• Around the SoCon

#47352  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:23 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:22 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:01 am
A question for FUBear or Jackal…
A few Bison fans are bringing up ETSU's lack of experience playing against A-Gap Football, West Coast Power Football.
I read a little and it reminded me of option football?
Nah - tight power scheme - RB hits hole between C & G w/lead back & b/s OG wrapping to lead…p/s OG is down blocking…C blocks back…p/s OT is outblocking (instead of downblocking) because it’s A-Gap power instead of ‘normal’ power….variations to all of this depending on the D

Here is a good article with videos https://www.cover1.net/north-dakota-st ... ariations/

My guess is NDSU fans think that ETSU can't defend their power run scheme and how amazing they are at everything.
 #47360  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:29 am
Will be pulling for ETSU but don’t think this will end well. The other team I will be pulling for is Montana against JMU. The other 2, don’t really care.
 #47361  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:51 am
AstroDin wrote:
A few Bison fans are bringing up ETSU's lack of experience playing against A-Gap Football, West Coast Power Football.
Hold on…Cooper Kupp, former star FCS WR, has a better answer for you…

gman84, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #47362  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:14 am
At some level, football is a game of strength and athleticism.

At another level, football is a game of understanding that there are only so many places 11 guys can be at one time within the confines of the rules.

The best teams are really good at both areas.
gman84 liked this
 #47363  by gman84
 Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:29 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:51 am
AstroDin wrote:
Hold on…Cooper Kupp, former star FCS WR, has a better answer for you…

I remember watching an EWU playoff game a few years back. Cooper Kupp was killing it.... probably because he is a "student" of the game.
 #47364  by Davemeister
 Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:36 am
Can't say I understand what Coop was talking about, but evidently it worked.
 #47374  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:26 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
Nah - tight power scheme - RB hits hole between C & G w/lead back & b/s OG wrapping to lead…p/s OG is down blocking…C blocks back…p/s OT is outblocking (instead of downblocking) because it’s A-Gap power instead of ‘normal’ power….variations to all of this depending on the D

Here is a good article with videos https://www.cover1.net/north-dakota-st ... ariations/

My guess is NDSU fans think that ETSU can't defend their power run scheme and how amazing they are at everything.
I HOPE for the SoCon that ETSU stays close.. or wins. But my brain tells me that NDSU indeed IS AMAZING at most everything... that's why they crush so many teams so often. I think NDSU is freakin' amazing. They make what App State did look like childs play.

Alabama WISHES they could win titles at the rate of NDSU - Bama has what? 4 of the last 9 or something? Whie NDSU has 7 of the last 9 FCS titles... It is not even close
 #47375  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:08 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

I HOPE for the SoCon that ETSU stays close.. or wins. But my brain tells me that NDSU indeed IS AMAZING at most everything... that's why they crush so many teams so often. I think NDSU is freakin' amazing. They make what App State did look like childs play.

Alabama WISHES they could win titles at the rate of NDSU - Bama has what? 4 of the last 9 or something? Whie NDSU has 7 of the last 9 FCS titles... It is not even close
NDSU has had an amazing run.

I do think it is worth noting that most of NDSU's championships occurred after App State and Georgia Southern left the FCS. Roughly half of them came after Coastal did.

Just tossing this out there, but if you took away a few of the top teams competing for titles every season, the field would look pretty different.
 #47412  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:08 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

NDSU has had an amazing run.

I do think it is worth noting that most of NDSU's championships occurred after App State and Georgia Southern left the FCS. Roughly half of them came after Coastal did.

Just tossing this out there, but if you took away a few of the top teams competing for titles every season, the field would look pretty different.
Jackal, I agree - without Marshall, App and GSU (among others) it is a different field.. Heck, now JMU and others are leaving.

I have read that NDSU has that dome which prevents them from moving to FBS - you need some number of fans (15K?) but I see their dome (which sells out a lot I bet) holds 18K so they could move up..

What are the reasons NDSU doesn't 'pull a Marshall' and move up? I t appears the staiium would qualify... Is it the conferences that are geographically nearby?
 #47415  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:34 pm
GF there is no minimum stadium requirement at any level and hasn’t been one for years. Sam Houstoo.that is moving up seats 14,000 smaller than PS.
 #47607  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:56 pm
Midway through the third quarter, it's 13-0 NDSU over ETSU.

NDSU is in no way dominating the Bucs. It's a competitive game and, frankly, like most ETSU games.

I watch this stuff and continue to believe Furman isn't that far away. We were every bit ETSU's equal and they are giving NDSU a fight in Fargo.
 #47608  by Furmanoid
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:

NDSU is in no way dominating the Bucs. It's a competitive game and, frankly, like most ETSU games.

I watch this stuff and continue to believe Furman isn't that far away. We were every bit ETSU's equal and they are giving NDSU a fight in Fargo.
The game I’m watching isn’t competitive.
 #47609  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:07 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:

The game I’m watching isn’t competitive.
ETSU doesn't have the big playmaker QB, which they haven't all season.

It's certainly competitive. NDSU is the better team, but this isn't a blowout.
 #47610  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:12 pm
I do think it'd be nice some time for the NCAA committee to stop scheduling the southern teams to fight against one another and then send them to Fargo.
dornb liked this
 #47611  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:18 pm
I can see some of Hendrix's comments on playing teams like UTC and ETSU and their roster formation.

ETSU's middle linebacker is a transfer player and 26 years old. He started playing college football in 2014. That's nuts.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar TV

by Afurmanfan

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:36 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:28 pm

Default Avatar Other teams on schedule - upcoming scouting

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:05 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.