#56826  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:16 pm
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin liked this
 #56829  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:18 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:11 pm
Whew! feel better, GF!
Astro. Thanks. I hope you really mean this. Not sarcasm I hope. If so you impress me with the response!! Been a rough time in REAL world lately.

CHeck your DM here.

Sports should be a diversion Everyone can come w difft perspectives just like life. Positive. Negative. Middles - sees both positives (many) and room for improvement ( always gonna be some)
 #56838  by FurmanATT
 Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:50 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:15 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:55 am
A few takeaways from last year's end-of-the-season match with Samford.

Jace Wilson was 7 of 11 passing for 145 yards and a touchdown. Jace also ran for 31 yards and another score. Roberto had a breakout game rushing for 216 and two scores. Abrams had 110 yards. Furman only had four players catch a pass.

I watched the WCU/Samford game. Western and their coach - lost their sh!t at times in that game - and Samford took advantage. I'm guessing Samford's game plan for Carlos Davis will be noted by the SoCon schools playing WCU. Samford hit him the entire game.

All but one of Samford's scores were 20 yards or more. Samford only rushed for 101 years; 49 were on a touchdown run in the 4th quarter. Chandler Smith appears to be Hiers go to guy.
Philosophically, Samford is usually trying to score from outside the red zone. Their offense utilizes the space on the field to operate, and the closer to the goal line, the less space they have. They take a lot of end zone shots from 20-30 yards out.

This Samford team is a little bit different than prior iterations. They aren't quite as high flying on offense as they have been in the past. They aren't throwing it quite as much as usual. They are running it a bit bitter. The defense is playing better.

Heirs does not appear to be the run threat that Welch or Hodges was. So, that's an element of the offense that does not seem to be as prevalent with the QB escaping on the run, especially in the red zone.

In my opinion, our defense is going to present a much bigger challenge to the Bulldog offense than their prior FCS games, especially our defensive backfield. It's looking like Kennesaw State probably isn't the top 10 team voters thought in the preseason. Samford struggled to beat Tennessee Tech.

Their game against WCU has an odd storyline. WCU had 32 first downs, 450+ yards of offense, ran 90 plays, and scored only 12 points. Samford was the better team, but those are odd statistics for the end result.
I'm always frustrated by those teams that try to score from INSIDE the end zone. -- MD
 #56848  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:57 am
Couple of thoughts.

The past few games I think you've seen the depth and conditioning paying off.

Keeler mentioned this, but Furman has allowed 0 points in the fourth quarter this season. That ability to lock a game down late was something that plagued us the past few seasons.

You could see in both the ETSU and CSU games that later in the contest, the depth and conditioning starting to wear on the opponent. Charleston Southern looked gassed late, particularly on offense. Against ETSU, the pass rush started to wreck havoc on a tired Buc offensive line late in the game. Those short gains on runs up the middle early in the game start turning into 6-8 yard rushes later in the contest.

I imagine no team in the SoCon rotates as much on defense as we do. Against a team like Samford that wants to play tempo, you are going to see our defenders with almost a hockey-style line change every few plays with 4 or 5 guys running on and off the field, especially if the ball is down closer to our sidelines allowing for our big guys to get off the field quicker.

We may risk a few series earlier in the game with our second and third line guys out there. In exchange, though, we will often get our best 11 with fresher legs on the field late in the contest when it's time to put the game away.
MNORM, FU69, QCGlue liked this
 #56852  by Purple rain
 Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:54 am
We also had a starting CB out and inside LB out as well. Jace did a great job coming in under much adversity. It will be October 1 on Saturday, we have played 1 home game. I am hoping the adversity will make us better. Go Dins!
dornb, apaladin liked this
 #56853  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:56 am
Purple rain wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:54 am
We also had a starting CB out and inside LB out as well. Jace did a great job coming in under much adversity. It will be October 1 on Saturday, we have played 1 home game. I am hoping the adversity will make us better. Go Dins!
Best I can tell, we had three starters out on defense. Played without our starting center and most of the game without our starting QB
 #56855  by gman84
 Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:13 am
Injuries happen, hopefully none are season ending. It will great to have a home game! Weather will be an issue. This is when a synthetic surface has its benefits. I remember a game in '15 with SC State, rain and wind may have been a tropical system also. We prevailed!
 #56857  by Fred Garvin
 Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:22 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:38 pm
FUBeAR and FamFUBeAR will be in attendance.

Mrs. FUBeAR, Little Miss FUBeAR & her betrothed, future FUBeAR Jr.-in-Law, are confirmed. FUBeAR Jr. and new Mrs. FUBeAR Jr. are iffy, leaning no. They’re both Bears - it’s hard to herd Bears. The other 3 are Dawgs - they are pack animals.

Can’t wait. Should be a GREAT day / weekend!
Fred will be making his 2022 debut this week..........the future Mrs. Fred will not be able to make the trip
Bootie, FUBeAR liked this

#56860  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:44 am
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #56862  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:44 am
gman84 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:13 am
Injuries happen, hopefully none are season ending. It will great to have a home game! Weather will be an issue. This is when a synthetic surface has its benefits. I remember a game in '15 with SC State, rain and wind may have been a tropical system also. We prevailed!
I like our running game in the rain against Samford's air raid attack.

#56875  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:05 pm
 #56885  by Roundball
 Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:43 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:22 pm
Latest models showing what is left of Hurricane Ian sitting on top of the Upstate by Saturday morning.
For weather geeks, try this hurricane tracker App.