• Observations on WCU game

#4605  by Jasper
 Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:36 am
Someone pointed out the obvious the other day that WCU was not the defense faced in the first two games. That notwithstanding, we never even tried plays like this in those games. I can only assume that the staff was working with a very limited playbook then due to the necessity of using freshmen QB's. The video of the flair to Wynn shows good pocket presence by Roberts. I love these young RB's by the way. Wynn runs very effortlessly but covers lots of ground. It looked like several DBs had the angle on him but he just ran away from them. This next week will test whether a corner has been turned or not.
 #4609  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:53 am
Jasper wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:36 am
Someone pointed out the obvious the other day that WCU was not the defense faced in the first two games. That notwithstanding, we never even tried plays like this in those games. I can only assume that the staff was working with a very limited playbook then due to the necessity of using freshmen QB's. The video of the flair to Wynn shows good pocket presence by Roberts. I love these young RB's by the way. Wynn runs very effortlessly but covers lots of ground. It looked like several DBs had the angle on him but he just ran away from them. This next week will test whether a corner has been turned or not.
Without question, I think Furman's playbook was scaled down early in the season. I also think we started to see better play from our offensive line. Coach Hendrix deciding to go for it on fourth down on our own 18 sends a message.

I am very bullish on our backfield. We have three very good looking running backs.
dornb, Davemeister liked this
 #4618  by palafan
 Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:45 pm
I am excited at win one of seven in a row to come :D

Roberts, can throw the ball and he has some wheels when he gets past the line. His presence and confidence running the option stopped defenders in their tracks and gave our running backs an opening to move the ball in chunks.

We got a little conservative in the end and it almost cost us. Gotta keep the foot on they neck and daintz in they guts until the bell tolls.

Read it. Wipe it. Money am on the dresser. - GSU88
Bootie liked this
 #4619  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 pm
I think we saw more option pitches Saturday than we have the other 3 games combined. Huge part of this offense!!
 #4622  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 pm
I think we saw more option pitches Saturday than we have the other 3 games combined. Huge part of this offense!!
Agree. Option was beautiful. I do think we saw a few more than we might have otherwise because we aren't able to get quite the OL push at the C/OG for Dirks runs. If the center runs were a little more successful we would probably see less option.

We NEED to keep getting better on the OL. Wofford D is nasty. Big difference in Western and Wofford defense. Even when our O was killing last year we got shut down by Wofford in the playoff game. And that was with Scmidt and Bush on the OL and Blaze at QB.
 #4626  by fufanatic
 Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:08 am
Very impressed by Roberts and really bums me out knowing that an injury kept him from playing in those first two games. Don't think the Elon game would have been reversed if he was in, but I doubt we lose by 38. Going forward, Grainger could play in one more game and still redshirt. I wonder if they'll keep that game in their back pocket just in case a bunch of injuries occur late in the year. I'm assuming Lincoln is the backup, but I'm curious if there's talk about trying to get Sisson some work if the opportunity presents itself? Just to see what you have even if it's in mop-up duty.
Jasper liked this
 #4627  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:17 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Very impressed by Roberts and really bums me out knowing that an injury kept him from playing in those first two games. Don't think the Elon game would have been reversed if he was in, but I doubt we lose by 38. Going forward, Grainger could play in one more game and still redshirt. I wonder if they'll keep that game in their back pocket just in case a bunch of injuries occur late in the year. I'm assuming Lincoln is the backup, but I'm curious if there's talk about trying to get Sisson some work if the opportunity presents itself? Just to see what you have even if it's in mop-up duty.
CCH on his show still talks very highly of Grainger and the way he plays in practice saying he has earned the right to play. One more loss and we are pretty much done for any post-season action so it will be interesting to see who plays after that. Lincoln has already red-shirted. Grainger needs a lot of work. Do you play Grainger the rest of the season to try to prepare for next year? Play him one game and red-shirt? How about Sisson? He could play in the 4 of the 6 games left and still red-shirt. Of course if we run the table with HR all of this won't matter.
fufanatic, AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #4628  by cfbfan82
 Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:44 pm
Are any of those that taped the game, willing to make a copy?? I will buy a copy, if I can get it. Forgot to record it last weekend.

