• VMI - 10/22

#58288  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:42 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:16 pm
bj93 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:25 pm
Sounds like Jace preparing to enter the portal.
I spoke with the parent of a young man who is local to the Greenville area and was a Shrine Bowl defensive player. He currently attends an ACC University and is graduating in May. He will have two years of eligiblity left. Parent indicated he wants to come home and is entering the portal with eyes on Furman and the gamecocks.
Master of Arts in Strategic Design, baby!
gman84 liked this
 #58291  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:49 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
bj93 wrote:
I spoke with the parent of a young man who is local to the Greenville area and was a Shrine Bowl defensive player. He currently attends an ACC University and is graduating in May. He will have two years of eligiblity left. Parent indicated he wants to come home and is entering the portal with eyes on Furman and the gamecocks.
The more successful we finish this year the more attractive we'll be in the portal.
dornb, gofurman liked this
 #58305  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:31 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:
bj93 wrote:
The more successful we finish this year the more attractive we'll be in the portal.
Grad transfers are really helping us. Huff. Gissinger. JMU recvr Kendal Dean. The OL Vollmer from ODU is supposed to be good just injured and hopefully next year. I know I forgot some . Heck, Huff alone makes a big difference!! We need this pipeline in this day and age
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #58308  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:38 am
FU3 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:31 pm
Hope not but that would make the most sense given the timing. I am not sure the grass will be any greener if this is the case.
Yeppers, I would say highly likely. Huff has another year and CJ will have 4.
 #58310  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:43 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:33 pm
Here are a few thoughts after listening to the coach's show today…

Jace Wilson has decided to redshirt. He announced that to the coaches before The Citadel game.
Carson Jones is now Furman's number 2 the rest of the way this season.

Here's what I heard CCH say about the 4th quarter's defensive performance.

Lapse in execution, could they have made some better calls to counter what Western was doing—yes.
There was a comment about the defense acting like Western was more talented than they were. The defense set back on its heels - was disappointed Furman got zero pressure on the Western QBs.
The Western we saw and the way they called the game was not the same time that played the week before.
He also commented on giving up the big play and that it was fixable. So the question is when? Been doing it all year and we’re coming up on game 8 so maybe it’s not fixable?
 #58312  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:02 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:43 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:33 pm
Here are a few thoughts after listening to the coach's show today…

Jace Wilson has decided to redshirt. He announced that to the coaches before The Citadel game.
Carson Jones is now Furman's number 2 the rest of the way this season.

Here's what I heard CCH say about the 4th quarter's defensive performance.

Lapse in execution, could they have made some better calls to counter what Western was doing—yes.
There was a comment about the defense acting like Western was more talented than they were. The defense set back on its heels - was disappointed Furman got zero pressure on the Western QBs.
The Western we saw and the way they called the game was not the same time that played the week before.
He also commented on giving up the big play and that it was fixable. So the question is when? Been doing it all year and we’re coming up on game 8 so maybe it’s not fixable?
That’s called coaching. We need to be ready for it. We need to adapt and not assume any team will play the same as they did the week before.
apaladin liked this
 #58314  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:30 am
Just throwing this out there but we were eliminated from the SoCon race this same weekend last year when we failed to finish vs. ETSU. Hoping we can at least keep hope alive one more week. 👍
dornb liked this
 #58316  by tim
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:57 am
gofurman wrote:
AllTimeFU wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:
bj93 wrote:
Grad transfers are really helping us. Huff. Gissinger. JMU recvr Kendal Dean. The OL Vollmer from ODU is supposed to be good just injured and hopefully next year. I know I forgot some . Heck, Huff alone makes a big difference!! We need this pipeline in this day and age
I'm thinking that is the best way to get a qb for sure, rather than trying to develop one. They have you over such a barrell.
 #58320  by AstroDin
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:35 am
Y'all are forgetting Adebayo. He's another transfer also in the two-year grad program.

Clay has already mentioned (after the Samford loss) Furman will not play the rent-a-player for a year game.
The MASD program is a two-year program—Sochovoka can come back next season and play a 6th year.

I'm sure the football program's success is a factor for a player transferring into the program. But in Furman's case, and if you consider the type of student Furman recruits. The grad program's value is going to be a very high consideration.

A program like Furman's MASD—they don't just grow on trees. You have to look towards schools like Parsons, Rhode Island (RISDI), Institute of Chicago, Pratt, Stanford, Carnegie, and Columbia… with an average cost of well over 50K per year. And if you also want to play football, your choices are very limited.
gman84, MNORM liked this
 #58321  by AstroDin
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:43 am
One other injury note or more of a curious question.

Vollmer (OG-6-5, 306) was on the sidelines during the WCU game without a boot. Could we see Vollmer later in the season (Mercer, Wofford)? I've been told Vollmer will play next season. If he's healed, could we see him get some snaps?
 #58323  by gman84
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:56 am
tim wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:57 am
gofurman wrote:
AllTimeFU wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:
bj93 wrote:
I'm thinking that is the best way to get a qb for sure, rather than trying to develop one. They have you over such a barrell.
Going forward your statement is a valid one. Furman has never been in the business of "renting" players. However, to keep us competitive we can take advantage of our new grad program. Like it or not it's 2022 and that is how the game is played.
 #58325  by tim
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:10 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:34 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:36 pm
Anyone know who is the QB this week there?
Kelly Raber, maybe?
Hope we dont see that kind of a dual threat or an Allen at TB.
 #58329  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:51 am
tim wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:10 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:34 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:36 pm
Anyone know who is the QB this week there?
Kelly Raber, maybe?
Hope we dont see that kind of a dual threat or an Allen at TB.
No worries…

If Raber shows up, FUBeAR knows where to find John “Pinky” Zemina, a back-up (seldom-used) CB, who picked Raber once to clinch a de facto SoCon Championship game in LexVegas and intercepted him 3 times the next year in Paladin Stadium, setting an FU record, which FUBeAR believes he still holds, perhaps tied by others. Maybe he shoulda played more, huh?

And, if their once-great Keydet RB, Floyd Allen, takes the field, FUBeAR has that covered. He was FUBeAR’s HS Teammate. FUBeAR knows where the bodies are buried and the statute of limitations has now expired for FUBeAR’s role as an Accessory.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
gman84, tim liked this
 #58331  by AllTimeFU
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:55 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:30 am
Just throwing this out there but we were eliminated from the SoCon race this same weekend last year when we failed to finish vs. ETSU. Hoping we can at least keep hope alive one more week. 👍
Good historical note. Let's change the course! Take care of business and move to running on 8 cylinders!!
apaladin liked this
 #58353  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:53 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:35 am
Y'all are forgetting Adebayo. He's another transfer also in the two-year grad program.

Clay has already mentioned (after the Samford loss) Furman will not play the rent-a-player for a year game.
The MASD program is a two-year program—Sochovoka can come back next season and play a 6th year.

I'm sure the football program's success is a factor for a player transferring into the program. But in Furman's case, and if you consider the type of student Furman recruits. The grad program's value is going to be a very high consideration.

A program like Furman's MASD—they don't just grow on trees. You have to look towards schools like Parsons, Rhode Island (RISDI), Institute of Chicago, Pratt, Stanford, Carnegie, and Columbia… with an average cost of well over 50K per year. And if you also want to play football, your choices are very limited.
Thanks. I couldn’t recall Adebayo name. Knew he was helping.

Yeah. I agree. Not pushing the rent-a-guy MO. just noting how much this grad program is helping us! Let’s add more Grad programs !