• At ETSU

#56350  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:07 am
mathprofhiker wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:55 pm
That was a tough game. Very physical. On the road. We've got things we need to do better, but we forced turnovers and took advantage of them. Time will tell how big of a win this was. For now, I'm happy with it.
Good summary. though I would argue we didn’t always take a ton of advantage of the turnovers. At a time when we had THREE turnovers w only had 6 points.
 #56351  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:09 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:05 am
Ok. 27 points.
Lol. No worries. . Just commenting that I always hear POINTS POINTS POINTS. and then PaulC - GREAT GUY and a Friend!! - comes at me with YARDS. No worries. Just some ironies and stuff. :D :D :D

I’m the “yards”guy lol

All in fun. Truly a Great win!!!!!!!!!!!!. GREAT WIN

Side note. ETSU from number 8 in nation and preseason pick to win SoCon title Is almost out of playoff and SoCon running.
 #56365  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:04 am
youwouldno wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:02 am
Minus the long TD pass, ETSU averaged less than 4 yards per play. Their defense kept them in it. I was surprised by the lack of wrinkles in the run game. It was never abandoned but very limited from a play calling perspective. Maybe that's a strategy to keep things simple and promote tempo - Furman's turnover advantage was obviously crucial tonight, and those things may be connected.

Huff is too tough sometimes, goodness.

Riddell wasn't able to progress down from Huzzie and kept forcing it . . . Definitely a big difference at QB in this game, decisive for sure.

We did an excellent job most of the night of staying with their receivers when the play broke down. Even a number of their catches were closely contested throws in traffic.
 #56371  by Paul C
 Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:13 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:09 am
Just commenting that I always hear POINTS POINTS POINTS. and then PaulC - GREAT GUY and a Friend!! - comes at me with YARDS. No worries. Just some ironies and stuff. :D :D :D

I’m the “yards”guy lol

All in fun. Truly a Great win!!!!!!!!!!!!. GREAT WIN
I was just trying to speak your language.
gofurman liked this
 #56377  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:59 am
Great writeup.

The more games I watch, the more I tend to think that we under appreciate Hugh Ryan. He's played a lot of football for us, and just about every time something big happens on defense, he's right in the middle of it.
 #56378  by BucDoctor
 Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:52 am
Congrats on the win.

Don't read too much into the prowess of the Din defensive line from this game. ETSU couldn't run the ball against Mars Hill. The Din defensive unit is solid, but the ETSU offensive line is horrid.

Well maybe basketball season will be competitive.
 #56382  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:21 pm
BucDoctor wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:52 am
Congrats on the win.

Don't read too much into the prowess of the Din defensive line from this game. ETSU couldn't run the ball against Mars Hill. The Din defensive unit is solid, but the ETSU offensive line is horrid.

Well maybe basketball season will be competitive.
Good point BD, but FU did hold ET to 27 yds less than MH. #4 Clempson only had 147 yds rushing and most of that was on QB scrambles so there are reasons for optimism,
 #56394  by Flagman
 Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:24 pm
We didn’t put a lot of pressure on the Buc qb until the 4th quarter.
 #56402  by fupaladin01
 Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:51 pm
Buc-
Did ETSU lose a bunch of O-Linemen from last year? I mean, we hired the O-line coach away from you based on their great play last year and he's got our OL playing great... but your guys are still there and remember what he taught them the last 2-3 years, right?
 #56406  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:29 am
fupaladin01 wrote:
Buc-
Did ETSU lose a bunch of O-Linemen from last year? I mean, we hired the O-line coach away from you based on their great play last year and he's got our OL playing great... but your guys are still there and remember what he taught them the last 2-3 years, right?

ETSU lost a very good offensive linemen to the transfer portal, Tre'Mond Shorts. The offensive line coach is Dru Duke, who coached Furman OL the past few years. They also have Tavon Matthews, an All American and first team All SoCon player, on the offensive line. They have some talented players.

I think Saturday had a lot more to do with the depth and quality of Furman's defensive front.
 #56407  by AstroDin
 Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:36 am
Speaking of underappreciating Hugh Ryan — I agree with that statement. Hugh's backup is also playing well and getting more PT, Jack Rhodes.

I watched the replay yesterday and listened to the commentators—very fair and very positive about Furman. The color guy- who I've heard before is very familiar with Furman, even made a Huff/DeBush comparison. Early in the second half, he commented on Furman's depth compared to ETSUs, and the liberal rotations.

A few things appear to be happening that are contributing to Furman's confidence in rotating heavily on defense.

DE—Jackson is about what we expected as a starter, strong, active motor. The great news is the play of Jack Barton. Jack was recruited highly and moved around on the DL until this year. Jackson/Barton make a dynamic duo at DE.