Thanks,
 #4629  by sluggo
 Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:29 pm
cfbfan82 wrote:
Are any of those that taped the game, willing to make a copy?? I will buy a copy, if I can get it. Forgot to record it last weekend.

Thanks,
Kim Dot Com probably has a copy he can sell you.
 #4630  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
CCH on his show still talks very highly of Grainger and the way he plays in practice saying he has earned the right to play. One more loss and we are pretty much done for any post-season action so it will be interesting to see who plays after that. Lincoln has already red-shirted. Grainger needs a lot of work. Do you play Grainger the rest of the season to try to prepare for next year? Play him one game and red-shirt? How about Sisson? He could play in the 4 of the 6 games left and still red-shirt. Of course if we run the table with HR all of this won't matter.
was thinking the same thing… one option is to go ahead and redshirt both Grainger and Sisson and move Vita up to Roberts backup. I've watched Vita a ton in practice he seems to know the offense.

I'll be curious to see how things develop. This season is it for Harris — in the next three weeks, I think we will know a lot more answers. We will have three quarterbacks that will be on the roster for the next three to four years.
 #4631  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:40 pm
AstroDin wrote:
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

was thinking the same thing… one option is to go ahead and redshirt both Grainger and Sisson and move Vita up to Roberts backup. I've watched Vita a ton in practice he seems to know the offense.

I'll be curious to see how things develop. This season is it for Harris — in the next three weeks, I think we will know a lot more answers. We will have three quarterbacks that will be on the roster for the next three to four years.
Good questions. If we lose two more games do you just start Grainger? - personally I would get him out there a good bit. I might still play him and Roberts both (Roberts put in so much time .. quite the loyal guy) but I would definitely get Grainger out there too! If we don't lose (I don't think this will happen but it could I guess) - then absolutely HR stays at QB all the way.

It's an interesting question if we lose a game or two more. At that point I redshirt everyone not named Roberts or Grainger. But I would go ahead and get Grainger on the field for 3 or 4 games worth... the tough thing is if we somehow won out until late November. Then no playoffs and you never got Grainger on the field bc we didn't know we were out of contention. But I could see the coaches leaving a redshirt on Grainger regardless. He definitely needs to work on throwing the ball in game situations
 #4637  by fufanatic
 Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:35 am
cfbfan82 wrote:

Thanks,
It's still available on ESPN+ for probably another month or so. For 5 bucks you could watch it if you don't already have a subscription. Not that I would ever do this because it's gotta be illegal, but you could then maybe screen record the entire game. Or reach out to the program and see if you can buy a copy from them.
 #4639  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:31 am
Watched the replay last night.

1) OL is so well-coached & so athletic. Not a surprise given the Head Man’s pedigree, but it’s just a joy to watch. Cole Neely is going to be another GREAT FU Center. So much improvement from his 1st Start the previous week and HE was actually matched up against a pretty good player. Jordan Harris is also playing great. He was putting DLmen on roller skates & covering up LB’s all day. I don’t think Kroeber had his best game, but he’s SOLID & I hold him to a higher standard. Better play from the OT’s this week too - loved seeing them out there Arc Blocking on Safeties, like TE’s, on the Options run weak. The competition level was not the same as has been & will be faced, but this was a very strong game for the FU OL. Just STAY UP (no belly-flops) on your cutoffs/scoop-to-cutoff blocks! (my only ‘complaint’)

2) Other Blocking - We are asking some skinny dudes to make some tough (and key) blocks on the inside - Wingbacks & TE’s on LB’s & occasionally DLmen. They’ll get better at it, but this is where most of the ‘breakdowns’ occurred on plays that went for little or no gain. Don’t think I’d change the scheme...just maybe be a bit more cognizant of who is in the game & what we’re asking them to do on each play, if possible. And get those boys a few cheeseburgers!!!

