• Scouting ETSU - and an advantage

#4000  by fufanatic
 Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:51 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:03 am
While I don't like using the term "must win" if it isn't a must win game, this is probably a close one. If we are playing only 10 games, Furman has little room to mess around, and especially not in a conference game we are favored to win.
It's a must win in the sense that while we could technically lose it and then run the table to make the playoffs, a team that starts 0-3 including a loss at ETSU and losing 93-14 in its first two games is probably not going to suddenly turn it on and run the table.

Having said that, I believe we will win, and probably big as it continues to be worth noting that ETSU is not Clemson and they are not Elon. Time to restart the 2018 season this week.
Flagman, dornb liked this
 #4022  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:15 pm
Game notes: http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-foot ... _Stats.pdf

A few small changes:

1. Breedlove listed as backup at both OG positions.

2. Gilby no longer listed as injured.

3. Grainger listed as starter.

4. Porter still appears to be out.

5. Kearse is back on the depth chart after missing Elon game.
Appreciate what Breedlove is doing.. but I was liking that we finally had 10 guys on OL in our initial 2 deep this year where used to we often had those 2-deeps with 7/8 guys total... With 5 starters and then 2 or 3 guys having to backup multiple positions. Probably need a little more depth still on OL.

Like the depth we have developed on DL ! As AstroDin mentions, Staggs seems to be developing depth on our DL . Nice, have to have that
 #4023  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:26 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:59 pm
The Jackal wrote:
While I don't like using the term "must win" if it isn't a must win game, this is probably a close one. If we are playing only 10 games, Furman has little room to mess around, and especially not in a conference game we are favored to win.

ETSU has some new faces. They have a new coaching staff and a transfer QB from Temple.

Doing a quick scan, they're currently 2-1. They beat D2 Mars Hill and VMI. They were trounced by Tennessee. They really have not looked particularly good (of course, neither has Furman).

In game 1, ETSU took a 14-7 lead against a bad D2 at home into the fourth quarter. Mars Hill is currently 0-3, having lost to ETSU, and then being soundly thumped by both Shaw and Lenior Rhyne.

Seeing the ETSU result, I thought maybe VMI was better than I expected. They really aren't. They turned the ball over a bunch and looked incredibly slow on film. I still am sticking with my prediction that VMI will go winless this year.

Offensively, the Bucs look like they run an offense similar to what we saw in Elon (and really Colgate, too). Single back, multi-receiver looks out of the shotgun. They try for balance, averaging roughly 170 ypg passing and rushing. Like Furman, they've coughed the ball up a bunch this season.

The QB has a big arm. He's thrown a bunch of picks this season, and is under 50% completions, but he can launch them downfield. He is their third leading rusher, so he will tuck it and go pretty routinely.

Defensively, they aren't terrible. They've surrendered only 58 ypg on the ground. Of course, two of the three teams they've played this season have been pretty weak, so that may explain the numbers a bit.

I think Furman is favored here. Probably heavily favored. The Paladins have handled ETSU the last two seasons. However, the Bucs seemingly every year surprise a team in Johnson City. Last year they upset Mercer. In 2016, they knocked off a ranked Samford team. We need a clean game and put that Elon contest in the rearview.
Jackal. Please remind me of the coaching changes at ETSU. thank you !
I'd suggest google.
Well played... LOL at me. I just thought you might could give insight as to what the old regime was good at and what the new regime is supposed to be good at? you often know those things
 #4026  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:07 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:26 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:59 pm
The Jackal wrote:

ETSU has some new faces. They have a new coaching staff and a transfer QB from Temple.

Doing a quick scan, they're currently 2-1. They beat D2 Mars Hill and VMI. They were trounced by Tennessee. They really have not looked particularly good (of course, neither has Furman).

In game 1, ETSU took a 14-7 lead against a bad D2 at home into the fourth quarter. Mars Hill is currently 0-3, having lost to ETSU, and then being soundly thumped by both Shaw and Lenior Rhyne.

Seeing the ETSU result, I thought maybe VMI was better than I expected. They really aren't. They turned the ball over a bunch and looked incredibly slow on film. I still am sticking with my prediction that VMI will go winless this year.

Offensively, the Bucs look like they run an offense similar to what we saw in Elon (and really Colgate, too). Single back, multi-receiver looks out of the shotgun. They try for balance, averaging roughly 170 ypg passing and rushing. Like Furman, they've coughed the ball up a bunch this season.

The QB has a big arm. He's thrown a bunch of picks this season, and is under 50% completions, but he can launch them downfield. He is their third leading rusher, so he will tuck it and go pretty routinely.

Defensively, they aren't terrible. They've surrendered only 58 ypg on the ground. Of course, two of the three teams they've played this season have been pretty weak, so that may explain the numbers a bit.

I think Furman is favored here. Probably heavily favored. The Paladins have handled ETSU the last two seasons. However, the Bucs seemingly every year surprise a team in Johnson City. Last year they upset Mercer. In 2016, they knocked off a ranked Samford team. We need a clean game and put that Elon contest in the rearview.
Jackal. Please remind me of the coaching changes at ETSU. thank you !
I'd suggest google.
Well played... LOL at me. I just thought you might could give insight as to what the old regime was good at and what the new regime is supposed to be good at? you often know those things

I haven't the slightest. Brand new head coach.
 #4034  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm
Furman is 25-7 against ETSU and last lost in Johnson City in 2000.

Anyone remember that game? ETSU scored 9 points in the 4th quarter and hit a game winning field goal with a little over a minute left.

Oh, and Louis Ivory ran 41 times for 231 and 2 TDs. Good grief.
AstroDin liked this
 #4037  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Anyone remember that game? ETSU scored 9 points in the 4th quarter and hit a game winning field goal with a little over a minute left.

Yes, I remember a few painful losses in the Terror'dome.
 #4043  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Yep was there, Ivory had great numbers, but he fumbled inside the 10 yard line of ETSU when we were about to score and go up a couple TD's late in the game which left the door open for ETSU to make their comeback.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.