• Kennesaw State - Sept. 16

#75862  by FurmAlum
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:41 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:10 pm
Good for Huff, he should do that 100 times of 100, KSU had a bunch of shit talking morons on defense, put them back in their place ;)
"Shit talking morons" LOL :D Well said.

I bet Huff could have made The All-Madden Team. I haven't seen a QB that looks like he wants to hurt you when he runs in a long time.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #75866  by Purple rain
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:35 am
I loved being at the game, although the ATL traffic was beyond crazy. We beat a good football team loaded with talent. The "Pistol" offense is a different bird that we won't see much. I thought we played a physical football game and were more physical than the Owls. Those kind of wins build character. I think we got better Saturday night.
I am beyond thankful we have #6 on our team and Coach Spangler. PC did us one huge favor. As Will Ferrell said "What an idiot!" How do you let those guys leave your program.
Go Dins!
gman84, QCGlue, dornb liked this
 #75870  by gman84
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:00 am
When an opponent is "shit talking" you let your actions do the talking. I believe Mr. Huff did just that. That is not something that I have seen him do before. I'm fine with it.
dornb liked this
 #75872  by HB88
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:31 am
Purple rain wrote:
I loved being at the game, although the ATL traffic was beyond crazy. We beat a good football team loaded with talent. The "Pistol" offense is a different bird that we won't see much. I thought we played a physical football game and were more physical than the Owls. Those kind of wins build character. I think we got better Saturday night.
I am beyond thankful we have #6 on our team and Coach Spangler. PC did us one huge favor. As Will Ferrell said "What an idiot!" How do you let those guys leave your program.
Go Dins!
I know much was made of the campy aesthetics of the stadium beforehand, but was curious to hear impressions from someone who was there. As a spectator what did you make of the stadium and how it was to watch a game? I will say on TV (with the exception of virtually no replay angles when needed), it was nice to have a closer view of the action than other telecasts at, for example, Paladin Stadium. Welcome your comments, or any other attendees.
 #75873  by HB88
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:34 am
Speaking of the lack of replay, did anyone see if the KSU player actually bobbled the touchdown that led FU players to ask refs for replay review?
 #75874  by Roundball
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:52 am
Purple rain wrote:
Go Dins!
Technically, PC did not let Huff leave the program. Huff left after graduating from PC. He then transferred to Furman to get his graduate degree.
 #75875  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:32 am
HB88 wrote:
Speaking of the lack of replay, did anyone see if the KSU player actually bobbled the touchdown that led FU players to ask refs for replay review?

Should have been reviewed (as FUBeAR was SCREAMING LIVE & IN REAL TIME), but upon reviewing the Tweet/X of the play, it appears to FUBeAR (contrary to Jackal’s assessment…of course) that the KSU player got his hands on the ball, brought it into his body, in the end zone, and it was then dislodged just as his 2nd step, after he got his hands on the ball, was hitting the ground. Seems that would be a catch. The Official who had the best view (Field Judge) was slow to signal a TD…perhaps waiting to see if the Back Judge had seen something different (he wouldn’t have - his view of the ball was blocked thru the entire catch/dislodge process). Think they got it right, but do not understand why they were unwilling to review. They spotted the ball for the XP posthaste.

On a similar, but different note…can any Secondary experts out there tell FUBeAR what coverage we were in there? Looks like Quarters with Spur Free or Spur Under (something like that?), but the CB on the D’s right side seemed to (maybe) be in Man as he went inside with the WR he was over at the snap. Not looking to ‘call anyone out’ - just tryna understand more about modern coverages with 5 and 6 DB’s in the game.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #75898  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:53 am
Furman Sports Report wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:56 am
If that's a touchdown, then the rule must've changed this year. Otherwise, Incarnate Word should've played in the national championship last year instead of North Dakota State.
Well…yeah…they shoulda been because of that BS no-fumble call. Was there also a ‘catch’ issue in that game? Don’t remember that, but would like to see it / add it to the FUBeAR cache of evidence. Got a link?

But…let’s take a closer look at this one…and why it WAS a catch…gonna take a coupla posts because of the links/post limits…

Ball caught, brought tightly into body; left foot down
Turning away from approaching defender (“Football move”); right foot coming down
Still moving away from defender; right foot down, left foot coming up; no contact with ball by defender yet
2 more pics to come in next post…
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #75899  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:01 pm
Left foot back down (2nd step); ball still in possession; defender has made contact with ball; estimate 2-3 yards deeper in Endzone from point of initial ‘catch’
Ball coming loose now…AFTER “Football Move” & 2 steps, and advancing 3-4 yards in Endzone

The NCAA rulebook details a number of requirements for something to be considered a catch, but these are the three main pieces. For a catch, the player:

1. Secures firm control with the hand(s) or arm(s) of a live ball in flight before the ball touches the ground, and
2. Touches the ground in bounds with any part of his body, and then
3. Maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game

