• POLLS. And September. Both are SO important !!!

#6846  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:02 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:52 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:59 am
I was glad we were playing Elon and Colgate. WE just need to get better and be sure we beat such teams from CAA and Patriot plus all of the SoCon. No let downs such as at ETSU.
It was difficult for the committee, I am sure, to see a 6-4 Elon and 6-4 Furman team sitting there. It's difficult to make an argument for Furman's inclusion over Elon even though the Paladins were playing better football.

Unfortunately, out of all the games on our scheduled that could have been canceled, the Colgate game was a tough one to lose. Win that game and we are easily in the post season. Lose and we aren't in at all. At least we would have had a bit of clarity.
Jackal I have to disagree here. LOSING TO COLGATE COULD HAVE been the best thing to happen to Furman !!! It would have given us game reps and practice we desperately needed at that time with such a young team. Maybeb the coaches are able to work with the OL etc and we are more ready for ETSU . Maybe, just MAYBE, losing to Colgate could have had us better prepared for ETSU !

Then we beat ETSU and win the SoCon outright and we are in the playoffs, all because we LOST to Colgate ! So beat Colgate - make playoffs. Lose to colgate ??? maybe it helps us beat ETSU ?? we will never know - I realize that is a supposition but the truth remains if we beat Colgate we are in playoffs. Losing to Colgate MAY have helped us.

IE, the only bad possibility was NOT PLAYING the Colgate game ;)

I think we all know the probability of us beating Colgate at home was very high, they are a mirage to their weak schedule, every team they played stunk (except for Army who surprise beat them)

Just look at their scores last year after we killed them, they dominated the Patriot last year almost identical to this year, the only reason they are sitting there with a seed and first round bye is because of that damn hurricane, meanwhile its the reason we are sitting at home
 #6853  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:36 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:00 pm
The chair of the committee was from the Southland. Think that doesn't make a difference? Last year 9-2 McNeese from the Southland didn't make it. This year 3 teams including 7-4 Lamar and 6-4 IWU.
Real question. Does the chair Vote? how does he affect the process exactly ???
 #6858  by MNORM
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:06 pm
They've always done this. They are lazy and it is obvious they do very little if any research and really don't care.
ap, not exactly. The committee was more tied to the AGS poll and nobowls.com

this year they went straight down STATS/COACHES which are FAR WORSE polls.. lazy azz biatches
This is correct. The committee, for some completely irrational reason, decided to rely on the Coaches Poll for determining which bubble teams made the playoffs. It was announced in a press release a day or two before the selection show. I knew then and there that Furman was likely getting woffed. This is the first year the selection committee has relied on the lazy and completely inaccurate Coaches poll...and this is the result.