• Quarterback-What to do?

#3660  by AstroDin
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:12 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:06 am
It's a hard question.

This may be odd to say, but I like what we are trying to do offensively. We have an identity, we have a game plan, but we are not executing it well.

I noted this on the other thread, but we have to look at the QB play in context. Clemson is a tough defense to play against. Elon is a tough defense to play against (they are big up front and have an All American MLB). This is not exactly the scout team out there.

From my view, our QBs are rushing things. They are missing completions to open receivers. They don't look comfortable back there yet. Both guys have big arms and I think will eventually be successful.

I'd prefer us to pick a QB and go with him instead of rotating both guys on a schedule. It almost seems like we are still holding a tryout audition for the long-term starter. Maybe we are.
funny you brought up that our QBs are rushing things, I was just thinking about the performance of Lincoln and Roberts in the spring game. Lincoln was calm and looked in control during the scrimmage — I left impressed.

I can't imagine the rush and pressure of a real game against a team hell-bent to blow up everything you're trying to do.
 #3661  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:14 am
sluggo wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:17 pm
As long as everybody keeps worrying about the QB instead of fixing the OL, we'll keep losing.

Simple as that.

Seriously; if the QB can't throw the ball then what's stopping us from running it?
yep. have to have the OL. Any QB looks good w a great Ol. Every QB looks bad w a porous OL
Last edited by gofurman on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
sluggo liked this
 #3662  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:25 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:12 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:06 am
It's a hard question.

This may be odd to say, but I like what we are trying to do offensively. We have an identity, we have a game plan, but we are not executing it well.

I noted this on the other thread, but we have to look at the QB play in context. Clemson is a tough defense to play against. Elon is a tough defense to play against (they are big up front and have an All American MLB). This is not exactly the scout team out there.

From my view, our QBs are rushing things. They are missing completions to open receivers. They don't look comfortable back there yet. Both guys have big arms and I think will eventually be successful.

I'd prefer us to pick a QB and go with him instead of rotating both guys on a schedule. It almost seems like we are still holding a tryout audition for the long-term starter. Maybe we are.
funny you brought up that our QBs are rushing things, I was just thinking about the performance of Lincoln and Roberts in the spring game. Lincoln was calm and looked in control during the scrimmage — I left impressed.

I can't imagine the rush and pressure of a real game against a team hell-bent to blow up everything you're trying to do.
In the spring game and virtually every practice, no one is allowed to hit the QB. It's a different game played at full speed where defenders aren't having to pull up before they hit you.
 #3663  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:29 am
gofurman wrote:
sluggo wrote:
As long as everybody keeps worrying about the QB instead of fixing the OL, we'll keep losing.

Simple as that.

Seriously; if the QB can't throw the ball then what's stopping us from running it?
yep. have to have the OL. Any QB looks good w a gret Ol. Every QB looks bad w a porous OL
I don't think the OL is "porous." I think there are adjustments that need to be made, which is why Clay Hendrix was out front saying we need to "coach better."

There was one play in the first quarter where Elon's DT knifed into the backfield and blew up a stretch run to the left side. It was a virtually identical play Clemson's DT made against the same play last week. Our RG is struggling to get over and cut off the defensive lineman. Almost identical results.

So I ask, is that a porous offensive line or a coaching adjustment? If the OG physically cannot get over fast enough to cut off the lineman the way the play is designed, whose fault is that?
 #3665  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:22 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
sluggo wrote:

Simple as that.

yep. have to have the OL. Any QB looks good w a gret Ol. Every QB looks bad w a porous OL
I don't think the OL is "porous." I think there are adjustments that need to be made, which is why Clay Hendrix was out front saying we need to "coach better."

There was one play in the first quarter where Elon's DT knifed into the backfield and blew up a stretch run to the left side. It was a virtually identical play Clemson's DT made against the same play last week. Our RG is struggling to get over and cut off the defensive lineman. Almost identical results.

So I ask, is that a porous offensive line or a coaching adjustment? If the OG physically cannot get over fast enough to cut off the lineman the way the play is designed, whose fault is that?
Right. Don't take my term too literally w 'porous'. Though on some plays I felt we were. I see your point. Primary fault lies with (coaching) asking the guy to do something he can't and running a play we aren't capable of. Of course, if we are capable of running that play in practice (I assume we are or we wouldn't try it versus Elon or certainly not v Clemson) - then is our DL maybe slower than our opponents? I guess so as that led us to believe we could run this particular play and be able to cut off the DL.

Oh well, learning is the key. Hope we don't see that play again unless we feel the DT we are opposing is slower than the one at Elon.

Colgate is not nearly as athletic as the first two teams.
 #3666  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:30 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
sluggo wrote:

Simple as that.

Backside blocking was the primary issue with the run game on Sat. Blocking at POA was good enough. We may see some scheme changes, but I am sure the OLmen will have very little skin remaining on their fingertips & palms after practice this week.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the FU OLmen walking down the halls just like this between classes this week.
gofurman, AstroDin, sluggo and 1 others liked this
 #3687  by dinhead
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:57 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:01 pm
sluggo wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:27 pm
Do you think we will HR if he is 100% healthy?
That dead horse has been beat worse than Elon beat Furman.
It was over when he couldn't beat JL out during spring practice.

