• Iowa State December 1st

#6780  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:51 am
If we lost out on the playoffs to a team that is keeping their December 1 non-playoff game, I'm going to suspect politics were in play.

Like being going out with a girl at 6:00 and keeping another date for 9:00 in case the first one doesn't go well.
MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #6782  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:54 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:51 am
If we lost out on the playoffs to a team that is keeping their December 1 non-playoff game, I'm going to suspect politics were in play.

Like being going out with a girl at 6:00 and keeping another date for 9:00 in case the first one doesn't go well.

Indeed, its beyond ridiculous at this point
 #6786  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 pm
I honestly don't think I would be this upset if Indiana State had gotten in over Incarnate Word and we were 1st team out. The fact that we weren't even listed and two clowns from the Southland got in is almost too much for me to handle.

I still can't get over the committee chair saying ETSU's and Wofford's wins were better than Furman. WE HAD THE SAME WINS except we challenged ourselves in non-conference and the others didn't.
Riz Dawg, dornb, FUPaladins and 1 others liked this
 #6787  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:14 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 pm
I honestly don't think I would be this upset if Indiana State had gotten in over Incarnate Word and we were 1st team out. The fact that we weren't even listed and two clowns from the Southland got in is almost too much for me to handle.

I still can't get over the committee chair saying ETSU's and Wofford's wins were better than Furman. WE HAD THE SAME WINS except we challenged ourselves in non-conference and the others didn't.

The total sham boils down to 2 things, the complete worthlessness of the WCU AD representing the SoCon and the corruptness of the Central Arkansas AD from the Southland running the committee
bj93, dornb liked this
 #6794  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:31 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:15 pm
I'm sure he wrote and re-wrote that tweet several times before hitting send. I bet he wants to say a lot more, but taking the high road certainly makes sense for his position. I do hope, however, that he has a nice little chat with the WCU AD and maybe the chair of the committee just to let them know how he feels.
Riz Dawg, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #6802  by MNORM
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:57 pm
The SoCon also needs to get their tie-breaker language tightened up...WAY too much room for interpretation and confusion.
Riz Dawg, dornb, Jasper and 2 others liked this
 #6807  by JohnW
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:46 pm
Tie breaker should be margin of victory, not limited to points allowed only. Whole game has to be a better measure than one phase only.
 #6812  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:14 pm
JohnW wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:46 pm
Tie breaker should be margin of victory, not limited to points allowed only. Whole game has to be a better measure than one phase only.

Exactly what a joke, gives more credit to a team for beating someone 7-3 than beating them 60-10, what a joke system
 #6816  by paladinfan12
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 pm
Unless Iowa State thinks they will be able to make money having a game that weekend I don't think it makes sense for them to play a game. They probably thought that game was going to be necessary to get to 6 wins and go bowling, but now that they are 6-4 it isn't needed.
 #6817  by Paul C
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:33 pm
I would think they are faced with a dilemna of play the game or refund all you season ticket holders for a game. That's a pretty straight forward math problem...

Let's say they have 20k season ticket holders and they charge $40 per game, that's $800k. Makes sense to pay an FCS team half that to come in and play a game.
 #6826  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:38 pm
MNORM wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:57 pm
The SoCon also needs to get their tie-breaker language tightened up...WAY too much room for interpretation and confusion.
I don't think the SoCon expected the tiebreaker ever to get that far, but you are correct. It is poorly written.

Forcing a team to not only win, but to play for a certain defensive result is just asanine (especially when the final score was surrendered by Furman's offense, not the defense)
 #6828  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:42 pm
Taking Incarnate Word is an absolute joke. They were 3-2 in their last 5 games losing to the Southland #1 and #2. They lost to #1 by 27 points. They were clearly the Southland #3. Furman on the other hand was 6-1 their last 7 games and was clearly as good if not better than the other 2 they were tied with for first in the SoCon..
Total point difference between FU, WC and ETSU.
Furman +18
Wofford -7
ETSU -11
IMHO this "committee" goes strictly by the STATS and Coaches poll like they always have. We like to think they are analyzing and comparing teams like the NCCA basketball committee but that obviously doesn't happen. They are lazy. There is no way you can justify taking IW over FU or ISU etc.
dornb, Riz Dawg and 1 others liked this