#32544  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:31 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:42 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:21 am
While I think the influx of programs at the D1 level make recruiting more difficult, I don't think it's an excuse. As we've seen from Furman recently, we can have a top recruiting class despite those challenges.
Top recruiting classes based on offers maybe . . . the actual on-field production has not shown "top" talent at the FCS level.
Not, necessarily wrong, but definitely premature.

Only 2 of the Hendrix Staff’s (true) Recruiting Classes have taken the field at this juncture. The 2017 class was ‘cobbled together’ as is always the case in an external Coaching transition. The 2020 class has yet to see the field. And, FCS is different than FBS. Almost no Players leave for the NFL after 3 years. To the contrary, as FCS programs become well-established recruiting-wise, they are able to redshirt almost all of each incoming class. If they are smart, they find ways to keep (most of) the ones they want on the field for their 5th year. And to see full on-field impact of Recruited Players, you need to have at least 3 classes of them contributing significantly.

So...by the time the 2018 class reaches its 5th year of eligibility - the 2022 season, and, assuming FU continues to bring in top-rated Recruiting classes / top (FCS) tier talent in ‘21 & ‘22, if we are not competing (and defeating) top-tier FCS Teams on the field, then your statement would be accurate.

Would be super-fantastic to see that outcome arrive a year or 2 early though!!!
FUBeAR, EXACTLY. I made this exact point on Any Given Saturday last year (so prior even to 2019 season!! - we were even a year younger) ...and surprisingly caught a little heck where some (a few from this board) told me that it was now - and I quote- “CCH’s team on the field” as of 2019. I agree with you that is was not his team yet.. not really when you look behind the scenes.

I grant that many guys on the field were his recruits ... but to allow a redshirt and weight liftIng etc that really wasn’t his team yet. Just look at the fact both our QBs were R freshman. Many positions were like that. That’s not a mature team yet. Not fair to judge CCH on that. It’s still not his mature team until 2021 or 2022 considering, as you said, you have cobble your first recruiting class and then w success can recruit better etc

2021 is close and by '22 and '23 yep it is his team. If we are still losing in first playoff round or we finish third in SoCon in 2022/23 then we can comment on the recruits at that time.
Last edited by gofurman on Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #32547  by youwouldno
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:18 pm
Yeah, it takes time to evaluate recruiting classes, but another challenge is that success also depends on play schematics, sequencing, how the team practices, etc. (i.e., coaching). Despite the slide into mediocrity that began in the mid-aughts, the Paladins have always gotten pretty solid-looking recruits on paper, due to Furman being a good school with a nice campus, etc.

CCH got the Paladins into the #25-30 range in 2017 and 2018 using mostly Fowler's players, before falling back somewhat last year due to the poor finish to the season. So presumably, to the extent CCH can get the Paladins up higher in the top 25, that would be the difference from improved recruiting.
 #32548  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:29 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:38 am
I did the homework sometime in the past, but I think you are also seeing a lot more of Hendrix's recruits contributing later in their tenures.

There were a few recruiting classes under Fowler where maybe only two or three guys in a recruiting class went on to become key contributors as juniors or seniors. Under Hendrix, it looks like most of the class is contributing.
Jackal, agreed. one way to measure a class is by superstars (Devin Wynn what not) but also you have to look at how many people really contributed - and became starters.

As you have succinctly pointed out, w 63 scholarships, you can't afford to have many misses in FCS. You can't have classes of 15 guys where only 4 or 5 ever contribute. Back-to-back classes like that will absolutely kill you in FCS. We had a class or so like that prior to CCH unfortunately (not sure the numbers but several who never contributed much).

I do see CCH's guys contributing so that's a good sign

Astro - thank you for the post you had above w each class and the starters in bold. -pst 32536
I think Elijah McKoy is a starter too? Anyway, thanks for posting that!
Last edited by gofurman on Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #32549  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:17 pm
gofurman wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:29 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:38 am
I did the homework sometime in the past, but I think you are also seeing a lot more of Hendrix's recruits contributing later in their tenures.

There were a few recruiting classes under Fowler where maybe only two or three guys in a recruiting class went on to become key contributors as juniors or seniors. Under Hendrix, it looks like most of the class is contributing.
Jackal, agreed. one way to measure a class is by superstars (Devin Wynn what not) but also you have to look at how many people really contributed - and became starters.