All 3 components were satisfied. Shoulda been reviewed though.
 #75908  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:02 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:32 am
HB88 wrote:

Should have been reviewed (as FUBeAR was SCREAMING LIVE & IN REAL TIME), but upon reviewing the Tweet/X of the play, it appears to FUBeAR (contrary to Jackal’s assessment…of course) that the KSU player got his hands on the ball, brought it into his body, in the end zone, and it was then dislodged just as his 2nd step, after he got his hands on the ball, was hitting the ground. Seems that would be a catch. The Official who had the best view (Field Judge) was slow to signal a TD…perhaps waiting to see if the Back Judge had seen something different (he wouldn’t have - his view of the ball was blocked thru the entire catch/dislodge process). Think they got it right, but do not understand why they were unwilling to review. They spotted the ball for the XP posthaste.

On a similar, but different note…can any Secondary experts out there tell FUBeAR what coverage we were in there? Looks like Quarters with Spur Free or Spur Under (something like that?), but the CB on the D’s right side seemed to (maybe) be in Man as he went inside with the WR he was over at the snap. Not looking to ‘call anyone out’ - just tryna understand more about modern coverages with 5 and 6 DB’s in the game.

It's really hard to tell.

It feels like I see cover 1 man at the bottom of the screen, but no one seems to drop into the deep third.

It feels like Blackshear should have been in man coverage on the crosser and Ryan should have picked up the TE running to the corner. Especially after the TE and WR switch places presnap.

I can't see a good reason why Ryan and Blackshear end up a few feet from each other covering the TE.

Chizik gets hung out to dry a bit against Benyard. He has to make a call on whether to come up and attack the underneath throw. He does, and Beynard, to his credit, makes a slight adjustment and gets in behind him.
 #75909  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:06 pm
When you watch a lot of our breakdowns on pass defense, they usually take two forms: crossing/mesh routes where the offense creates a lot of traffic in the middle of the field and wheel routes to guys out of the backfield.

On Benyards long TD reception (not sure why the actual X post isn't working for me anymore), KSU basically just creates a conflict for the DB by crossing the receivers in the middle of the field. The CB goes around the traffic and by that point he's done.

Honestly, it seems sometimes we play too far off the receivers in man coverage. If we aren't going to switch crossers, then I would think we need to reroute them at the line of scrimmage and get in their face.

https://x.com/kennesawstfb/status/17031 ... 71761?s=20
bj93 liked this
 #75913  by Furman Sports Report
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:53 am
Furman Sports Report wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:56 am
If that's a touchdown, then the rule must've changed this year. Otherwise, Incarnate Word should've played in the national championship last year instead of North Dakota State.
Well…yeah…they shoulda been because of that BS no-fumble call. Was there also a ‘catch’ issue in that game? Don’t remember that, but would like to see it / add it to the FUBeAR cache of evidence. Got a link?
Should be set up to start at the 11:46 mark. Initially ruled a touchdown. Overturned because receiver "didn't maintain possession" throughout the catch. Had both hands on it, took two steps in the end zone and starts to bobble the ball after he's already stepped out of bounds. Ball never touches the turf. Complete insanity this was overturned.

It was more of a catch than Kennesaw's in question.

https://youtu.be/k97_h_oeqUA?si=uGL1VtEF9Y4W76fh&t=706
 #75914  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:28 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:06 pm
When you watch a lot of our breakdowns on pass defense, they usually take two forms: crossing/mesh routes where the offense creates a lot of traffic in the middle of the field and wheel routes to guys out of the backfield.

On Benyards long TD reception (not sure why the actual X post isn't working for me anymore), KSU basically just creates a conflict for the DB by crossing the receivers in the middle of the field. The CB goes around the traffic and by that point he's done.

Honestly, it seems sometimes we play too far off the receivers in man coverage. If we aren't going to switch crossers, then I would think we need to reroute them at the line of scrimmage and get in their face.

https://x.com/kennesawstfb/status/17031 ... 71761?s=20
Jackal that’s a great X. Thanks. Yep I was watching and saw some crossing routes where we seemed to get caught in wash. Your video shows we were beat the minute the pick occurred. If you are going to be caught like this I agree with you that you must disturb something.

Sure get to the qb. But that’s a risk and easier said than done. Though we must improve on that if we hope to have a great team otherwise an accurate qb with some elusive quality will be tough to handle.

More to the point I fully agree you can’t let good WWR just release free off the LOS. That’s a bad recipe for us. All you have to do is jam a little even if just to push a guy towards the side a foot or two. That throws off timing and crossing routes aren’t where they are supposed to be

I mean I guess there’s 3 ways to stop the pass.
- Great coverage. I think ours is good but you can’t cover but do long. You can’t.

- Disturb the route. I’d like to see a little more jamming at the LOS too

- SACK or pressure the QB! This is a desperate area if needed improvement. I think we have 4 or 5 sacks in 3 games. That won’t cut it long term
Last edited by gofurman on Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.