• 2022 Season Predictions

#55133  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:49 am
Unlike a lot of years, I think anyone in the SoCon is capable of beating anyone.

My expectation are there will be three teams near the back of the back - Wofford, Samford, and the Citadel.

No one is going to feel super comfortable playing those teams. While they have good players, I'm not sure they have the depth of talent to make a strong run over the course of the season. I'd suggest for all three, their head coaches will be coaching for their jobs this year, so all stops will be pulled.

Samford is always dangerous because of their offense. They lost a lot to graduation, and have brought in two transfer QBs to compete for who is going to lead the SoCon in passing this year. Like most years, I'm just not sure Samford is going to play enough defense.

Wofford talks like they'll be improved. I've watched that team get worse every season. They have a largely brand new coaching staff, a head coach that doesn't want to be there, and no clear option at QB.

I'm not quite as bullish on ETSU. They were rarely dominant last year, won a lot of close games, and lost several of their best players on both sides of the ball.

UTC was strong last season, but relied far too much on their defense. If SoCon teams can crack that code, I wonder whether their offense will be able to keep up.

Mercer will be strong. I am at least a little interested in whether the SoCon adjusts to Drew Cronic. Cronic has been successful in every stop, but he is rarely in one spot very long and it will be interesting to see if SoCon teams are able to figure him out a bit with a year of film on his scheme, tendencies, and personnel.

VMI and WCU are two teams that will be plenty dangerous. I felt a bit last year like they were playing with house money, but that may be historical bias talking.
 #55134  by Yadkin
 Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:23 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:18 am
7-4 ?

Possible losses.
Clemson - Very probably
ETSU
Chatt
Western
Mercer
Sammy? remember last year - it took HEROICS to win this.

Often we say, a few plays here and there and we are 8-3 (ETSU comes to mind)... also, a few plays we don't execute (Samford) and we are 5-6.

I hope we get a few and make the playoffs. Obviously, ETSU Chatt and Mercer are opportunities. If we don't win there is no one to look at but ourselves. The opportunities are there for the taking. Well, I still don't like the D2 game but there is no changing that now. Though I know CH agrees as he was upset a few years back when we were denied playoffs for too few games.
It took “Heroics” to beat Samford? What was heroic about taking a 35-10 third quarter lead en route to the win. Sammy never had the ball and chance to win in 4Q.

Heroic was ETSU’s 4Q drive to beat us after we had them on the turf, cleats on throat for the win, and let them off the hook with the the INT at the goal line. Gift-wrapped the WCU game result for them.

Probably should have finished 8-3.
tim, FUBeAR liked this
 #55135  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:23 am
Yadkin wrote:
gofurman wrote:
7-4 ?

Possible losses.
Clemson - Very probably
ETSU
Chatt
Western
Mercer

Often we say, a few plays here and there and we are 8-3 (ETSU comes to mind)... also, a few plays we don't execute (Samford) and we are 5-6.

I hope we get a few and make the playoffs. Obviously, ETSU Chatt and Mercer are opportunities. If we don't win there is no one to look at but ourselves. The opportunities are there for the taking. Well, I still don't like the D2 game but there is no changing that now. Though I know CH agrees as he was upset a few years back when we were denied playoffs for too few games.
It took “Heroics” to beat Samford? What was heroic about taking a 35-10 third quarter lead en route to the win. Sammy never had the ball and chance to win in 4Q.

Heroic was ETSU’s 4Q drive to beat us after we had them on the turf, cleats on throat for the win, and let them off the hook with the the INT at the goal line. Gift-wrapped the WCU game result for them.

Prolly was thinking of the Spring ‘21 OT game w/Sammy.
 #55142  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:32 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:23 am
Yadkin wrote:
gofurman wrote:
7-4 ?

Possible losses.
Clemson - Very probably
ETSU
Chatt
Western
Mercer

Prolly was thinking of the Spring ‘21 OT game w/Sammy.
Thanks for the help FUBeAR. !!

That was the game - My mistake - durn Rona , 1.7 seasons in 2021 lol. 1.7 meaning some teams QUIT mid season !