NG—the DINS are legit three-deep at NG with Coleman, Stephens, and Seth Johson. I've been very impressed with the quickness of X Stephens. Stephens showed his athletic ability against Clemson, running sideline to sideline. Against the Bucs, his abilities shined. Xavier seemed to always be around the ball when he was in the game.

DT—Sochovka and Stainfield. I love both of these guys, and they play with fire. In the 4th against the Bucs, these two were getting penetration on every play.

Bandit—Manned by the youngest players, Clark (SO) and Maier (FR) seem interchangeable. Clark seems to be a bit more powerful and quick; Maier is very quick off the line and physically plays. Kudos to the staff for not just recruiting two talented players but two layers they really compliment each other.

Defensive Backfield—what a difference a year makes. The DINS really missed Chizik and Yates last year against the passing attacks in the SoCon.

Blackshear and Morris—as good as Blackshear is, you don't lose much at all with Morris in the game.
Robinson and Yates—another complimentary tandem. Will one of the freshmen corners start earning PT?

Spur—with Achina out, J Miller played a great game. Furman's, I can play any position. Cally Chizik played very well at Spur and returning punts.

Safeties—Ryan and Rhodes and Brinson and Wilkins- have played well so far this season. Furman is showing confidence in rotating these four consistently.
silentbob liked this
 #56409  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:30 am
Looking back, this was one of the few mental miscues on defense the entire night. ETSU collected close to 30% of their overall passing yardage on this one play.

It really just looks like we blew the coverage. Two guys covering the flat and no one dropping into the deep third to run with the receiver. Brinson was left to cover two thirds of the field and regardless of which way he ran, it was a likely touchdown. I'm sure that's something we'll get cleaned up.

As an aside, I think we are using the BAN a little differently than in years past. Previously, our BAN was almost always on the line and used heavily as a pass rusher. This season, the BAN tends to hover pre-snap and either shift up to the line, drop in coverage, or blitz from a more traditional linebacker position.

This play, Clark drops into coverage. Vaughn, perhaps with increased depth at ILB, seems more willing to bring pressure right up the middle than he has in past years. We're going to get beat every now and then doing that, especially in predictable passing situations, but that's clearly been a theme the first few games. On this play, he sends both linebackers and asks Ryan to cover the vacated zone.
 #56415  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:39 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:29 am
fupaladin01 wrote:
Buc-

ETSU lost a very good offensive linemen to the transfer portal, Tre'Mond Shorts. The offensive line coach is Dru Duke, who coached Furman OL the past few years. They also have Tavon Matthews, an All American and first team All SoCon player, on the offensive line. They have some talented players.

I think Saturday had a lot more to do with the depth and quality of Furman's defensive front.
Correct … this is the OL & TE that the Bucs trotted out to start against FU

62 Joe Schreiber OL 6-3 284 Sr. Chanhassen, Minn. (Iowa Western CC / No. Dak. State U)
2021: key man at center, starting all 13 games for the Bucs… Phil Steele Fourth Team All-SoCon …2020: started all 6 games at center for the Bucs

64 Braxton Shipp OL 6-3 288 RFr. Concord, N.C. (Northwest Cabarrus HS)
2021: Appeared in two games for the Bucs

66 Shaun Hastings OL 6-4 288 RSr. Camp Hill, Pa. (Saint Francis)
2021: Appeared in 10 of the 13 games for ETSU…2019: Played in 10 games with 9 starts for Saint Francis…2018: Appeared in eight games for Saint Francis.

71 Tavon Matthews OL 6-1 317 Jr. Woodbridge, Va. (Woodbridge HS)
2021: HERO Sports FCS Sophomore All-American Team … Coaches and Media Second Team All-SoCon…started 12 games for ETSU…Preseason All-SoCon Second Team…2020: started in all six games…2019: started in all 12 games as a true freshman

76 Blake Austin OL 6-4 276 RSo. Johnson City, Tenn. (Science Hill HS)
2021: started all 13 games on the offensive line for the Bucs …2020: Appeared in five games, starting the last three games of the year

40 Noah West TE 6-3 241 RSo. Louisa, Ky. (Lawrence County HS)
2021: Competed in all 13 games with two starts…2020: SoCon All-Freshman team … Saw action in all six games, garnering five starts

81 previous starts…about 14/player and only 1 “rookie” (bolded & italicized) in the group.
Roughly 4.5 of 6 returning starters from their SoCon Championship season.

Furman’s Defensive Front was not facing an inexperienced & untalented O-Line Saturday. They just whipped some veteran, decorated, championship-winning Players.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.