Too much time, effort and hot air have been used to try to make the guy the starter and that's the only
reason he started against Clemson.
Why yank a player after 3 plays if you think he should be the starter?
And why start someone who you think shouldn't start?
Answer : Because of the hype in the media.

The head coach satisfied the media for 3 plays and then went back to coaching.
totally agree Sluggo.
Glad to hear somebody say what a lot of Furman fans had to be thinking. If the kids injured he shouldn't be playing at all and certainly not starting. If he's the third string QB as he might well be then put him in at garbage time in the fourth quarter. The only reason he started was because of the USA Today and other media hype which is absolutely pathetic. It's not even a favorable story about Furman rather its about some crazy loophole in the NCAA rules that makes no sense to anybody. Furman's defense is out there busting their butt's to contain Clemson and we forfeit our first possession with this absurdity ! What kind of message does that send to our team ? Are we playing to win or playing to the media ? Evidently it was the latter and that does a great injustice to the Furman players who are battling to hang in there with one of the top teams in the country and the Furman fans who expect our coaches to do everything they can to support them.
sluggo liked this
 #3688  by Flagman
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:05 pm
It was an interesting story that got us some significant publicity. That is a plus. All week, people heard and read about Furman. You can't buy that kind of publicity. If anyone thinks starting either of the freshmen would have given us a different outcome at Clemson, I'd like to sell them some ocean front property I have in northern Greenville county.

It's time to let this sleeping dog lie.
sluggo, fufanatic liked this
 #3690  by Davemeister
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:09 pm
Since the coaches haven't settled on one guy, why not give Hamp some playing time Saturday? As pitiful as we are on Offense, it couldn't possibly hurt and might even help.
PalaDad liked this
 #3694  by Paul C
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:29 pm
If we are electing to go with a Fr QB the coaches have to trust him. What I saw on Saturday was a staff calling a game to protect a young QB.
 #3696  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:41 pm
From what I have seen is the two QB's we played saturday are just not capable of making accurate throws at this point in their career. Nothing I fault them for just not something they have as a tool to use right now. I am not really sure what to do about that, teams are going to stack the box on us and make things really hard on our rushing attack which sucks. What I can't stand to see is all the fumbles, my god be strong with the football, that's something we better start controlling as its hell a frustrating to see, we have turned the ball over 5 times this year and not created 1 single turnover ourselves on the other end, both of those stats are unacceptable!
 #3700  by sluggo
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:09 pm
dinhead wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:57 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:01 pm
sluggo wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:27 pm
Do you think we will HR if he is 100% healthy?
That dead horse has been beat worse than Elon beat Furman.
It was over when he couldn't beat JL out during spring practice.

Too much time, effort and hot air have been used to try to make the guy the starter and that's the only
reason he started against Clemson.
Why yank a player after 3 plays if you think he should be the starter?
And why start someone who you think shouldn't start?
Answer : Because of the hype in the media.

The head coach satisfied the media for 3 plays and then went back to coaching.
totally agree Sluggo.
Glad to hear somebody say what a lot of Furman fans had to be thinking. If the kids injured he shouldn't be playing at all and certainly not starting. If he's the third string QB as he might well be then put him in at garbage time in the fourth quarter. The only reason he started was because of the USA Today and other media hype which is absolutely pathetic. It's not even a favorable story about Furman rather its about some crazy loophole in the NCAA rules that makes no sense to anybody. Furman's defense is out there busting their butt's to contain Clemson and we forfeit our first possession with this absurdity ! What kind of message does that send to our team ? Are we playing to win or playing to the media ? Evidently it was the latter and that does a great injustice to the Furman players who are battling to hang in there with one of the top teams in the country and the Furman fans who expect our coaches to do everything they can to support them.

I thought HR was going to be good as the starter; but it's seems crystal clear that the coach is not going with him.

The move at Clemson spoke volumes!

We had very little chance in that game, so there was no reason to pull HR out except the coach wanted a different QB.

I like all the publicity that came because HR started, so I approve of how the coaches handled the situation.
Personally, I would have played HR for the entire 1st half; but that just shows how much the coaches wanted to move
past the HR question.
 #3701  by cavedweller2
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:14 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:05 pm
It was an interesting story that got us some significant publicity. That is a plus. All week, people heard and read about Furman. You can't buy that kind of publicity. If anyone thinks starting either of the freshmen would have given us a different outcome at Clemson, I'd like to sell them some ocean front property I have in northern Greenville county.

It's time to let this sleeping dog lie.
All publicity is good publicity.
 #3703  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:06 pm
Another question that sort of bugged me. Last season Quarles was in the booth with Cronic on the field. This season Quarles is on the field. I wonder what, if any, difference that may make.
 #3708  by tya1
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:00 pm
In baseball they talk about how your defense starts up the middle with your catcher, pitcher, shortstop, second baseman and centerfielder.

In football it works the same for both offense and defense. Our offense is missing all-conference level players at center and guard, a top, experienced QB, and half of our inside running tandem from last year. On defense we are missing our top tackler at a key position - LB.

It is going to take time. On offense, especially, there was too much glossing over the losses from some fans. We need some patience and we need some guys to step up.
fufanatic liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.