A 2021 spring. A 2021 fall season. Teams quitting. Teams not playing starters. I’m too old to keep up with that

Let’s go in 22 !!
 #55180  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:41 pm
Listened to a little of Dabo’s press conference Thursday. He mentioned the coaches didn’t like the mild weather, would rather it be hot because it will be 100 degrees for the Furman game. So why schedule it for the hottest part of the day? Of course the answer is TV. The ACC network has a full slate that day. He also mentioned they would spend Sunday and Monday of the Ga. Tech week working on Furman before turning all their attention to GT. Said they would not get home until 2 or 3 AM after the Tech game then wake up and its Tuesday and you play on Saturday.
 #55187  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:30 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:41 pm
Listened to a little of Dabo’s press conference Thursday. He mentioned the coaches didn’t like the mild weather, would rather it be hot because it will be 100 degrees for the Furman game. So why schedule it for the hottest part of the day? Of course the answer is TV. The ACC network has a full slate that day. He also mentioned they would spend Sunday and Monday of the Ga. Tech week working on Furman before turning all their attention to GT. Said they would not get home until 2 or 3 AM after the Tech game then wake up and its Tuesday and you play on Saturday.
Clemson will be tough, but the schedule definitely gives Furman an advantage.

It's not uncommon for FBS schools not to put a lot of specific prep in for an FCS opponent under the theory that they can just "out-athlete" them. That approach hasn't always worked out.
 #56039  by fupaladin01
 Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:19 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:33 am
Football is less than 3 weeks away and I cannot wait. Time to go on record with your best guess (purple glasses or otherwise) on the upcoming season. I'm choosing unbridled optimism. 9-2

This is how it COULD happen...

NGU (W) - Paladins come out swinging with the new offense and never look back. Defense is rarely challenged and the Crusaders only cross midfield 3 times. CCH pulls his punches out of respect and Paladins win the battle between Christian Knights 38-0

Clemson (L) - Clemson, spoiling a beautiful purple uniform with splotches of orange, makes fewer mistakes than we need them to in order for the Purple and White to keep it really close, but a couple of sacks and a fumble keep FU in the game for a half. Offense rolls out a couple of cool plays for big yardage, but ultimately we can't go the distance. 34-12

ETSU (W) - Roper shows us what he's been holding back and a new QB has a breakout game, connecting with KD twice for TDs. Defense knows what to expect from Quarles and stuffs ETSU's run game and adds 2 interceptions. Roberto hits 100 yds and the Paladins vault into the top 25 after upsetting the top-10 Bucs. 27-20

CSU (W) - Offense struggles in the muggy Charleston air for a half, then finds a rhythm. Defense has its best showing of the season and shuts out the struggling CSU offense. 24-0

Samford (W) -Samford has an axe to grind against FU after years of losing close ones to the Dins. They come out slinging and catch the D napping a few too many times. FU mounts a comeback lead by a deceptive and powerful run game with some impressive pass plays. Ryan Miller again saves the day with 2 TDs and Furman escapes in another close one, 30-27

The Citadel (W) - The Bulldogs throw everything they've got at us, which keeps it close for a half. Defense struggles initially against the option attack but eventually locks down. The 2-headed monster of KD and R. Miller wears down their secondary and FU pulls away in the 2nd half. 27-13

Western Carolina (W) - Glad we have this one at home. WCU impresses with their offensive talents and exploits some weakness in our D with their balanced attack. FU Defense fares better than last season, and keeps the Catamounts under 40. A long, methodical, late drive provides the winning FG from Ryan Leavy and the Paladins win a close one. 41-38

VMI (W) - Still ranked closer to 20 than top-10, FU puts together its most complete game in Lexington. Defense gets 4 sacks and 3 interceptions, and Roberto runs for 150 yards and earns SoCon player of the week. We also get our first KO return for a TD in a long time. 33-10

Chattanooga (L) - Furman, ranked #15, is in the national FCS playoff conversation. Chattanooga rolls into Greenville loaded with FBS transfer talent and dissatisfied with their 5-2 record and waning playoff prospects. A defensive battle ensues, and for some reason our O has temporarily lost its mojo. The Mocs humble a huge homecoming crowd. 13-16

Mercer (W) - Scariest game on the schedule. Drew Cronic knew Quarles' playbook like the back of his hand and his defense has been studying Roper's moves closely. However, the Paladin O throws a few surprises at the Bears and the Furman D returns to form with 3 sacks and a key interception to swing the momentum. An unsung hero in the WR core has a breakout game and Roberto wreaks havoc behind an angry and determined OL and Furman wins a close one in Macon. 21-17

Wofford (W) - The Terriers have improved from last season, but that's not saying much. They attempt to play spoiler to our near-certain playoff hopes, but the Paladin Offense is humming and can smell a SoCon Championship. 45-24

