• The morning after

#3653  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:47 pm
There's no real sugar coating this one. They whipped our fannies.

Now, I still see good things out there. If we had started out with Gardner Webb and Presbyterian, we'd all have a completely different view of this season. So, it's all a matter of perspective. We've already played (in my opinion) two of the three best teams we'll see all season (Samford's the other).
 #3654  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:02 pm
Just had a chance to watch the game & here is my detailed analysis:

1) not our night
2) got a lot of work to do
 #3655  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:50 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:42 am
The most positive thing I have to say on this morning after is that our season will get better. I don't think we can play any worse than we played last night. And I'm not taking anything away from Elon; they are a very good team and they whipped our butts.

Last year vs. this year. On Offense, we graduated two All-Conference performers on the interior line, an All-American TE, an All-Conference QB and an All-Conference RB. So far, we have been unable to replace these players.

If PJ were back, in all likelihood he would be running for his life just like our two Freshmen.

our OC from last year moved on. While I have the utmost respect for the coach who assumed those duties, it is possible that something was lost in that transaction.

On Defense we returned 9 starters and should be playing much better than we played last night. We did however lose our leading tackler from last year and that could be having more of an effect than anticipated. I also believe our D is demoralized by not getting any help from the Offense.

In summary, our team WILL improve over the course of the season, but I am not sure the wins will come soon enough for us to make a run at the SoCon title. All programs have a rebuilding year from time to time and this could be one of ours. We have just about everybody returning next year, so I am optimist about the long run.

That being said, I haven't given up on this year. I will be at Paladin Stadium this Saturday pulling for our guys to squeeze that tube o' toothpaste in the middle!

Go 'Dins!
Agree w your points - I'll be there Saturday !!! Will be telling. We beat Colgate like a drum last year. We were too athletic.

In order-
Number 1 concern you mention - our OC is gone... I get we have less experience on O but I worried when OC left ... We shall see. His Lenoir Rhine team is scoring lots of points I think.

Number 2 concern - I was told not to worry about losing Scmidt and Blaze etc. the OL losses were huge. I hoped that another year of learning CCH system etc might negate the loss of age/size. But it's just tough on OL to replace experience. I felt I was watching pre-2017 last night. 3 DAM Elon guys beating our 5 OL. Wth ???

Number 3 - 9 of 11 returners on D PLUS Amir Trapp and that's what we do?? That's the most baffling one to me. I can at least understand OL youth etc. but the D has no excuse. Same coach. Same players. WTH? Though I do wonder about losing Ellis - I worried about that when he left. He wasn't on the Rice list ( like Cheek) for the nations best freshman for nothing. Losing a LB of that caliber hurts bad. Still w all that D returning no reason to give up 45 points to Elon. None. At. All. Tackling was bad.
 #3656  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:59 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:15 pm
In years past — we're pretty quick to snap at each other after similar disappointing games. I've been quick to police others — I'm sorry about that.

I was pretty disappointed about the game, add on a rough physical week while managing diabetes — I was contemplating taking a week off the board. Jasper your post was just what I needed as well as everyone else's realistic, honest attitude. GoFurman I include you in that… we often don't see eye to eye — sorry about that 'bro.

We're lucky we have a board a community that cares about Furman Football, and thanks Guys for bringing me some hope and bringing me back down to earth.
A HUGE SHOUT OUT to Astro !!! I hadn't seen this. Thanks - have a great week and check Your PMs
 #3664  by PaladinMomma
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:04 am
Well said, Jasper! :)
I like your style! My husband reminded me that we started off in a similar fashion last year and look what our guys accomplished. It's early and our coaches and guys will figure it out. Onward and upward. What our guys need right now is support, support, support.
See you in the stands...
FUBeAR, AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #3669  by Purpleglasses
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:46 am
It was a tough one to watch from Alabama...that said...
I believe that any really objective observer that actually watched Elon's game against USF would see what we were about to face an excellent team.
In that game, Elon's receivers dropped many big play, possession extending passes that were not really contested, they were just drops.
they also ran the ball very well against USF.
As you have always heard, the biggest improvements are between weeks 1 and 2. This past week, Elon did actually improve with their Receivers, and polished their running game.
We didn't improve. Defensive players were not filling gaps. They were shooting up field when they should have stayed at home, and we were missing tackles.
Offensively, we were one dimensional, and did not give the maligned QB's any time to try and stretch the field, so that some of that running game would (could) open up.
This is an adjustment the OL needs to make, and I am sure that Hendrix is capable of and will work to correct this issue.
What was unacceptable to me, as an observer, was the visible "head hanging" from players, and "giving up" when the rubber was meeting the road.
To correct a lot of this, some players need to grow up and mature. It is not always just a Skill improvement that is needed, it is a mental toughness that is needed.
They need to remember that no one individual is bigger than the team, and dedicate themselves to give 100% for 6 seconds at a time for as many opportunities they have while they are between the white lines.
The season is all still in front of them, they can do this, and we need to be behind them supporting them the whole way, win or lose.
FUBeAR, Dinforlife, furman88 and 2 others liked this
 #3670  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am
Good points.

