• Jace Redshirting

#58344  by AstroDin
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:06 am
Sadly, it's 2022!
If you don't like you're playing time - you enter the protal.

From what I heard, Jace informed the coaches on the Friday before the Citadel game that he wasn't going to play and he was deciding to redshirt himself. I like Jace, I've heard him a very respectful student.

The coaches had no role in this. And my guess and somewhat alluded to on the coaches show by Clay. They (the coaches) have moved on.
 #58346  by saltyshaker
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:59 am
re rdshirt rules, i am presuming that if your team makes the playoffs any participation in a playoff game counts for the 4 game limitation in order to qualify for a redshirt.
 #58348  by Afurmanfan
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:34 pm
The “team didn’t quit on Jace”. The team played the player whom they believed gave them the best chance to win.
One of the few meritocracies left in our country.
 #58357  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:43 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:06 am
Sadly, it's 2022!
If you don't like you're playing time - you enter the protal.

From what I heard, Jace informed the coaches on the Friday before the Citadel game that he wasn't going to play and he was deciding to redshirt himself. I like Jace, I've heard him a very respectful student.

The coaches had no role in this. And my guess and somewhat alluded to on the coaches show by Clay. They (the coaches) have moved on.
That's the world we're living in now.

It sounds like the coaches feel good about Carson Jones. Personally, I don't like being back down to two scholarship QBs (especially with Huff's physical running style), but I'd love to see Huff be the starter next season being backed up by a redshirt Freshman who will then take over the reigns as a Redshirt sophomore.
 #58358  by tim
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:48 pm
"Coach, I'm red shirting myself". I would have dreaded that conversation...... in the past anyway. The times, they are a'changin.
 #58363  by AstroDin
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:45 pm
gman84 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:12 am
Astro, what's a protal? :D
I think I meant prostrate, no portal!!! ha!
 #58364  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:12 pm
tim wrote:
"Coach, I'm red shirting myself". I would have dreaded that conversation...... in the past anyway. The times, they are a'changin.
Let FUBeAR role play that conversation with Coach Sheridan …

#58365  by Furmanoid
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:54 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:50 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:22 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:53 am
I'm pretty sure the situation is exactly as the coaches have stated. Jace could see he was right on the line of being able to preserve a year since Huff was QB1 and that made the most sense. The coaches honored that. The coaches have seen what they wanted to out of Jones to know he could let it rip in a game if needed. CCH has also stated many times that Huff hasn't played in a lot of games in his career which also lends to not coming out unless the game is way out of hand or injured. I would bet if Huff had a season ending injury that Jace would re-consider as long as they were still SoCon contenders. As of now, it let's Jones prepare like he's going to play and grow as a result. Let's hope Huff stays healthy, Jones gets some snaps in a few remaining games and still gets to redshirt. I can't think of a better outcome.
See I’m hoping there is more to it. If you are in the hunt for a championship and playoff birth you have your best guys on the field or ready to be on the field in about 2 seconds. There is no pretzel logic you can come up with that justifies this move. If Huff gets knocked out against WCU, we lose. How would that “make the most sense”? Why risk this year worrying about who plays qb a couple of years down the road?
You don't know we would lose nor do I if Huff had gotten knocked out. However, I'm sure the coaches had a game plan if that scenario unfolded. Roberto was not lacking room to run. You are stirring the pot.
Look man, what we were reading made it sound like he went to the coaches and said “I’m quitting for the rest of the season but I’ll play for you in some future season.” And then our coaches said “Sure! That’s a great decision for all of us!” If that had been the case we would need new coaches asap.

But pot stirring has led to our concluding that this is not what happened. Instead it appears that he has red shirted himself so he will have more years to play for whatever DII picks him up. That is a crappy, crappy thing to do. I’ve heard of it with a DI SEC player on a team going nowhere. In that case maybe somebody has a very remote chance at the CFL or something if he can play elsewhere. In this case a guy is bailing on a team that is in the hunt so he can trade one dead end for another. There is no future career involved so wtf? I guess the coaches are trying to downplay the weakness of this behavior but I can’t imagine why. The portal is ok with me. But quitting in the middle of a possible playoff season is as crappy as it gets in sports. This is the first time I’ve heard of it happening, and I wish somebody had the fortitude to call it out for what it is.
 #58367  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:49 pm
Pretty sure we're over the line at this point on what's allowed as it relates to discussing an individual player.
 #58368  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:53 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:12 pm
tim wrote:
Let FUBeAR role play that conversation with Coach Sheridan …

Lol. I BET!!! Different times. And sometimes I don’t like all this ‘progress’

Joke of the day (dad joke). If ‘PRO is opposite of. ‘CON. What’s the opposite of PROgress? Hmm
 #58369  by Furmanoid
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Pretty sure we're over the line at this point on what's allowed as it relates to discussing an individual player.
Not a player. We are talking about a former player engaging in behavior that should not be normalized.
 #58370  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:35 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Not a player. We are talking about a former player engaging in behavior that should not be normalized.
Still on the online roster, so still a Furman Player unless you know otherwise…and we’re all 8 days late & $54 short if we are seeking to un-normalize what is common QB behavior in the world of College Football today…

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021/1 ... rent-vigen

Montana State’s McKay enters Transfer Portal before Playoff Opener
Not even 48 hours before Montana State’s second round playoff game, Bobcats quarterback Matthew McKay announced he is entering the transfer portal.

….now E*Loan’s starting QB…which seems fitting.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #58372  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:03 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
This is the first time I’ve heard of it happening, and I wish somebody had the fortitude to call it out for what it is.
Might be the first time you’ve heard of it happening but I can assure you it’s not the first time it’s happened. If you look at the portal the last few years, numerous people have left their teams midseason. Heck if you look at the rivals transfer portal, a slew have entered it in just the last couple of days. Like or not, this is where we are. You can call it out as you see fit. This is a message board and talking about it is fine. The only real rule that has ever existed here though is that we don’t take shots at players especially if they’re still on the roster. Not saying that’s what you did btw. Just a reminder for everyone. Not saying anyone has to like that either but it’s been THE rule since I joined as a sophomore at Furman back in 2003 (that makes me feel old).

Might be the first time it’s happened this way to Furman which does kind of stink but we’ve avoided it better than others as far as I can tell. It’s really hard to build QB depth now, even on the FBS level. We’ve had an especially hard time with it recently though.
 #58374  by Bootie
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:28 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Look man, what we were reading made it sound like he went to the coaches and said “I’m quitting for the rest of the season but I’ll play for you in some future season.” And then our coaches said “Sure! That’s a great decision for all of us!” If that had been the case we would need new coaches asap…
Can you post a link or reference to the article you are referring to? I’m curious to read it but haven’t been able to find a link in this thread or any other.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.