Furman cracks the Top-10 in all polls.
I'd like to refer you to the second week prediction above from one month ago.
FUBeAR liked this
 #56041  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:33 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:19 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Football is less than 3 weeks away and I cannot wait. Time to go on record with your best guess (purple glasses or otherwise) on the upcoming season. I'm choosing unbridled optimism. 9-2

NGU (W) - Paladins come out swinging with the new offense and never look back. Defense is rarely challenged and the Crusaders only cross midfield 3 times. CCH pulls his punches out of respect and Paladins win the battle between Christian Knights 38-0

Clemson (L) - Clemson, spoiling a beautiful purple uniform with splotches of orange, makes fewer mistakes than we need them to in order for the Purple and White to keep it really close, but a couple of sacks and a fumble keep FU in the game for a half. Offense rolls out a couple of cool plays for big yardage, but ultimately we can't go the distance. 34-12

ETSU (W) - Roper shows us what he's been holding back and a new QB has a breakout game, connecting with KD twice for TDs. Defense knows what to expect from Quarles and stuffs ETSU's run game and adds 2 interceptions. Roberto hits 100 yds and the Paladins vault into the top 25 after upsetting the top-10 Bucs. 27-20

CSU (W) - Offense struggles in the muggy Charleston air for a half, then finds a rhythm. Defense has its best showing of the season and shuts out the struggling CSU offense. 24-0

Samford (W) -Samford has an axe to grind against FU after years of losing close ones to the Dins. They come out slinging and catch the D napping a few too many times. FU mounts a comeback lead by a deceptive and powerful run game with some impressive pass plays. Ryan Miller again saves the day with 2 TDs and Furman escapes in another close one, 30-27

The Citadel (W) - The Bulldogs throw everything they've got at us, which keeps it close for a half. Defense struggles initially against the option attack but eventually locks down. The 2-headed monster of KD and R. Miller wears down their secondary and FU pulls away in the 2nd half. 27-13

Western Carolina (W) - Glad we have this one at home. WCU impresses with their offensive talents and exploits some weakness in our D with their balanced attack. FU Defense fares better than last season, and keeps the Catamounts under 40. A long, methodical, late drive provides the winning FG from Ryan Leavy and the Paladins win a close one. 41-38

VMI (W) - Still ranked closer to 20 than top-10, FU puts together its most complete game in Lexington. Defense gets 4 sacks and 3 interceptions, and Roberto runs for 150 yards and earns SoCon player of the week. We also get our first KO return for a TD in a long time. 33-10

Chattanooga (L) - Furman, ranked #15, is in the national FCS playoff conversation. Chattanooga rolls into Greenville loaded with FBS transfer talent and dissatisfied with their 5-2 record and waning playoff prospects. A defensive battle ensues, and for some reason our O has temporarily lost its mojo. The Mocs humble a huge homecoming crowd. 13-16

Mercer (W) - Scariest game on the schedule. Drew Cronic knew Quarles' playbook like the back of his hand and his defense has been studying Roper's moves closely. However, the Paladin O throws a few surprises at the Bears and the Furman D returns to form with 3 sacks and a key interception to swing the momentum. An unsung hero in the WR core has a breakout game and Roberto wreaks havoc behind an angry and determined OL and Furman wins a close one in Macon. 21-17

Wofford (W) - The Terriers have improved from last season, but that's not saying much. They attempt to play spoiler to our near-certain playoff hopes, but the Paladin Offense is humming and can smell a SoCon Championship. 45-24

I'd like to refer you to the second week prediction above from one month ago.
You overestimated our Defense! SHAME!!
 #60680  by cavedweller2
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:06 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:

Not too shabby. Nice prediculations.
Bootie liked this
 #60682  by furmandad
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:25 pm
Furman Coaches pre-season picked Furman 4th and Samford 6th (they didn’t factor in 33 transfers in). Picked ETSU 2nd based upon returning 7 starters on each side of the ball. Didn’t factor in impact of a new Head Coach.
 #60751  by Davemeister
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:20 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:22 am
Very good job, fupaladin01, but 9-2 is a best-case scenario and I am wary of those. I have to stick with the much more attainable 7-4, possibly 8-3 if I'm having a Good Day.

Well . . . I was wrong and I couldn't be happier about it! Thought 9-2 was beyond reach, but I didn't reckon on the 2022 Paladins being such a different animal than last year's team.

So I went outside last night and looked for Signs in the Sky. They all indicated Furman is going to the Playoffs.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.