As you have succinctly pointed out, w 63 scholarships, you can't afford to have many misses in FCS. You can't have classes of 15 guys where only 4 or 5 ever contribute. Back-to-back classes like that will absolutely kill you in FCS. We had a class or so like that prior to CCH unfortunately (not sure the numbers but several who never contributed much).

I do see CCH's guys contributing so that's a good sign

Astro - thank you for the post you had above w each class and the starters in bold.
I think Elijah McKoy is a starter too? Anyway, thanks for posting that!

Not only that, but a lot of those that did contribute ended up (1) playing early, and (2) playing out of position. Nowhere was this more obvious than along the defensive front.

During the Fowler classes, we struggled to develop depth. We recruited talented players, but many of them came into the program undersized. They were often forced into action as freshmen. They were not given time to develop.

We were also having to move guys to plug gaps. Because of an inability to recruit along the defensive front, several of our linebackers had to move to defensive end, defensive ends to defensive tackle, safeties to linebacker. In Hendrix's first season, he had a linebacking corps made up of a former quarterback and two safeties.

We are now getting LB signees that are as big as the defensive linemen we were recruiting 7 or 8 years ago. They play linebacker. Our safeties play safety. Our defensive linemen play defensive line. They are not rushed into playing time. They develop. They improve.

We haven't seen the benefits of all of this yet. We soon will.
 #32572  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:34 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:05 pm
Wasn't last years recruiting class ranked #2 in FCS?
By one - really the only one that follows it - recruiting service.
 #32574  by cavedweller2
 Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:32 pm
JohnW wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:10 pm
Per his tweet Ryan Lamb, 6-2 320 C/NG, has committed. He is from Frisco, TX.
Frisco Tx. We need to make sure he gets to go home to play in front of his hometown fans several times during his career.
FUKA61 liked this
 #32578  by Paul C
 Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:02 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:32 pm
JohnW wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:10 pm
Per his tweet Ryan Lamb, 6-2 320 C/NG, has committed. He is from Frisco, TX.
Frisco Tx. We need to make sure he gets to go home to play in front of his hometown fans several times during his career.
BIg dude...I like his mean streak

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dad always said finish your block. <a href="https://t.co/2NKT4E0ISV">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Ryan_Lamb (@RyanLamb03) <a href="
27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
 #32582  by AstroDin
 Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:45 pm
really excited about the Ryan Lamb commitment, I've been following him for a while,
a few more twitter posts to go along with Pauls.

#32649  by AstroDin
 Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:54 pm
Some nice sack highlights of Furman commit Bryce3 Stanfield…
Playing NG on these clips but expected to DE at Furman at 6-2 250.
 #32743  by AstroDin
 Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:40 am
I've been trying to reviewing on Saturday mornings how DIN commits are doing this season. The one sobering thing is almost every week a game is canceled due to COVID.

Jace Wilson and Mayde Creek did get to play this week and picked up their first district win ><

For Apaladin > you're always saying where is the deep ball! I give you some Jace Wilson…

#32744  by AstroDin
 Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:45 am
Found a few more that show how slippery Jace Wilson is… not sure we've had a QB like this. Reminds me of PJ but appears more slippery, reminds me of a Jayson Foster but with a big accurate arm.

#32745  by youwouldno
 Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:10 am
I'm not sure you can measure accuracy by a few highlights. Wilson's stats this year are significantly . . . more modest . . . than any other Furman QB commit I can think of. Completion % in the mid-50s, more interceptions than passing TDs, and not a ton of rushing yards for a mobile, undersized QB. He will be a major development project, which seems to be the preference of this staff. Hopefully it will work eventually.
apaladin liked this
 #32750  by AstroDin
 Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:13 pm
not saying you're not spot-on > but > Jace and his Dad are now at a new school - know for being a rushing team in arguably one of the toughest football districts in the US. The HC at Mayde brought in Coach Wilson and they're implementing a new offense in a very disruptive season and by what I've seen the offense is heating up.

The good news for Jace is he has two guys ahead of him and he has two years to develop. That said IMO the kid has talent.

Also, Furman appears to be on the trail for QB's in 2022. Several interesting prospects getting attention from Furman.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.