#57772  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:50 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:29 pm
The only way to get to 8 wins is to run the table. Remember NG doesn’t count if you are talking 8 wins that would be considered for the playoffs. I am afraid the Sammy game will come back to haunt us as a should’ve, woukd’ve coukd’ve game.
There was a 6-5 team that made the playoffs last season.
Furman will not make the Playoffs at 6-5 in 2022.

Why you wanna lie to the people?
Slight correction, No SoCon team will ever make the playoffs at 6-5.
 #57773  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:21 pm
It's not likely.

My point is that Furman having to win out to make the playoffs isn't the criteria. Per the NCAA website:
For information on selecting, seeding, and bracketing teams, the committee may consider comparative data of individual teams, including but not limited to:

Overall record
Record against Division I opponents (an institution with fewer than six Division I wins may place that team in jeopardy of not being selected)
Record against opponents from other AQ conferences
Record against Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) opponents
Head-to-head record
Record against common opponents
NCAA Simple Rating System (NCAA SRS) Data
FCS Coaches Poll
Input from regional advisory committees
 #57775  by soconjohn
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:48 pm
Furman can go 1-1 vs. Chattanooga and Mercer and need wins in all the rest...Hope that helps.
Davemeister liked this
 #57776  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:26 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:20 am
I don't want to count our chickens before they hatch… but I like the rest of the schedule for Furman.
Granted, Furman can't stub a toe and needs to take care of business against Western and VMI.

Mercer plays at Chatty the week before the Mocs come to GVegas. Then Furman has a timely bye week before playing at Mercer. (in an oddity, Mercer has the same bye-week).

Mercer has to get through ETSU at home and Chatty and VMI on the road.

The DINS have not played exceptionally well against Mercer - it always seems like they have the mental edge in this matchup. It's time to change that!
Right on Astro. Interesting to me that some teams 'have some teams number' ,, Mercer has had ours at times. I know we have only played them twice (?) with Cronic but he has beaten us - and embarrasing no TD one at 24-3 - Both times.

COACHES MATTER. THere was a former coach there who we whooped up on and kneeled the ball to not score again. Then Cronic shows up - great hire! - and we are now 0-2 vs him (I THINK it is 0-2). Mercer will be on the road which makes it tougher, esp if they are jacked for the conference title.

We will know more with each week. Right now the only opponent in common is Citadel.. relatively similar stuff. I was impressed with Mercer over G Webb. G Webb had been playing good ball and Mercer CRUSHED them by 31 or so. Another thing - to FUBEAR point - strong teams don't let weak teams hang around. He said this in putting down Sammy. Well, if he is gonna say that, we must note Furman let CSU hang around. We were lucky - what with our penchant for tunovers :shock: - to win at all. Mercer, on the other hand, is KILLING "easy" opponents.

Mercer over Woff - 42 to 7
Mercer over WCU - 49 - 6
Impressive

As FUBEAR said, strong teams dispatch of weaklings. Furman hasn't really shown me that in our one game vs a middlin' CSU.

We will know more after we play Western Carolina.
 #57777  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:30 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:48 pm
Furman can go 1-1 vs. Chattanooga and Mercer and need wins in all the rest...Hope that helps.
SoCon John... This is my hope - win em all vs Western and VMI and Woff. We will be favored in those for whatever that is worth.. And split Chatt and Mercer. I think Chatt is an easier out and it is in Greenville if nothing else...

HAVE to win this week. HAVE to
 #57787  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:40 am
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
I don't want to count our chickens before they hatch… but I like the rest of the schedule for Furman.
Granted, Furman can't stub a toe and needs to take care of business against Western and VMI.

Mercer plays at Chatty the week before the Mocs come to GVegas. Then Furman has a timely bye week before playing at Mercer. (in an oddity, Mercer has the same bye-week).

The DINS have not played exceptionally well against Mercer - it always seems like they have the mental edge in this matchup. It's time to change that!
Right on Astro. Interesting to me that some teams 'have some teams number' ,, Mercer has had ours at times. I know we have only played them twice (?) with Cronic but he has beaten us - and embarrasing no TD one at 24-3 - Both times.

COACHES MATTER. THere was a former coach there who we whooped up on and kneeled the ball to not score again. Then Cronic shows up - great hire! - and we are now 0-2 vs him (I THINK it is 0-2). Mercer will be on the road which makes it tougher, esp if they are jacked for the conference title.

