• Western Carolina

#4442  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:29 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:19 pm
the total we have given up this season (3).
So they are having a down year this season with their Pass Rush at Sylva-Webster Middle School, huh?
wcugrad95 liked this
 #4444  by wcugrad95
 Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 pm
Sylva-Webster likes to play zone and they typically drop all their D-lineman into coverage. So we have been able to have offensive success against them. Now the 21 in 12 games last season (and 16 in the last 11 games of 2017) is a little better indicator. But you can continue to go back and find games or plays that best work to feed into the FUBeAR statistical extrapolation machine.

Of actual note for the game, WCU did lose starting O-lineman Grady Thomas last week. He played extensively as a Freshman in 2017, and had started the first 3 games this year. He went out of the VMI game with a dislocated kneecap (ouch). That puts Kaleb Spry back in at Center (where he started most if not every game in 2017), and Zach Weeks moving back to a position that he has always played previously.
tenNesseeCat liked this
 #4457  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:08 am
wcugrad95 wrote:
Sylva-Webster likes to play zone and they typically drop all their D-lineman into coverage. So we have been able to have offensive success against them. Now the 21 in 12 games last season (and 16 in the last 11 games of 2017) is a little better indicator. But you can continue to go back and find games or plays that best work to feed into the FUBeAR statistical extrapolation machine.

Of actual note for the game, WCU did lose starting O-lineman Grady Thomas last week. He played extensively as a Freshman in 2017, and had started the first 3 games this year. He went out of the VMI game with a dislocated kneecap (ouch). That puts Kaleb Spry back in at Center (where he started most if not every game in 2017), and Zach Weeks moving back to a position that he has always played previously.

Looking at last year's numbers, Furman had 4 TFLs and a sack against WCU. I think the sack was the one that knocked Tyrie Adams out of the game.

The depth chart does suggest we get Davonta Porter back and the defense looks full steam, which is good news. I imagine they will get creative in containing Adams, who is a much different sort of player than Herink was.
 #4459  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am
wcugrad95 wrote:

WCU95, Anyone else - starters - out for WCU? We appear mostly healthy on this side
 #4460  by tenNesseeCat
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:12 am
the O looks to be getting better and more "healthy " minus the OL injury discussed above. Luckily for us, we have some depth there. Holloway is working his way back in a RB. He's yet to be 100% this year. Everyone on the D is good to go, I believe. I haven't heard of any recent injuries anyway. Palao is a DL guy we are hoping to get back soon. He showed some promise last year, but has been out with a torn peck.

We also have a GOOD back up QB this year. So....don't expect a replay of last year, if Adams happens to go down at any point for any length of time. He (Jones) came in for a drive vs GW, I believe, when Adams had to get stitches. He took'em right down the field for a TD.
 #4481  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:41 pm
I consider most of the peeps on AGS the most knowledgeable folks around when it comes to FCS football. It's sad when many of them have FU 8 and 9 in the SoCon power rankings. Some have FU a little higher but it's hard to argue right now. Need to start the turnaround Saturday or it could be a dismal season..
 #4484  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:49 am
apaladin wrote:
I consider most of the peeps on AGS the most knowledgeable folks around when it comes to FCS football. It's sad when many of them have FU 8 and 9 in the SoCon power rankings. Some have FU a little higher but it's hard to argue right now. Need to start the turnaround Saturday or it could be a dismal season..

I ordinarily do not rank teams, but in my personal view, the SoCon is a mess right now.

Furman does not get a lot of “atta boys” for being 0-3 and not looking particularly good while getting there. Do I think we are a better football team than how we have played? Yes.

I get the feeling from many on this forum that they are living and dying with every snap, win, or loss. These are games. No, Furman hasn’t looked good. We got our hope up after a really impressive season last year (which, for a number of reasons, was a lot different than 2013). We are still a young squad with a largely second year coaching staff. There will be peaks and valleys.

