• Incarnate Word

#61754  by Bootie
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:08 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:56 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:17 am
Who did Texas State hire?
UIW and TSU are only 50 minutes travel time apart. I-35. About like FU to CU, except FU to CU has no direct expressway connection. The coach is not going far, nor will he have to move far. And his “local reputation” will be fulIy on the line. The 2 football programs are in the same media market. I expect he will have zero problem throughout the playoffs, including tomorrow, keeping his attention fully on coaching UIW. His being hired at this time is no advantage to Furman’s chances to win tomorrow.
There’s no way to measure it but i think it has to create some significant distraction. I recall us going through that distraction in 2001 when we learned Bobby Johnson was being considered for the Vandy job the week before our NC game. I can’t speak to it from the player’s perspectives, but as fans, it was definitely a distraction and I imagine it affects players even more.

What do you former players say?
 #61755  by Mr. Taggart
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:29 am
Not a former player, but it did not work out very well for Furman when Niko Medved left in the middle of a postseason tournament.
 #61757  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:41 am
Ain’t gonna bother them a whit.

They are a conglomeration of 24 year old mercenaries and know what’s up with their mob boss moving to a more lucrative hood.

Hate it, but that’s way too often the norm in College Football & Basketball today…except for D3.
Bootie, apaladin, JohnKX512 liked this
 #61758  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:44 am
Friday thoughts:

1. Play our game. These are two different styles of football teams. I think both teams are going to want to enforce their "style" of play on the other.

We've faced fast-paced up tempo offenses before. Samford's like that. Western Carolina is. Those teams can struggle against a good ball control offense when you can convert long drives and then quickly get a three and out or turnover followed by another solid drive. Furman has the ability to keep UIW's offense on the sideline.

2. Have to convert third and fourth downs.

This is probably not a game where Furman's offense can stall out on the 30 and we win by laying up field goals. We've got to keep possession. We've got to convert touchdowns. That means we've got to stay on the field and pick up third and fourth downs, especially in short yardage situations.

3. Do the things that got you here.

Stop the run. Hold on to the football. Regardless of what happened on the last play, get ready for the next play. Turn them over. Play physical. Tackle.
bj93 liked this
 #61759  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:54 am
The University of Inveterately Weak RedBirds DB’s want to tackle even less than e*Loan’s did, which was not at all.

Need to get our ball toters opportunities to ‘engage’ with their 3rd level - also the only young-ish Players they will put on the field. Once they have a few of those engagements, they will tap out or “quiet quit” and we’ll be able to impose our Offensive will… as we did to the Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians last week.
 #61761  by MNORM
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:53 am
saltyshaker wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:42 am
has he actually been hired?i have been hearing tulsa as well.
He's been hired by Texas State.
 #61762  by Flagman
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:57 am
Is there a Vegas line on the game, yet?
 #61763  by MNORM
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:58 am
Was at PS to help send the team off this morning. Was a nice little group of supporters, including the ROTC department. ED and her husband are making the trip with the team.
Praying for a safe flight and travels for the team as well as those of you making the trip to SAT. GO PALADINS!
Last edited by MNORM on Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roundball, JohnKX512, apaladin and 4 others liked this
 #61764  by Roundball
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:59 am
Flagman wrote:
Furman +8.5, whatever that means. O/U is 63.5.
 #61765  by MNORM
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 am
Roundball wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:59 am
Flagman wrote:
Furman +8.5, whatever that means. O/U is 63.5.
So that would be in the ballpark of a 28-36 UIW win...I think. I was not a math major lol.
 #61770  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:27 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:44 am

We've faced fast-paced up tempo offenses before. Samford's like that. Western Carolina is. Those teams can struggle against a good ball control offense when you can convert long drives and then quickly get a three and out or turnover followed by another solid drive. Furman has the ability to keep UIW's offense on the sideline.
Yep. Furman kept the famous Hatch Attack scoreless for the first 21 mins until the Furman offense imploded. The ability the defense has to slow these high powered offenses can really frustrate and cause them to force the ball into turnover situations.
 #61774  by purplehorse123
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:45 am
I remember going on the team plane to the second round game at Marshall when we won 13-9 and we went on to win our National Championship in 1988. What an unbelievable experience and environment. I guess there will be no more opportunities like that in the future to be on the team plane. It sure was enjoyable.

I think this team has learned how to win this year and I expect them to win.
JohnKX512, dornb, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #61776  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:57 am
Purple rain wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:05 am
Our RB's will make you decide if you really want to tackle or not. Dom is a LOAD!
Yes…and…Huff and Abrams…along with Anderson & Miller also ATTACK DB’s with gusto when they have the rock under their arms.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar TV

by Afurmanfan

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:36 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:28 pm

Default Avatar Other teams on schedule - upcoming scouting

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:05 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.