• Game cancelled

#3833  by raleigh fan
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:55 pm
So that leaves either UNC or someone else they can cleverly move a couple of games around.
 #3834  by Davemeister
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:00 pm
This blows . . . like a hurricane.

Do we get a refund?
 #3838  by fufanatic
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:28 pm
raleigh fan wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:55 pm
So that leaves either UNC or someone else they can cleverly move a couple of games around.
It's still incredibly early, but it looks like getting a home game that's not some non-DI school is going to be tough.

Wonder if there was any talk of sending Furman up to Colgate? Wouldn't have been ideal at all, but the game could have happened barring something wild.
 #3844  by Paul C
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:11 pm
I saw a twitter post from Colgate earlier today that said that they were "monitoring the situation closely and would ensure the safety of their student-athletes" yada yada yada....

Wouldn't be surprised to find out that ultimately this came down to Colgate backing out, or invoking a "force majure" clause in the contract.....
 #3846  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:33 pm
Paul C wrote:
Colgate invoking a "force majure".....
ImageDidn’t know he was still playing...and had transferred to a Patsy League school
 #3847  by Flagman
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:51 pm
"Wonder if there was any talk of sending Furman up to Colgate? Wouldn't have been ideal at all, but the game could have happened barring something wild."

Glad that wasn't the case. I might have messed up my streak.
 #3850  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:14 pm
Very sad this game was cancelled. We need to keep scheduling games against Colgate and similar schools in the future.
 #3853  by hypercycloid
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:46 pm
I'm curious as to how everyone found out about the cancellation. Seems like season ticket holders and Paladin Club members should have gotten an email or something, but I didn't see anything until a friend told me about it.
 #3854  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:54 pm
Any chance that the NCAA extends the season and starts the playoffs a week later? This storm is going to impact more schools before its all said and done and we may see more cancellations. And there is a precedence for this - we added a game with PC after the season was extended a week back in 2001 after 9/11 and during our run to the National Championship game. Extending the season a week is even more feasible now compared to then with a big gap before the Championship game.
Last edited by MidlandsPaladin on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #3855  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:57 pm
hypercycloid wrote:
I'm curious as to how everyone found out about the cancellation. Seems like season ticket holders and Paladin Club members should have gotten an email or something, but I didn't see anything until a friend told me about it.
I would hope that if a home game is scheduled for later in the season that our Colgate tickets would be honored. Other than that, I have no issues with the way the announcement was made. I saw it on Twitter and the UFFP like everyone else. 8-)
Last edited by MidlandsPaladin on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathprofhiker liked this
 #3857  by Flagman
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 pm
hypercycloid wrote:
First read it here on the UFFP;then went to furmanpaladins.com to confirm it. Also saw it on Facebook. I don’t know if Furman is setup for the email blast you suggest; or text alerts.
 #3858  by MNORM
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:11 pm
I would be very surprised if the NCAA extends the FCS season for a regional event. They didn’t extend the season in 2005 after Katrina and the playoffs were a week shorter then.
We played a 6-3 Nicholls State in the 1st round of the playoffs that year. They won the Southland Auto-bid.
In order to make the playoffs this year we’ll need to go 7-1 in the SOCON or win the conference auto-bid.
 #3865  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:49 am
Paul C wrote:
I saw a twitter post from Colgate earlier today that said that they were "monitoring the situation closely and would ensure the safety of their student-athletes" yada yada yada....

Wouldn't be surprised to find out that ultimately this came down to Colgate backing out, or invoking a "force majure" clause in the contract.....
I believe it was Colgate also. I hope it wasn't Furman who cancelled the game. There is no reason to cancel. The weather channel and even doomsday John C.essarich forecast calls for Saturday to be partly cloudy. Yes we may get some rain Sunday but Colgate would be home Saturday night. If the flying is so dangerous why is Wofford flying to Wyoming and coming back Saturday night. They may not be able to land, LOL. I think Colgate backed out simply because they moved into the top 25 this week and they know there is a high likelihood that they would get beat and trade places with FU this weekend. Why would FU announce they are giving away free tickets and cancel the game a few hours later?? Even if it starts raining on Saturday it couldn't be worse than WCU last year. Hate it for the team as Lord knows they need the work. I'm mad. As we speak I see that hurricane Florence is down to a category 2. Good news.

PS-Clempson is playing there game but moved the KO to noon.

Someone mentioned UNC but they have WCU on their schedule so doubt they want Furman. Don't see us getting any type D1 game. No need to play a non d1 as it would not count and you risk injury.
Last edited by apaladin on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.