I suggest patience. I’ve watched everyone in this league play, and I can tell you everyone (including Furman) is beatable. Hopefully, the team gets it together on Saturday, notches a conference win, and gets rolling like we did last year. There really are not any goals today that Furman cannot achieve. The season is still in front.
FUBeAR, Flagman, MNORM liked this
 #4485  by MNORM
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:18 am
apaladin wrote:
Last season we were winless after 3 games too. We looked crisper on offense and almost knocked off a solid Wofford team in week one.
I've been on the AGS for 13 years, a voter in the AGS poll, and agree that most are quite knowledgeable. Thing is, most folks still had us near the bottom in the SOCON power rankings when 0-3. Here's last year's thread. Some had us right above VMI and had Citadel #1. We all know how that played out. So....take these things with a grain of salt.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... r-rankings
 #4486  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:24 am
MNORM wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:18 am
apaladin wrote:
Last season we were winless after 3 games too. We looked crisper on offense and almost knocked off a solid Wofford team in week one.
I've been on the AGS for 13 years, a voter in the AGS poll, and agree that most are quite knowledgeable. Thing is, most folks still had us near the bottom in the SOCON power rankings when 0-3. Here's last year's thread. Some had us right above VMI and had Citadel #1. We all know how that played out. So....take these things with a grain of salt.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... r-rankings

Those polls vary wildly week to week.

In my view, if our OL gets a little better cohesion and we can start pushing some folks around up there, I think we will all feel much better. They are the keys to the kingdom right now.
MNORM liked this
 #4487  by Flagman
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:34 am
According to Clay, our starting OL for Western will be the same as last week. So, they have had a chance to play more together as a unit. I'm willing to give them some time.
AstroDin liked this
 #4490  by fufanatic
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:49 am
apaladin wrote:
I get the feeling from many on this forum that they are living and dying with every snap, win, or loss. These are games.
Isn't that kinda what sports and fandom is all about? Caring about your team and how they do? I mean why even get on this message board if you only kinda care about how the Paladins do every Saturday? I want Furman to win every single week and I'm passionate about it because it's my alma mater, I grew up going to games, and I think we do things more or less the right way on and off the field. Do I get as down when they lose as I did as a kid or in college? No. Do I let it affect my daily life. No. But am I invested every single week. Absolutely, and I see nothing wrong with that.
Jasper, FUBeAR, furman88 and 2 others liked this
 #4491  by furman88
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:45 pm
I have found as a new poster longtime Furman supporter since the 60's if you show any concern or criticism of anything you see the homers on this board will try to shame you. I gather if I can't say something good I should not post. I always will support Furman but watch what I say here.
bj93 liked this
 #4492  by wcugrad95
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm
As a poster on AGS, I can tell you that most of those "power ratings" have a significant amount of homerism in them - it is only natural. If you really read most of the comments, the bulk of people think most SoCon games are toss-ups outside of what Wofford and Chattanooga have shown so far. Next week's will look drastically different than this week's, which looked different from the previous week.

As for this game, I think both teams are still unknown at this stage - Furman because you haven't played well yet, and WCU because we are squeaking out wins against the easy part of our schedule. What matters for most of the teams is the next 6 or 7 weeks and how we do in the conference. You guys know it is a lot better being towards the top of those ratings at the end than at the beginning!
MNORM liked this
 #4493  by MNORM
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:06 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm
As a poster on AGS, I can tell you that most of those "power ratings" have a significant amount of homerism in them - it is only natural. If you really read most of the comments, the bulk of people think most SoCon games are toss-ups outside of what Wofford and Chattanooga have shown so far. Next week's will look drastically different than this week's, which looked different from the previous week.

As for this game, I think both teams are still unknown at this stage - Furman because you haven't played well yet, and WCU because we are squeaking out wins against the easy part of our schedule. What matters for most of the teams is the next 6 or 7 weeks and how we do in the conference. You guys know it is a lot better being towards the top of those ratings at the end than at the beginning!
Which is why I'm not posting in the SOCON power threads. As an AGS poll voter I think it's not appropriate.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.