We will know more with each week. Right now the only opponent in common is Citadel.. relatively similar stuff. I was impressed with Mercer over G Webb. G Webb had been playing good ball and Mercer CRUSHED them by 31 or so. Another thing - to FUBEAR point - strong teams don't let weak teams hang around. He said this in putting down Sammy. Well, if he is gonna say that, we must note Furman let CSU hang around. We were lucky - what with our penchant for tunovers :shock: - to win at all. Mercer, on the other hand, is KILLING "easy" opponents.

Mercer over WCU - 49 - 6
Impressive

As FUBEAR said, strong teams dispatch of weaklings. Furman hasn't really shown me that in our one game vs a middlin' CSU.

This really isn't hard to look up.

Cronic is 1-1 against Furman.
 #57790  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:08 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:40 am
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

Mercer over WCU - 49 - 6
Impressive

This really isn't hard to look up.

Cronic is 1-1 against Furman.
This really isn't hard to look up...and report accurately…

Cronic is 2-0 against Furman.

MER -VS- FURMAN
Team 1 2 3 4 F
MER 7 14 3 0 24
FUR 3 0 0 0 3
DATE: 9/25/2021 SITE: Greenville, S.C.

# 17 FURMAN -VS- MERCER
Team 1 2 3 4 F
FUR 7 0 7 0 14
MER 7 0 6 13 26
DATE: 4/2/2021 SITE: Macon, Ga.
Davemeister liked this
 #57796  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:48 am
I'm making a speculative statement here…

I think this matchup will get more heated as long as Chronic stays at Mercer.
I'll explain.

I heard this from a person not connected with the athletic program.
Last season a player committed very early to Furman. I'm pretty sure it was before the season started.
That player went on to have a helluva senior season.
Most schools saw his commitment as solid and stayed away except for one head coach.
Social media posts appear to back up the late offer.
I know this stuff happens; recruiting is like going to war.
But, it can cause some bad blood, just sayin'!

My point is that Mercer… is not a friendly opponent for Furman.
The more successful they are, the more recruiting battles we will have and could potentially lose to the Bears.
Sorry, FuBear.
 #57798  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:48 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:48 am
I'm making a speculative statement here…

I think this matchup will get more heated as long as Chronic stays at Mercer.
I'll explain.

I heard this from a person not connected with the athletic program.
Last season a player committed very early to Furman. I'm pretty sure it was before the season started.
That player went on to have a helluva senior season.
Most schools saw his commitment as solid and stayed away except for one head coach.
Social media posts appear to back up the late offer.

I know this stuff happens; recruiting is like going to war.
But, it can cause some bad blood, just sayin'!

My point is that Mercer… is not a friendly opponent for Furman.
The more successful they are, the more recruiting battles we will have and could potentially lose to the Bears.
Sorry, FuBear.
So, we’re going to pretend there is ‘honor’ in Recruiting now? Now…in the time of the Transfer Portal?

Honor & Loyalty in college football are just meaningless words on the backs of bellhops’ jerseys these days.
 #57806  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:33 am
^^ Just sayin' this isn't a family affair between programs.
 #57807  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:35 am
They’re Frenemys…as they should be.
AstroDin liked this
 #57808  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:57 am
Can we get a gift from ETSU this weekend playing at Mercer. We are all Bucs fans this week!
 #57810  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:20 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Can we get a gift from ETSU this weekend playing at Mercer. We are all Bucs fans this week!

I know ETSU has been forgotten about, but I still think they are a really good football team.

They lost to the Citadel on the road early in a game where they lead most of the stat sheet, just let the Citadel maintain too much possession late in the game. Not often is Saylors going to rush for 187 and the Bucs lose.

ETSU lead UTC 13-0 at half time and lead 13-3 in the 4th quarter, but fell apart late against the Mocs.

ETSU is still a plenty dangerous team and is going to pick off some teams down the stretch run. They can do us some real solid favors the next two weeks going back to back with Mercer then Samford. It wouldn't shock me to see them knock off one of those two.
 #57813  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:30 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Don’t see it that way…

FU fans want Samford to lose to ETSU, Citadel, and/or (possibly…depending on the outcomes of FU @ VMI and other games) VMI. And, possibly, to Mercer in the final game of the season, depending on a lot of things…getting Samford 2 SoCon losses keeps FU alive for the AQ and the SoCon Championship.

FU fans want Mercer and Chatt to keep winning and improving their rankings in the polls…until they play FU. Both could be Top 10…even Top 5 when they face FU. If FU drops one of those games (to Mercer or UTC) and finishes 8-3 (7-2 in FCS - a 1/2 game better than ‘last 4 out’ Mercer last year)…and doesn’t get the SoCon AQ, having a win over a Top 10 (or Top 5) and a ‘good’ loss to another Top 10, that’ll sure help with getting an At-Large bid.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.