#61796  by JohnKX512
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:20 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:05 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:07 am
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:24 am
Does the Athletic Department provide financial support to The Furman Marching Band and Pep Band in return for their participation at Football and Basketball games? What is the best way for us to show our support for the student musicians who devote their time & talents to enhancing the Game Day experience?
I heard they have to buy tickets.
It has been a bit (10 years+), but here is what I recall on the band's involvement:

Football: The school and the music department have music scholarships they provide to students to attend Furman. Generally if you play a wind or percussion instrument, the scholarship mandates that you participate in marching band. The students get a free drink or snack from the athletic department during the homes games. The athletic department also pays for the band to go to the one FBS away game every year if it is drivable in a day (Clemson, South Carolina, Tennessee, etc.) I believe there usually isn't enough money to pay for overnight lodging or go to a 2nd away game.

Basketball: The band is limited per NCAA rules to 30 people. The school pays each student $10 per home game (usually 16 games between men and women). The NCAA covers the entire cost of transporting, housing, and feeding the band, team, and cheerleaders for the SoCon tournament and NCAA/NIT tournament if the team makes it.

A lot may have changed in 10 years, but this is how I recall the band finances were managed.
PaladinFan coming in hot with info. This is great to know. We always question this.

From my point of view, the band is on scholarship and their main goal is to graduate with their credits. Great performers with talent that we somewhat take advantage of in athletics.

But, from my music friends I had at FU, performing at games is a good respite and opportunity to have fun. I am extremely proud of our music department and the talent we have. No one is coming here to be in a loud obnoxious marching band (ie Clemson and SEC); however, we have talented music major students/fans that can make noise with instruments in the most harmonious way.

Their priorities are music and education. As the teams progress, we will need them more than ever.
FU69, DoomedDin1127, QCGlue liked this
 #61797  by Davemeister
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:09 pm
Thanks, paladinfan & John, for your great answers.
 #61805  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:49 pm
So they are on scholarship and getting something big out of the deal, good to know and what I figured.

Thus they should be at all football and basketball games of course.

The University must be provided return on that scholarship investment to the music department just as they do with the athletics programs to deem worthy, and they do provide it in an important way with the marching band and pep band.
 #61812  by Louis Tully
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:35 pm
I’ve always enjoyed the Furman band. They were almost always at the Auditorium back in the 70’s .
FU Hoopla, QCGlue liked this
 #61815  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:43 pm
Do note that this above is only for those already on music scholarships. My roommate was in marching band (football) and went to home and away games - he had no scholarship. He just took music courses and volunteered to help. Not everyone out there is getting financial aid by any means. I think he got in games free and travel etc. But certainly no scholarship.
Davemeister liked this
 #61831  by Davemeister
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:06 am
gofurman wrote:
Do note that this above is only for those already on music scholarships. My roommate was in marching band (football) and went to home and away games - he had no scholarship. He just took music courses and volunteered to help. Not everyone out there is getting financial aid by any means. I think he got in games free and travel etc. But certainly no scholarship.
I never received a dime for performing at the games. If anyone had told me I was "required" to do so I would have given them the Middle Finger.
 #61833  by Affirm
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:21 am
Ask the AD what he envisions, along with CCH, for future OOC football regular season scheduling. Maybe that has already been addressed recently in “Ask the AD”.
Also ask for thoughts related to possible SoCon expansion, such as possibly pulling in 1, 2, 3, or more, from CAA.
 #61834  by Flagman
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:23 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:21 am
Ask the AD what he envisions, along with CCH, for future OOC football regular season scheduling. Maybe that has already been addressed recently in “Ask the AD”.
Also ask for thoughts related to possible SoCon expansion, such as possibly pulling in 1, 2, 3, or more, from CAA.
Elon certainly doesn’t want to come back.
MNORM liked this
 #61835  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:04 am
Davemeister wrote:
gofurman wrote:
I never received a dime for performing at the games. If anyone had told me I was "required" to do so I would have given them the Middle Finger.

That's more than fair for someone to feel that way
Honest question, may I ask what other music functions the band members do that would be considered more important than preforming for the crowds at the football and basketball games?
 #62020  by Davemeister
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:00 am
Previously scheduled commitments.
 #62026  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:14 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:04 am
Davemeister wrote:
gofurman wrote:

That's more than fair for someone to feel that way
Honest question, may I ask what other music functions the band members do that would be considered more important than preforming for the crowds at the football and basketball games?
There are none.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #62027  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:16 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:00 am
Previously scheduled commitments.
:?: :?: :?: :?:

Like performing for band member parents? Anything else?
 #62028  by Davemeister
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:20 am
If that is the case, then the Athletic Dept. should have paid for the Band to accompany the Football Team to San Antonio. Right?
 #62031  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:27 am
Pep Band has attended 1 home basketball game out of 4 all season, that's pretty disappointing
Davemeister liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.