#47613  by Furmanoid
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:07 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:56 pm
Midway through the third quarter, it's 13-0 NDSU over ETSU.

NDSU is in no way dominating the Bucs. It's a competitive game and, frankly, like most ETSU games.

I watch this stuff and continue to believe Furman isn't that far away. We were every bit ETSU's equal and they are giving NDSU a fight in Fargo.
The game I’m watching isn’t competitive.
ETSU doesn't have the big playmaker QB, which they haven't all season.

It's certainly competitive. NDSU is the better team, but this isn't a blowout.
What constitutes a blowout?
 #47615  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:08 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:26 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:23 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:22 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:01 am
A question for FUBear or Jackal…
A few Bison fans are bringing up ETSU's lack of experience playing against A-Gap Football, West Coast Power Football.
I read a little and it reminded me of option football?
Nah - tight power scheme - RB hits hole between C & G w/lead back & b/s OG wrapping to lead…p/s OG is down blocking…C blocks back…p/s OT is outblocking (instead of downblocking) because it’s A-Gap power instead of ‘normal’ power….variations to all of this depending on the D

Here is a good article with videos https://www.cover1.net/north-dakota-st ... ariations/

My guess is NDSU fans think that ETSU can't defend their power run scheme and how amazing they are at everything.
I HOPE for the SoCon that ETSU stays close.. or wins. But my brain tells me that NDSU indeed IS AMAZING at most everything... that's why they crush so many teams so often. I think NDSU is freakin' amazing. They make what App State did look like childs play.

Alabama WISHES they could win titles at the rate of NDSU - Bama has what? 4 of the last 9 or something? Whie NDSU has 7 of the last 9 FCS titles... It is not even close
NDSU has had an amazing run.

I do think it is worth noting that most of NDSU's championships occurred after App State and Georgia Southern left the FCS. Roughly half of them came after Coastal did.

Just tossing this out there, but if you took away a few of the top teams competing for titles every season, the field would look pretty different.
Coastal was never a factor in the FCS playoffs. There playoff record is 4-6, never got past the quarterfinals and 2 of their 4 wins came against Bethune-Cookman. ETSU is further evidence you need a very good qb to be really good. Captain Obvious.
 #47616  by cavedweller2
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:58 pm
27-3 is more of a butt whoopin. Now 40-3 would be considered a blow out.
FUBeAR liked this
 #47617  by Furmanoid
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:03 pm
Gotcha. But would you say it was a competitive butt whoopin?
 #47618  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:05 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

NDSU is in no way dominating the Bucs. It's a competitive game and, frankly, like most ETSU games.

I watch this stuff and continue to believe Furman isn't that far away. We were every bit ETSU's equal and they are giving NDSU a fight in Fargo.
Agree, it wasn’t as close as the final score. ETSU had 155 total yards. Agree about FU. I would take FU and 30 right now against NDSU, :lol:
 #47619  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:11 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:05 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Agree, it wasn’t as close as the final score. ETSU had 155 total yards. Agree about FU. I would take FU and 30 right now against NDSU, :lol:
ETSU got whooped on the LOS. Plain and simple. The NDSU OL wore ETSU out and the NDSU DL ate up the holes for ETSU RBs. ETSU had what 170 yards?? Sad.

NDSU had this game when it started. LOS wins games
400 yards for NDSU. 165 - 165!?! - for ETSU. GAME OVER

I know sometimes we debate the importance of stats. Turnovers. 3rd down conversions are very important. But I read that if you outgoing your opponent by 150 or more yds you win about 80-90% of time. Outgain them by 200 you win 90% of time or more. Something like that. It’s just too much to overcome. Case in point is here with ETSU and NDSU. You will lose when it’s 400 to 165
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #47623  by cavedweller2
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:34 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:03 pm
Gotcha. But would you say it was a competitive butt whoopin?
Until NDSU blew them out.
 #47624  by FurmAlum
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:55 pm
I didn't think that was a very competitive game. The ETSU defense held their own, but the offense was totally dominated by NDSU.

If ETSU could have generated some O it would have been competitive.

J, how can a player who started playing in 2014 still be playing? Did he transfer twice? Do you know the details?
 #47626  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:20 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:58 pm
27-3 is more of a butt whoopin. Now 40-3 would be considered a blow out.
FUBeAR will reply to the only accurate post.

It was a solid butt-whoopin’ by a Team that has whooped 30 Playoff butts out of 31 Playoff butts they have faced…so to speak….in that venue.

ETSU’s QB - the guy who played like the mash-up of Tom Brady & Patrick Mahomes the whole game vs. Mercer & the last series vs. Furman - played like the the mash-up of Marsha Brady & Patrick the Starfish the entire game against NDSU. He was pressured some because ETSU’s OLine is not great & NDSU’s D-Front is very good and, more impactfully, very deep, but most of his ineffectiveness was self-created poor play, poor pocket awareness, poor scrambling & awful throws.

Pretty sure, also, that Quay Holmes is ‘tweaked’ someway, somewhere. They ran 1 stretch play vs. KSU for a good gain, 0 vs. NDSU & 0 Toss sweeps vs. either. They’ve run those plays 10-20x/game all season. Also…when they got a 2 score lead against KSU last week (on Holmes back), they sidelined him from touching the ball for the next 15 minutes of the 2nd half. Something is not right there.

ETSU’s D stood up to NDSU very well considering they were getting no help from their O…and the Bucs probably won the Special Teams match-up.

The top 5 Teams in the SoCon can compete very favorably with the Top 5 Teams in the MVFC & would whip most, if not all of the Big Sky Teams, but with the scheduling situation (too complicated to ‘splain), entrenched circular schedule strength logic, etc…not sure we’ll ever get to validate that.

Doesn’t matter anyway…FCS is now NeoJUCO and who knows how that will play out in the future.
DeepPurple liked this
 #47627  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:22 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:55 pm
I didn't think that was a very competitive game. The ETSU defense held their own, but the offense was totally dominated by NDSU.

If ETSU could have generated some O it would have been competitive.

J, how can a player who started playing in 2014 still be playing? Did he transfer twice? Do you know the details?
1 redshirt, 2 medical hardships, 1 Covid year, 4 ‘normal’ eligibility years = 8
 #47628  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:18 pm
For the record, when I posted the game was competitive it was 13-0 in the third quarter.

ETSU couldn’t move the ball on offense. Their defense held on as best they could.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #47631  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:41 pm
Have to pull for NDSU next week against JMU. Don’t want a move up to win. Pulling for Montana St. against #1 seed Sam Houston tonight, another move up. Currently MSU up 28-0 in second, :D
 #47670  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:44 pm
Quay Holmes announces intent to enter NFL Draft.

I suppose it helps Furman that the best player on the best team isn't returning.

#47675  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:14 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:44 pm
Quay Holmes announces intent to enter NFL Draft.

I suppose it helps Furman that the best player on the best team isn't returning.

…and Randy Sanders refuses to go on without him…