#75447  by gman84
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:10 am
I look at it this way. Many calls were BS and certainly helped SC. As the season progresses we will get some that go our way. They will be conference games with much more on the line.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #75449  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:21 am
gman84 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:10 am
I look at it this way. Many calls were BS and certainly helped SC. As the season progresses we will get some that go our way. They will be conference games with much more on the line.
Fingers crossed you will be right!
gman84 liked this
 #75466  by Purple rain
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:23 pm
We also had an Offensive Interference called on us after a nice 1st down gain, that looked bogus on the replay. They called 0 on them with all those push offs.
It would not have changed the outcome but kept it more of a game.
Go Dins.
 #75487  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:29 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:54 pm
Let's move on.

It is what it is.... When we sign up for that P5 paycheck we are also signing up to play against rigged officiating, them's the facts mane.............
 #75500  by Stumpy
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:04 pm
Flagman wrote:
Let's move on.
Dude.

I haven't forgiven Western for tearing down the goalposts 40 years ago. Do you think I'm gonna let a bogus OPI that sucked the wind out of us at a critical time just slide?

Sheesh.
FU Hoopla, Paul C, bj93 and 4 others liked this
 #75504  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:32 pm
Stumpy wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:04 pm
Flagman wrote:
Let's move on.
Dude.

I haven't forgiven Western for tearing down the goalposts 40 years ago. Do you think I'm gonna let a bogus OPI that sucked the wind out of us at a critical time just slide?

Sheesh.
Atta guy!

Still think that, when we came out in the 1st series of the 2nd half and were finally moving the ball, down 7-0 and had only gained 60 yards in the 1st half, and we took it down to about their 40…and then threw a pick 6…that HAD to be DPI or holding or something!! Ref’s were just scared of SC State’s big crowd and too cowardly to make the right call for the home-standing Paladins. All downhill from there and we were eliminated from out 1st NCAA Playoff in 1982 before we even really started. Dang Refs!!
 #75518  by tya1
 Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:49 pm
We lost to UIW in the playoffs while giving up some big passing completions. We barely hung on to victory against Western Carolina after giving up three long TD passing plays, including two in the 4th quarter. Several of those big plays came after it seemed the opposition got away with some handsy play before the catch. I think the refs on all levels allow more contact than they use to. We just have to deal with it. Also understand that we play defense differently than we used to. Back in the 80s we would play deeper in the back to prevent long passes.
We play tighter in the middle of the field now to make the shorter and mid range passes harder to complete. There is always a tradeoff. Play tighter and force the QB to wait longer to read the field and throw and you get more sacks, hurries and TOs. Didn't we lead FCS in forced TOs last year? That style sometimes leaves your DBs in straight one on one coverages though.

Play looser and deeper when the ball in is in the middle of the field and try to tighten up in the red zone and force more FG attempts. That also can frustrate teams that have to switch their approach inside the redzone. What worked between the 20s doesn't work any more. Either style can be a winning style.
FurmAlum liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.