• Elon

#60860  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:44 pm
Couple of observations.

They didn't exactly light up Wofford. 12- 0 at the half with two field goals. That was still Conklin days too. Reminder, Elon was the only team Wofford beat last season.

Field goal kicker looks pretty good. But he hasn't kicked against our machine yet. I enjoy knowing that Elon is going to have to spend practice time this week specifically planning for the fact that Furman is freakishly good at blocking kicks.

Noon start time. So, basically we're on the same schedule we were on against Wofford. Elon's the one coming off a bye week and on the road, so that'll be more of an adjustment for them.

Their offense looks big - 5 300lbers on the line, 6'4 QB, 6'5 TE, 6'+ receivers, 203 lbs running back. Good news for Furman is we just faced a team with a lot of big bodies on offense.
 #60862  by gman84
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:46 pm
It’s been a while, 2005, we were able to use our passes for the playoffs back then. They were not single game passes as they are this year. I’m sure we will get an email regarding parking passes.
 #60864  by dornb
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:35 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:34 pm
Tickets purchased. Any ideas about parking passes?
I have purchased mine too and I have emailed Dwight to ask about parking passes. I kept my pass from
yesterday and I asked him if I could use it next Saturday. I hope he will put something out for everyone about this and about whether they will have a Fan Zone set up.
 #60871  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:48 pm
Both teams hot.

Both teams well-balanced.

Will be a real test to see how we fair against a CAA opponent.
 #60873  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:13 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Both teams hot.

There are quite a few similarities.

Offensively, both teams are run heavy spread offenses. Both teams do a good job at stopping the run.

The Phoenix average around 40 carries a game for around 170 yards per contest. The QB is a capable runner, with close to 500 yards to his ledger.

One difference is in personnel. Elon primarily rides one running back - Jalen Hampton - who has 221 carries on the season. Furman is much more apt to spread the ball around and rotate their RBs.

Notably, Furman has gone four straight games without letting a team eclipse 100 rushing yards. Three of the last four teams haven't even broken 50 against our defense. That will be an area to watch.

Seems like it may come down to which team can maintain balance.

They probably throw it a bit better. We probably run it a bit better.
 #60878  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:59 pm
Elon moved from NAIA to FCS IAA in 1999.

3 playoff appearances:

2009 lost at Richmond 16-13

2017 lost to Furman 28-27

2018 lost at Wofford 19-7

They seem to be a really really solid team this year. Hopefully we can make them 0-4 in FCS playoffs.It should be a good game.
dornb liked this
 #60881  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:15 am
The Jackal wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
Both teams hot.

Offensively, both teams are run heavy spread offenses. Both teams do a good job at stopping the run.

The Phoenix average around 40 carries a game for around 170 yards per contest. The QB is a capable runner, with close to 500 yards to his ledger.

One difference is in personnel. Elon primarily rides one running back - Jalen Hampton - who has 221 carries on the season. Furman is much more apt to spread the ball around and rotate their RBs.

Notably, Furman has gone four straight games without letting a team eclipse 100 rushing yards. Three of the last four teams haven't even broken 50 against our defense. That will be an area to watch.

I like - that they ride one back (a 5'9 190 type guy) because if its a run play you almost know who is going to get it 75% of the time or more. As we said about 4th and 1 being tough, when you line up one RB and everyone knows hes getting it I feel better about our D.

I don't like- that their QB appears to get decent yardage running. yeah, we stopped Woff but they ain't the same level. WCU KILLED us with this over and over. Hopefully we learned our lesson and if we don't spy (that does eliminate a defender) we at least contain well. Please correct me if I am wrong on the QB running (just cursory glanc but appears Jackal backs it up)
 #60882  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:33 am
Paul C wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:13 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:42 pm
Uh -oh; made a post on ‘Guess the Elon score’ thread and I thought I was posting here. Elon played 5 teams this season that earned selections in the FCS Playoffs. Won 4 of them, including a win over #5 seed William & Mary.
Look at the turnovers in those games. Massive advantage to Elon. We take care of the ball Sat, we win.
Well, true but some teams - Furman this year! - create turnovers with speed length etc. It's not a random occurrence.
 #60884  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:40 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:15 am
The Jackal wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
Both teams hot.

I like - that they ride one back (a 5'9 190 type guy) because if its a run play you almost know who is going to get it 75% of the time or more. As we said about 4th and 1 being tough, when you line up one RB and everyone knows hes getting it I feel better about our D.

I don't like- that their QB appears to get decent yardage running. yeah, we stopped Woff but they ain't the same level. WCU KILLED us with this over and over. Hopefully we learned our lesson and if we don't spy (that does eliminate a defender) we at least contain well. Please correct me if I am wrong on the QB running (just cursory glanc but appears Jackal backs it up)

Their back is listed at 5'10 203. So, he's a pretty stout runner.

He does not appear to be much of a factor in their passing game. He has 5 receptions and none since the third game of the season.

They certainly seem to use their QB as a second runner. Where Furman will use Huff as a designed runner, Elon seems to use McKay as more of a zone read guy. He strikes me as more of a shifty move around in the pocket type than a guy always looking to bring the ball down and run.

The more I watch, the more they strike me as schematically a bit like Western Carolina, but with a better run game though not quite as explosive in the passing game - they want to spread you out, lighten the box for their running back, and will take a bunch of shots passing.
 #60896  by purplehorse
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:29 am
I know every team does not want their starting QB injured but oh my goodness. We are toast if Tyler Huff goes down.
 #60897  by MNORM
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:35 am
dornb wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
I have purchased mine too and I have emailed Dwight to ask about parking passes. I kept my pass from
yesterday and I asked him if I could use it next Saturday. I hope he will put something out for everyone about this and about whether they will have a Fan Zone set up.
Same here. Bought and printed my tickets but nothing in the emails referencing parking for Paladin Club members.
Guess worst case we simply pay $10 and move on.
 #60906  by Davemeister
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:52 am
MNORM wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:35 am
dornb wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Same here. Bought and printed my tickets but nothing in the emails referencing parking for Paladin Club members.
Guess worst case we simply pay $10 and move on.

I've never had anyone at the Stadium scrutinize my Parking Pass. I am confident one from the Wofford game or any other game will do.
 #60907  by Mocs123
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:02 am
Congrats to the Paladins in making the playoffs and us Moc fans are pulling for you in the playoffs.
gman84, Paladin82, FUwolfpacker and 6 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.