One small thing I noticed was that our TE and OL didn't put their hand on the ground at the same time on the QB's cadence. That sort of says "I'll get ready when I'm ready."

Hendrix talked in the preseason how we lack some leadership on offense. I think we have two seniors (Dirks and Gibson) and a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. Talented players, but it looked like someone needs to step up and lead that group.
Purpleglasses, furman88 liked this
 #3671  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:30 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am
One small thing I noticed was that our TE and OL didn't put their hand on the ground at the same time on the QB's cadence. That sort of says "I'll get ready when I'm ready."
Don’t know how FU’s cadence/audible’s/combo’s at the line and such work now, but this could be by design. If TE goes to a 3 point stance, he can’t shift/trade after he puts his hand down. If you’re saying that ALL of the OL, including the TE, were out of sync with each other & going down ‘irregularly,’ then that is a sign of lack of attention to detail, IMO. If it was just the TE & he was later than the OL, as I said, could be SOP to allow QB’s more time to change plays/strength pre-snap.
Purpleglasses, AstroDin liked this
 #3672  by AstroDin
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:51 am
Speaking of players stepping up… I was impressed with Devin Wynn on the field and his post-game interview.
Basically, they asked him about his performance and until the end of the game he was giving his all. Wynn mentioned trying to lead by example to get others to put forth the same effort.

I'm sure Wynn's effort didn't go unnoticed by the coaches.

Concerning tight end — #82 Ryan Miller got a lot of PT, several passes went his way but he still doesn't have any receptions. I'm curious if we continue to work him into the system - he's built like a big wide receiver.
 #3673  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:57 am
Purpleglasses wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:46 am
It was a tough one to watch from Alabama...that said...
I believe that any really objective observer that actually watched Elon's game against USF would see what we were about to face an excellent team.
In that game, Elon's receivers dropped many big play, possession extending passes that were not really contested, they were just drops.
they also ran the ball very well against USF.
As you have always heard, the biggest improvements are between weeks 1 and 2. This past week, Elon did actually improve with their Receivers, and polished their running game.
We didn't improve. Defensive players were not filling gaps. They were shooting up field when they should have stayed at home, and we were missing tackles.
Offensively, we were one dimensional, and did not give the maligned QB's any time to try and stretch the field, so that some of that running game would (could) open up.
This is an adjustment the OL needs to make, and I am sure that Hendrix is capable of and will work to correct this issue.
What was unacceptable to me, as an observer, was the visible "head hanging" from players, and "giving up" when the rubber was meeting the road.
To correct a lot of this, some players need to grow up and mature. It is not always just a Skill improvement that is needed, it is a mental toughness that is needed.
They need to remember that no one individual is bigger than the team, and dedicate themselves to give 100% for 6 seconds at a time for as many opportunities they have while they are between the white lines.
The season is all still in front of them, they can do this, and we need to be behind them supporting them the whole way, win or lose.
Yep, some people were noting that Elon ran for 250 yards vs a team -USF - that has now beaten Georgia Tech. USF is no slouch. I watched that ElonvUSF game and in the first drives Elon ran it down USF throat for a drive or two. I was noticing Elon averaged 3.9 ypc vs USF FBS Defense. They got roughly 6 or 7 ypc vs us.