3) RB’s - good stuff. Every rep they get at reading those option blocks is money in the bank. Some nice cuts, good speed, and they run HARD! Saw a few blocking issues from them...not unusual with RB’s. Expect they will improve.

4) WR’s - seems all good in the route-running, ball catching, ball running dept. Worked hard to block DB’s downfield & did great on option blocking of the CB’s & Safeties. Not quite as successful blocking LB’s & when they were lined up tight.

5) QB - Won’t make us forget Ingle Martin, but did some VERY good things & FU can definitely win games with him at the helm.

D - great game for Perryman. Honestly, was not too high on 44 after watching Elon & ETSU, but I am a FAN now! Plays with passion & he will get better every game he plays. Hope’s “ball-get-off” is world-class - gonna run around/through a lot of 6’6” unathletic OT’s In FCS Football! Noticed that people don’t like to continue holding the Football when McCoy hits them. That’s quite a ‘marketable’ skill. Jaylan Reid was all over the field & the rest of the DL did more than just fine. DB’s had some BIG hits on people. They also were on the field to defend against the pass...maybe next week.

Great win! Fun to watch live & on the replay.
QCGlue, gofurman liked this
 #4643  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:24 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:31 am
Watched the replay last night.

1) OL is so well-coached & so athletic. Not a surprise given the Head Man’s pedigree, but it’s just a joy to watch. Cole Neely is going to be another GREAT FU Center. So much improvement from his 1st Start the previous week and HE was actually matched up against a pretty good player. Jordan Harris is also playing great. He was putting DLmen on roller skates & covering up LB’s all day. I don’t think Kroeber had his best game, but he’s SOLID & I hold him to a higher standard. Better play from the OT’s this week too - loved seeing them out there Arc Blocking on Safeties, like TE’s, on the Options run weak. The competition level was not the same as has been & will be faced, but this was a very strong game for the FU OL. Just STAY UP (no belly-flops) on your cutoffs/scoop-to-cutoff blocks! (my only ‘complaint’)

2) Other Blocking - We are asking some skinny dudes to make some tough (and key) blocks on the inside - Wingbacks & TE’s on LB’s & occasionally DLmen. They’ll get better at it, but this is where most of the ‘breakdowns’ occurred on plays that went for little or no gain. Don’t think I’d change the scheme...just maybe be a bit more cognizant of who is in the game & what we’re asking them to do on each play, if possible. And get those boys a few cheeseburgers!!!

3) RB’s - good stuff. Every rep they get at reading those option blocks is money in the bank. Some nice cuts, good speed, and they run HARD! Saw a few blocking issues from them...not unusual with RB’s. Expect they will improve.

4) WR’s - seems all good in the route-running, ball catching, ball running dept. Worked hard to block DB’s downfield & did great on option blocking of the CB’s & Safeties. Not quite as successful blocking LB’s & when they were lined up tight.

5) QB - Won’t make us forget Ingle Martin, but did some VERY good things & FU can definitely win games with him at the helm.

D - great game for Perryman. Honestly, was not too high on 44 after watching Elon & ETSU, but I am a FAN now! Plays with passion & he will get better every game he plays. Hope’s “ball-get-off” is world-class - gonna run around/through a lot of 6’6” unathletic OT’s In FCS Football! Noticed that people don’t like to continue holding the Football when McCoy hits them. That’s quite a ‘marketable’ skill. Jaylan Reid was all over the field & the rest of the DL did more than just fine. DB’s had some BIG hits on people. They also were on the field to defend against the pass...maybe next week.

Great win! Fun to watch live & on the replay.
always appreciate the insights - very much ! Thanks FUBeAR
 #4644  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:21 pm
AstroDin wrote:
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

It is fairly common for teams to redshirt the technical backup QB. If you need mop up duty in a blowout, you can go to the third or fourth string guy because the result is decided. If you need the QB2 for a longer period of time, you can pull the shirt and play them.

At this stage, though, having not seen Grainger against WCU, I'm inclined to think we may try to redshirt him. I mean, why not?

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.