baseball and Men's Lacrosse, and to reduce the number of athletics scholarships offered from 200 to 155 over a five-year period, which will save the University up to $5 million annually in future years but continue to allow our remaining 18 athletic programs to be competitive. The Board of Trustees, President Davis and I all support this decision."

Can someone smarter than me read into the numbers/tea leaves and help me understand is that meaning the reduction of 45 scholarships INCLUDES baseball and LAX? or will we be cutting 45 more scholarships? thanks in advance
" reduce the number of athletics scholarships offered from 200 to 155 over a five-year period"

This makes me think that the 45 is inclusive of baseball and lax. At least I'm hoping so. Sounds like between the two sports there were about 22ish scholarships offered. That gets you halfway there.
Per AD comments sounds like we may be right. big big difference in 45 more scholarships or 45 total reduction
 #28057  by gofurman
 Tue May 19, 2020 12:32 pm
Comments by APaladin about hurting recruiting. He is right .. to an extent. Other schools - if they don't make similar cuts - will mention that Furman doesn't support athletics or you may lose your scholarship etc. It's not true .. but "Perception is reality". Others will use this against us. I would if I was recruiting at X school and Y school just dropped baseball. I would make sure the guy who is on the fence between the schools knew this. And as a recruit that might influence me. Long-term it's probably not the biggest thing if we show football and bball are stable for the next few years. but this next year it could hurt.

18 year-old kids aren't very logical sometimes
apaladin, Paladin91 liked this
 #28069  by DeepPurple
 Tue May 19, 2020 1:59 pm
I would think in the near future we will be hearing about tough choices being made from other schools. These are hard times.
MNORM liked this
 #28071  by gofurman
 Tue May 19, 2020 2:22 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
I would think in the near future we will be hearing about tough choices being made from other schools. These are hard times.
You are right. We already are: Bowling Green baseball .. and this- Akron announced Thursday that it will eliminate men's cross country, men's golf and women's tennis at the end of the current academic year as a cost-cutting move in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... tting-move

found another: "Cincinnati cut men's soccer recently,"

And this (so ECU is considering doing likewise) "ECU has been losing millions in recent years, something the report referred to as “not sustainable” long-term. The potential reduction of sports is one of 10 recommendations given to the athletic department by the committee, which was comprised of a few high-ranking athletic department employees, ECU financial experts, and more related personnel.

Cincinnati cut men's soccer recently, while Furman and Bowling Green recently slashed their baseball programs."
 #28093  by Flagman
 Tue May 19, 2020 5:51 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
I'm interested in hearing about other SoCon schools. Are they considering similar actions?
 #28097  by apaladin
 Tue May 19, 2020 8:56 pm
Flagman wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:51 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
I'm interested in hearing about other SoCon schools. Are they considering similar actions?
Wofford said they have no plans to cut any sports. Doubt any other SoCon schools will. This black eye will only be on Furman.
 #28100  by FUBeAR
 Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 pm
This reporter, Mr. Hartsell, despite being a bellhop mouthpiece, usually knows what he’s talking about...

#28101  by apaladin
 Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 pm
Most of the endowment money “loss” will come back. Prolly some of it already has.
 #28111  by gofurman
 Wed May 20, 2020 9:30 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 pm
Most of the endowment money “loss” will come back. Prolly some of it already has.
Yeah, that's an odd one. I understand the other concerns like increased IT infrastructure cost and less room and board $... but the endowment money is already back from 30% down to 10% down if it tracks SP500. Should be about where it was a year ago now.
Rokawaylifer liked this
 #28119  by The Jackal
 Wed May 20, 2020 11:20 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:22 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
You are right. We already are: Bowling Green baseball .. and this- Akron announced Thursday that it will eliminate men's cross country, men's golf and women's tennis at the end of the current academic year as a cost-cutting move in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... tting-move

found another: "Cincinnati cut men's soccer recently,"

And this (so ECU is considering doing likewise) "ECU has been losing millions in recent years, something the report referred to as “not sustainable” long-term. The potential reduction of sports is one of 10 recommendations given to the athletic department by the committee, which was comprised of a few high-ranking athletic department employees, ECU financial experts, and more related personnel.

Cincinnati cut men's soccer recently, while Furman and Bowling Green recently slashed their baseball programs."
Akron had already eliminated baseball a few years ago, though they apparently were going to reinstate it starting this season. Not sure where that leaves them.

Akron's soccer program is much like Furman's - top 25 type program that has produced national team talent. That's not like a throw away sport at their university.

Didn't know that Akron's head baseball coach was Chris Sabo - the man who made sports specs en vogue in baseball.