I hope Elon is great - the better they are the better for us. They also held USF to 3.9 ypc. Rarely do I see an FCS team have the same YPC as the FBS team they play. Obviously USF killed Elon but it was all through the air.
Purpleglasses, Jasper liked this
 #3677  by Thorny
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:59 pm
I thought the players looked conditioned and were motivated (at least at first).

However, I did not think they looked ready to play (understood their assignments) and that is on the coaches. It's part of the reason I was optimistic early in the game. I did not think Elon had better athletes and I assumed adjustments could be made.
 #3682  by Jasper
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:27 pm
I made the statement last week that we would not see the type of athlete on the field at Elon that we did at Clemson and the more I think about that, the "wronger" I feel. Forget all the obvious flaws for a moment in the FU performance. That remains a total mystery to me and we have beaten it to death. Let's just toss the memory of that bad boy in the "I don't recall" file favored by politicians and move on. Elon had more than a few athletes that could play for Clemson. They brought in a freshmen running back in the second half named Jalen Thomas, I think, who looked like the second coming of Barry Sanders and the two guys who played in front of him were no slouches. I assume they had some fat boys up front who were blowing the socks off our D line and LB's. They had an inside linebacker who put a huge hit on one of our RBs that took him out of the game. In short, I think the Elon squad made a big leap in class that we were simply not prepared for or no match for. Doesn't matter. This beatdown was more the result of Elon's performance than it was Furman's. I expect them to make a lot of noise in the CAA and beyond this year and will be shocked if they don't. I refuse to believe that Furman suddenly became a terrible team. I still think we are a good football team that is well coached and has a chance to become a VERY good football team if everyone straps on their helmets and goes to work. And that includes attitude and toughness adjustments for the players, the coaches and most importantly, of course, the loyal supporters on these boards. :) Now, what poor saps are up this week? Colgate?? COLGATE? I pity those fools! :evil:
 #3685  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:46 pm
Jasper wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:27 pm
I made the statement last week that we would not see the type of athlete on the field at Elon that we did at Clemson and the more I think about that, the "wronger" I feel. Forget all the obvious flaws for a moment in the FU performance. That remains a total mystery to me and we have beaten it to death. Let's just toss the memory of that bad boy in the "I don't recall" file favored by politicians and move on. Elon had more than a few athletes that could play for Clemson. They brought in a freshmen running back in the second half named Jalen Thomas, I think, who looked like the second coming of Barry Sanders and the two guys who played in front of him were no slouches. I assume they had some fat boys up front who were blowing the socks off our D line and LB's. They had an inside linebacker who put a huge hit on one of our RBs that took him out of the game. In short, I think the Elon squad made a big leap in class that we were simply not prepared for or no match for. Doesn't matter. This beatdown was more the result of Elon's performance than it was Furman's. I expect them to make a lot of noise in the CAA and beyond this year and will be shocked if they don't. I refuse to believe that Furman suddenly became a terrible team. I still think we are a good football team that is well coached and has a chance to become a VERY good football team if everyone straps on their helmets and goes to work. And that includes attitude and toughness adjustments for the players, the coaches and most importantly, of course, the loyal supporters on these boards. :) Now, what poor saps are up this week? Colgate?? COLGATE? I pity those fools! :evil:
if the LB on their team was number 3 he is an All-America.. Messer. But they did have him last year.. he is a senior.

Jasper, I see your point but most of their players were seniors and juniors which means they are the same athletes we saw last year - though more experienced for sure
 #3686  by Purpleglasses
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:47 pm
Elon will continue to be good...Remember who their coach is. Curt Cignetti...
you do not get named the Rivals recruiter of the year and work for Nick Saban as his recruiting Coordinator, and not have the speed dial list to the top H.S. coaches in the region...he can evaluate and get the leads on the top of the top FBS/FCS players that are out there...
Elon looks different because Cignetti is building them that way...just with a jump start.
 #3689  by Affirm
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:08 pm
Purpleglasses wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:47 pm
Elon will continue to be good...Remember who their coach is. Curt Cignetti...
you do not get named the Rivals recruiter of the year and work for Nick Saban as his recruiting Coordinator, and not have the speed dial list to the top H.S. coaches in the region...he can evaluate and get the leads on the top of the top FBS/FCS players that are out there...
Elon looks different because Cignetti is building them that way...just with a jump start.
Interesting news to me.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.