• Fan Fest

#55233  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:44 am
Honestly, I think we're getting where we need to be. We've invested in Paladin Stadium. We seem to have made good coaching hires and I think Hendrix is the right man to lead this program. We have used a masters programs and to attract grad transfer players that will provide immediate impact. We seem to be doing better than most on retaining and developing players. Rome wasn't (re)built in a day.

On the field, I like what we're doing. We've done well recruiting. We seem to have more depth at certain positions than we've had in recent memory. Those are good things.

I'm not sure why, but we've struggled to retain and develop the most critical position the field - quarterback. Hendrix inherited a pretty bleak QB depth chart. We've had to play a lot of young players at that position seemingly every year. The one kid we thought was the future transferred.

This is maybe the first year in Hendrix's tenure where we really have a 3 man depth chart - three players that have the talent to be a starter for this program, a veteran player, a younger player with experience, and another waiting in the wings that won't necessarily be needed right away and can grow and develop before it is his turn.
FUBeAR, gman84, QCGlue and 3 others liked this
 #55236  by tim
 Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:24 am
The grad transfer program has been a nice surprise for football and basketball. Furman is using it well. I wish we had more grad programs.
dornb liked this
 #55237  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:43 am
tim wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:24 am
The grad transfer program has been a nice surprise for football and basketball. Furman is using it well. I wish we had more grad programs.
Kudos to Furman for not just throwing out a Master's program that another school can offer in Furman's competitive landscape. The MASD program is unique and very attractive to today's graduates. I would expect to see more athletes transfer to Furman from larger schools (for example; Michigan State, ODU/UVa, etc)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Furman bookend MASD with a similar connected program — you could have one focus on design and the other on business and you can also interconnect these programs on large-scale projects.
hypercycloid, fupaladin01, tim and 1 others liked this