• 2019 Offensive Line

#15306  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:59 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:10 pm
“We're bigger, stronger, and a lot better looking now.”

Not sure how that last one is possible. O-Linemen are ALWAYS good looking!
AstroDin liked this
 #15319  by fufanatic
 Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:31 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 am
If you didn't see the preview.

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2019/8/ ... -line.aspx

Sounds like we have a solid two deep rotation across the entire OL and can start working some of the younger guys in as the situation allows.
No disrespect to Cole Neely, who would start for many teams in the country, but it sure does sound like Even Jumper will be the starter at center sooner rather than later. I'm guessing at the very least they rotate some throughout the game, which seems a bit bizarre for the center position, but if you have two great players, what are you supposed to do?

Other note is that I love how open and honest CCH is. Not as much as CBR, but still it's nice to hear. The best part is that if he's this honest with us the fans, you know he's being even more honest to the players. I bet they all have a lot of respect for him for that very reason.

I'm excited for this o-line and it makes me feel good that if someone goes down, we should be in good hands with another player. Great depth!
AstroDin, DeepPurple liked this
 #15320  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:36 am
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Sounds like we have a solid two deep rotation across the entire OL and can start working some of the younger guys in as the situation allows.
No disrespect to Cole Neely, who would start for many teams in the country, but it sure does sound like Even Jumper will be the starter at center sooner rather than later. I'm guessing at the very least they rotate some throughout the game, which seems a bit bizarre for the center position, but if you have two great players, what are you supposed to do?

Other note is that I love how open and honest CCH is. Not as much as CBR, but still it's nice to hear. The best part is that if he's this honest with us the fans, you know he's being even more honest to the players. I bet they all have a lot of respect for him for that very reason.

I'm excited for this o-line and it makes me feel good that if someone goes down, we should be in good hands with another player. Great depth!
Maybe. Center is a tough position and is arguably the most critical position on the offense outside of the QB.

I would expect the Paladins to go with the more veteran guy to begin the season.
FUBeAR, FUKA61 liked this
 #15322  by fufanatic
 Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Maybe. Center is a tough position and is arguably the most critical position on the offense outside of the QB.

I would expect the Paladins to go with the more veteran guy to begin the season.
Oh I agree. I fully expect to see Neely start the year, but these lines stood out to me. That's a pretty strong hint that Jumper will be seeing a lot of action as a freshman, and not just in mop-up duty.

"Pushing Neely at center is freshman Evan Jumper (6-4, 262, Fr.), the one newcomer along the offensive line who has the most potential to make an impact this fall.

"The thing about Evan is he was an early (January) enrollee. We got him in here, and he went thru spring practice and has put on 25 pounds. Right now he's basically neck and neck with Cole and certainly appears to be a guy we will be able to count on.""
 #15333  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:35 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Oh I agree. I fully expect to see Neely start the year, but these lines stood out to me. That's a pretty strong hint that Jumper will be seeing a lot of action as a freshman, and not just in mop-up duty.

"Pushing Neely at center is freshman Evan Jumper (6-4, 262, Fr.), the one newcomer along the offensive line who has the most potential to make an impact this fall.

"The thing about Evan is he was an early (January) enrollee. We got him in here, and he went thru spring practice and has put on 25 pounds. Right now he's basically neck and neck with Cole and certainly appears to be a guy we will be able to count on.""
Though I want experience at Center (and all the OL) I am very glad to see this as Neely really had no backup... we ran Kroeber at C last year but then put him back at his more natural Guard. So glad to hear we have Neely and that Jumper looks to be a good one.
 #17848  by fufanatic
 Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:19 am
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

No disrespect to Cole Neely, who would start for many teams in the country, but it sure does sound like Even Jumper will be the starter at center sooner rather than later.
Just wanted to pat myself on the back for this prediction based purely on reading between the lines. :D So happy we have two great center candidates, but man it says something about Jumper to come in and steal center starting spot as a true freshman. I bet he’s having more fun than if he was at Rutgers losing 52-0 at Michigan.
 #17849  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:25 am
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:19 am
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

No disrespect to Cole Neely, who would start for many teams in the country, but it sure does sound like Even Jumper will be the starter at center sooner rather than later.
Just wanted to pat myself on the back for this prediction based purely on reading between the lines. :D So happy we have two great center candidates, but man it says something about Jumper to come in and steal center starting spot as a true freshman. I bet he’s having more fun than if he was at Rutgers losing 52-0 at Michigan.
nice call fufanatic ! glad to see we have two strong centers ! The others seem to be backups for now and will get their shot (Tomlin etc) but Jumper must really be something