• Tennessee Tech - August 31

#74156  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:53 am
Write up on TTU's first scrimmage.

Sounds like the defense gave up a lot of rushing yards. In a scrimmage, it's always hard to know if that's good offense or lack of production on defense.

I suppose it's good to know that TTU's defense struggled to contain their own team's running game. Furman will give them one of the nation's best rush attacks in a few weeks.

https://www.ttusports.com/sports/fball/ ... 0812oj389w
 #74161  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:09 pm
I'll take a 1 point win................................. Just get the W boys.......................
 #74165  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:55 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:53 pm
I'll take a 1-point win vs. TTU as an ill omen.
A win is a win. A close win at Charleston Southern wasn't a portent of the rest of the 2022 season either.

I suspect this will be a trenches game. TTU has some studs at running back, but little experience at QB. Furman has a stout run defense and I'm sure is going to try and force the Golden Eagles to throw the ball.

TTU was stingy defensively in Cookeville two years ago. We're the biggest game on their schedule and can give their program an instant big win and credibility. They'll throw everything they've got at us.
 #74167  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:53 am
Write up on TTU's first scrimmage.

Sounds like the defense gave up a lot of rushing yards. In a scrimmage, it's always hard to know if that's good offense or lack of production on defense.

I suppose it's good to know that TTU's defense struggled to contain their own team's running game. Furman will give them one of the nation's best rush attacks in a few weeks.

https://www.ttusports.com/sports/fball/ ... 0812oj389w
Any intel on the scrimmage on Saturday?
 #74172  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:26 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:46 pm
Winning by 1 means not playing well, and I'm not sure why anyone would be happy with not playing well.

Beats somehow losing, doesn't make it good.

Yes, ideally we want to dominate every opponent. Winning is the goal. Ugly, pretty, doesn't matter.

The team isn't going to hit on all cylinders every game. The mark of a good team, sometimes, is being able to win without your "best stuff."
 #74173  by youwouldno
 Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:26 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:46 pm
Winning by 1 means not playing well, and I'm not sure why anyone would be happy with not playing well.

Beats somehow losing, doesn't make it good.

Yes, ideally we want to dominate every opponent. Winning is the goal. Ugly, pretty, doesn't matter.

The team isn't going to hit on all cylinders every game. The mark of a good team, sometimes, is being able to win without your "best stuff."

Ideally you don't want to win by 1 when you're favored by 25. In a system where polls matter. :|

Fun fact, the Massey predicted score (38 - 13) is the exact same - in reverse - to the Furman v. USC game. That's how big the gap is.

The computers should (and do) underrate Furman because they don't 'know' about Roper and Huff, and the preseason rating includes some input from pre 2022 seasons.

The programs tweets talk about excellence and eliteness, I missed the part about planning to squeak by massively inferior opponents - at home.
apaladin liked this
 #74176  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:54 am
I think we've both been on this board long enough to know that we see the world differently on this.

We struggled to beat a 2-win Charleston Southern team last year. Our 2004 team, perhaps one of our best ever, won 10-0 against a 3-win Elon team. Do you want those results every week? No. Can you draw a bunch of conclusions about the rest of the season if you don't have a great game against an inferior opponent? Also no.
 #74177  by youwouldno
 Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:51 am
Your logic that something is good because it could have been worse remains invalid, sorry.

This team is coming off a strong season, returns basically the most production of any team in FCS, it's just stupid to act like it's ok to struggle with TTU. Hendrix certainly would be a lot less sublime about it in the locker room.
apaladin liked this
 #74275  by Paladin82
 Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:51 pm
gofurman wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:11 am
Who is coming? I will be there and be loud !

C'mon - let's support the guys !
I will be there but having to drive up from Kennesaw, Georgia I'm not a fan of these Thursday night games but I guess I'll make up for it on 9/16.
Stumpy, apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.