• Scouting Citadel

#57469  by FU3
 Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:33 am
I think the new rule on cut blocking is having a major effect on option teams. I am not sure this is a sustainable O scheme with this rule.
 #57474  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:27 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:41 am
When I've watched the Citadel this year a little bit, they didn't seem to be attacking the edge as much. Our corners are playing physical this season. I was impressed with the play of our corners fighting through blocks and traffic in the Samford game. Micah Robinson especially.

Hendrix mentioned Spangler's experience against the option, as well as Kevin Lewis. Curious to see how we attack the Citadel offense this week.
Do whatever ASU and Mercer did. Citadel has not scored their last 2 games. Scored 30 points in 4 games. How long will it take them to score Saturday?
 #57484  by Davemeister
 Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:26 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Curious to see how we attack the Citadel offense this week.

Yes, I hope we do attack their offense rather than sit back and watch plays develop. Best place to stop the option is in the backfield.
gman84, AstroDin liked this
 #57494  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:16 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:26 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Curious to see how we attack the Citadel offense this week.

Yes, I hope we do attack their offense rather than sit back and watch plays develop. Best place to stop the option is in the backfield.

I'm in the opposite camp, frankly.

The Citadel is not particularly good offensively. The worst thing we can do is give up cheap scores or big chunk plays. Force a bad offense to make 9 or 10 positive plays to score. Odds are, they can't. Playing far too aggressively against an option offense is a way to give up big plays. Assignment football.

I'd expect anything from the Citadel. They are at home, aren't scoring, and their coach is on the hot seat. Kitchen sink time.
apaladin, bj93 liked this
 #57503  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:09 am
Flipping this thread a bit — scouting Furman.

I think the DINS missed Dom Morris against Samford. I love his edge and physicality. Another note about the DBs. Furman has quietly started weaving in true freshmen Caleb Williams and Charles Ingram. Our DB depth is impressive.

Transfer Emmanuel Adebayo is showing why the DINS offered him - his sack in the Samford game was impressive and showcases his athletic ability.

I hope we see more of Ben Ferguson in the slot in some upcoming games. I'm guessing the coaches want to redshirt Ben, and he's played in one game.
 #57504  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:51 am
AstroDin wrote:

I think the DINS missed Dom Morris against Samford. I love his edge and physicality. Another note about the DBs. Furman has quietly started weaving in true freshmen Caleb Williams and Charles Ingram. Our DB depth is impressive.

Transfer Emmanuel Adebayo is showing why the DINS offered him - his sack in the Samford game was impressive and showcases his athletic ability.

I hope we see more of Ben Ferguson in the slot in some upcoming games. I'm guessing the coaches want to redshirt Ben, and he's played in one game.
We had a lot of drops on passes Saturday. Some crucial. You might start seeing receivers rotate in.
 #57506  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:02 am
Game Notes: https://s3.amazonaws.com/furmanpaladins ... _Stats.pdf

I didn't think it possible, but at this rate Ryan Miller may have a legitimate shot to break Chas Fox's career touchdown mark.

Looks like depth chart wise we're about as full speed as we've been in a few weeks. Tyler Huff listed as an "or," which I guess means there's at least a possibility of him playing.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #57507  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:03 am
Offense-wise, we've got to start getting some big plays.

Our offense has been better than it has been the past few years, but we're not getting the big chunk plays in either the run or the pass game. I hope to see us really try to fix that this week.
bj93, dornb liked this
 #57508  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:06 am
AstroDin wrote:

Yes one of those freshmen DB’s you mentioned got burned on the 98 yd td against CSU but you gotta learn.
 #57509  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:14 am
The Jackal wrote:

Our offense has been better than it has been the past few years, but we're not getting the big chunk plays in either the run or the pass game. I hope to see us really try to fix that this week.
Agree this is huge!! Very difficult to score many points without big play capabilities. It is unbelievable that the only 20+ yard run by a rb was Roberto’s TD run at the end of the ETSU. We’ve had one long pass play that came against NG on a broken play.
 #57510  by Furmanoid
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:47 am
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Agree this is huge!! Very difficult to score many points without big play capabilities. It is unbelievable that the only 20+ yard run by a rb was Roberto’s TD run at the end of the ETSU. We’ve had one long pass play that came against NG on a broken play.
Three yards and a cloud of dust works. It only fails if you can’t do an extended drive without doing something stupid. The FU narrative is that we are disadvantaged by having to use smart kids. So why do we have to worry about killing drives with stupid mistakes? Our smarty pants kids should be able to operate like a machine: no missed blocking assignment, no blown option reads, no false starts or holding penalties, etc. That should be our strength. We shouldn’t rely on big plays when we just aren’t all that fast.

I like our offense OK. The D has been a disappointment. Even NG could move the ball on us.
bj93, tim liked this
 #57513  by fupaladin01
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:36 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Three yards and a cloud of dust works. It only fails if you can’t do an extended drive without doing something stupid. The FU narrative is that we are disadvantaged by having to use smart kids. So why do we have to worry about killing drives with stupid mistakes? Our smarty pants kids should be able to operate like a machine: no missed blocking assignment, no blown option reads, no false starts or holding penalties, etc. That should be our strength. We shouldn’t rely on big plays when we just aren’t all that fast.

I like our offense OK. The D has been a disappointment. Even NG could move the ball on us.
I... Just can't with this. Did i think Defense would be dominating this year? Yes. Are they? Not exactly. BUT... we held NGU to ZERO and they only croseed midfield 4-5 times. Defense held the SoCon offensive player of the year to 54 yards at his home field. They saved our butts time and against CSU when offense couldn't move the ball, and they held Clemson to less points and yards than any Furman team has in 20 years. We had a chance in the 4th quarter last week because they once again allowed NO POINTS in the 4th quarter.
We are very good in the red zone. Defense has more sacks than this point last year, and they've taken the ball away (when incompetant refs don't interfere) multiple times a game despite the O coughing it back up.
Can we work on the slow 2nd half starts? Yes- please. Can we eliminate big chunk plays and blown assignments in the secondary? Really hope so. But I think if anything they deserve an appreciation post.
hypercycloid liked this
 #57515  by tim
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:55 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

That FU narrative doesn't work this week. The Bellhops are just as challenged in recruiting as we are. They don't live in the portal either.
 #57516  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:58 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I mean, 20.4 ppg having played 2 ranked FCS teams, and 1 top 5 FBS team.

Yeah, we've given up some big plays, but the defense has largely been pretty stout.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.