• Kennesaw State - Sept. 16

#73052  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:59 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:42 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:43 am
I watched Klenack's interview. Sounds like they are going to settle on some sort of hybrid pistol attack. He notes "there's a lot of layers" to the offense "but we haven't built many of them yet."

I agree that we'll probably see something akin to what Wofford tried to do the last two years - move away from the option to a more modern offense but end up without really the personnel to do either thing well. Wofford basically turned into a one-dimensional outside zone run offense.
IiRC they came out against us and threw about every down. Worked for a while.
If you’re talking Woffy @ FU in the final regular season game of ‘22, that was after HC Conklin had quit/was fired mid-season.

FUBeAR & (possibly) Jackal are more referring to the Woffy O that they started trying to roll out to open 2019 @ SCSU (a 28-13 loss with 23 little dog pass attempts), immediately shelved for the rest of that season …before going back to it in fits & starts when they quit during (‘20-‘21) CovidSpring and lost 16 straight over the ‘21 & ‘22 seasons.

Wouldn’t expect the owlets to throw it every play this fall, but would expect to see more than the single digit attempts / game their returning QB avg’d in 2022.
 #73056  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:42 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:43 am
I watched Klenack's interview. Sounds like they are going to settle on some sort of hybrid pistol attack. He notes "there's a lot of layers" to the offense "but we haven't built many of them yet."

I agree that we'll probably see something akin to what Wofford tried to do the last two years - move away from the option to a more modern offense but end up without really the personnel to do either thing well. Wofford basically turned into a one-dimensional outside zone run offense.
IiRC they came out against us and threw about every down. Worked for a while. They threw 43 times for over 400 yds.

I think Wofford came into last year's game knowing they weren't going to be able to run the ball against our defense (which was true - they finished with 37 yards).

To their credit, they appeared to surprise us with their game plan early by throwing the ball deep. They hit on a number of deep post routes early in the contest - essentially wining 50/50 jump balls with their taller receivers.

As soon as Furman made an adjustment though, that game plan was out the window. It became evident that the only way Wofford was going to move the ball was by heaving it down field and hoping their receivers would out jump our DBs. Vaughn let the defense off the chain and they played in the Terrier backfield the rest of the afternoon.
 #73057  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:02 pm
Talking about the Wofford game, let me not miss an opportunity to post this clip again.

If you can't double team a nose guard and keep him from planting your running back in the backfield, you're going to have a looooong afternoon.
Davemeister, QCGlue liked this
 #73078  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:49 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:11 pm
Gonna miss him this year. He was solid.
We'll miss Coleman.

However, Xavier Stephens ended up as one of the team leaders and sacks, and transfer Sirod Cook, I expect, will be an explosive player inside as well.
apaladin liked this
 #73090  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:06 pm
Stumpy wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:42 pm
Is that a money game for Furman?
Probably not. It is a return game from a few years back.
 #73461  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:03 am
https://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadium ... dium-s2522

Not sure how they could adequately review the owlets’ stadium without mentioning Burger Chef, but they did. Apparently the reviewer is a fan of this stadium / fast food joint.
 #73466  by Affirm
 Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:30 am
FUBeAR wrote:
https://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadium ... dium-s2522

Not sure how they could adequately review the owlets’ stadium without mentioning Burger Chef, but they did. Apparently the reviewer is a fan of this stadium / fast food joint.
Do Burger Chefs still exist?
I thought they went out of business in about 1970.
I would assume the reviewers of KSU’s stadium (I did not read the article) are too “young” to even know Burger Chef was ever a thing.
 #73467  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:54 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:30 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Do Burger Chefs still exist?
I thought they went out of business in about 1970.
I would assume the reviewers of KSU’s stadium (I did not read the article) are too “young” to even know Burger Chef was ever a thing.
Just for you…

FUBeAR has determined that the Stadium Journey reviewer is approximately 66 years old. https://www.linkedin.com/in/lloyd-brown-a68746263

As Burger Chef restaurants operated in the US until 1996 https://burgerbeast.com/burger-chef/, when the reviewer would have been approximately 39 years old, FUBeAR feels it is not completely unreasonable to assume the reviewer was/is aware that Burger Chef was “a thing.”

But your likely erroneous assumption regarding the potential validity of the commentary within FUBeAR’s post is certainly most appreciated.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #73469  by apaladin
 Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:11 am
Kickooff at 5PM. Obviously the peeps at KSU are not the sharpest tacks in the box. First that is the hottest part of the day and second it is prime time for thunderstorms so it wll either be hot as h*** or delayed.
 #73471  by Davemeister
 Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
As Burger Chef restaurants operated in the US until 1996 https://burgerbeast.com/burger-chef/, when the reviewer would have been approximately 39 years old, FUBeAR feels it is not completely unreasonable to assume the reviewer was/is aware that Burger Chef was “a thing.”

I worked for a little while at Burger Chef during High School before upgrading to McDonald's. I can assure you Burger Chef was never "a thing."
 #73472  by Roundball
 Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:05 pm
Davemeister wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

I worked for a little while at Burger Chef during High School before upgrading to McDonald's. I can assure you Burger Chef was never "a thing."
The Burger Chef in Greenville was only a half mile down Wade Hampton Blvd. from the Clock. Everyone knows who won that battle. Long live The Clock!
Davemeister liked this
 #73473  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:00 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:05 pm
The Burger Chef in Greenville was only a half mile down Wade Hampton Blvd. from the Clock. Everyone knows who won that battle. Long live The Clock!
Well … if Burger Chef sux so much, tell FUBeAR why would Kennesaw design their stadium to be one?

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.