• Pre-Season Rankings

#53657  by Furmanoid
 Fri May 20, 2022 3:24 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:53 pm
^^^ I might be placing way too much stock in the QB/OC coaching change.
So take what I'm going to say for what it's worth—probably nothing.

In the practices and scrimmages, I saw Justin Roper's coaching style and interactions are more hands-on and appear more detailed-related to the QBs and technique.

Also, I overheard someone say that Jace and JR have clicked. Not saying that Jace didn't with GQ, just that there appears to be a connection with JW/JR, for what that's worth.

I guess we will see how JR coaches up this stable of QBs.

Concerning the receiving corp… we need to remember Wayne Andersn Jr is now playing slot - a big move IMO.
Please keep up this very interesting reporting. I’ve had a good feeling about Roper, and this bolsters it. I’m reaching a Jackal-like level of optimism which is very unnatural for Furmanoid.
FUBeAR, apaladin liked this
 #53658  by Afurmanfan
 Fri May 20, 2022 4:05 pm
I love coach GQ-is a great man but he never played qb. Coach JR obviously knows qb technicals as well as anybody and he is about 20 years younger. Both of those can make a difference as far as knowledge and being more relatable.
 #53659  by FUBeAR
 Fri May 20, 2022 4:30 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:05 pm
I love coach GQ-is a great man but he never played qb. Coach JR obviously knows qb technicals as well as anybody and he is about 20 years younger. Both of those can make a difference as far as knowledge and being more relatable.
Also, much taller…which, as we UFFP veterans know, with regard to buildings on campus, can have a definitive effect on the success of the school’s Football Team.
AstroDin liked this
 #53661  by gofurman
 Fri May 20, 2022 11:11 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:16 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:30 am
i haven't really looked but my recollection is that ETSU lost a bunch of talent....
Off the top of my head, they lost their star OT and RB. I think their middle linebacker was old enough to collect social security, so I believe he's gone as well.
Might be posted elsewhere bUt biggest loss was Quay Holmes all SoCon RB declared for NFL draft!! I don’t see that he was drafted. Regardless good for us

- I still wish we had a schedule that allowed room for an at large bid. We basically have to win the conference. People say “that’s fine”. And I want to win conference. But I’ll always take two playoff opportunities over one. Ask Mercer from last year !!
 #53662  by gofurman
 Fri May 20, 2022 11:24 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:53 pm
^^^ I might be placing way too much stock in the QB/OC coaching change.
So take what I'm going to say for what it's worth—probably nothing.

In the practices and scrimmages, I saw Justin Roper's coaching style and interactions are more hands-on and appear more detailed-related to the QBs and technique.

Also, I overheard someone say that Jace and JR have clicked. Not saying that Jace didn't with GQ, just that there appears to be a connection with JW/JR, for what that's worth.

I guess we will see how JR coaches up this stable of QBs.

Concerning the receiving corp… we need to remember Wayne Andersn Jr is now playing slot - a big move IMO.
Two that look good. Miller at TE ! Harris looks good at WR. We need someone else to really step up. Just calling it like it is.
Always felt Bell had the speed - KO return for TD etc few years ago. But then his production as WR was never great. Hope he or Gunn or Shiflett (another slight enigma) have a great year
 #53666  by The Jackal
 Sat May 21, 2022 9:33 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Paul C wrote:
i haven't really looked but my recollection is that ETSU lost a bunch of talent....
Off the top of my head, they lost their star OT and RB. I think their middle linebacker was old enough to collect social security, so I believe he's gone as well.
Might be posted elsewhere bUt biggest loss was Quay Holmes all SoCon RB declared for NFL draft!! I don’t see that he was drafted. Regardless good for us

- I still wish we had a schedule that allowed room for an at large bid. We basically have to win the conference. People say “that’s fine”. And I want to win conference. But I’ll always take two playoff opportunities over one. Ask Mercer from last year !!
Last season, Mercer scheduled only 10 games. In addition, they scheduled Point and Alabama. That schedule requires you to essentially beat Alabama or win the SoCon. There was incredibly little wiggle room.

Furman has scheduled 11 games. Even assuming a steep climb against Clemson and NGU "not counting," Furman will need to win 7 games of the remaining 9 to have a pretty good shot at the playoffs.

Not quite the same situation, but if we can't do that, we don't deserve to be in the post season anyway.
tim, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #53694  by gofurman
 Sun May 22, 2022 5:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Paul C wrote:

Last season, Mercer scheduled only 10 games. In addition, they scheduled Point and Alabama. That schedule requires you to essentially beat Alabama or win the SoCon. There was incredibly little wiggle room.

Furman has scheduled 11 games. Even assuming a steep climb against Clemson and NGU "not counting," Furman will need to win 7 games of the remaining 9 to have a pretty good shot at the playoffs.

Not quite the same situation, but if we can't do that, we don't deserve to be in the post season anyway.
Valid point about the D2 AND the 10 games for Mercer Jackal. You are right. Still, I wish we had Tennessee Tech again (opposed to NGU asjust making the playoffs is worth some PR and an extra week or so of practice which is good for team and QB learning etc
 #53699  by The Jackal
 Sun May 22, 2022 9:44 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Paul C wrote:

Valid point about the D2 AND the 10 games for Mercer Jackal. You are right. Still, I wish we had Tennessee Tech again (opposed to NGU asjust making the playoffs is worth some PR and an extra week or so of practice which is good for team and QB learning etc

I think Point is NAIA.

Ideally, you want two winnable FCS out of conference games. Furman typically tries to schedule that. They weren't able to swing it this season. It happens.
gofurman liked this
 #53700  by apaladin
 Mon May 23, 2022 2:15 am
We are ok schedule wise next year with 1 fcs home game(Tenn.Tech) and one fcs away game(kennesaw st). After that not looking good. 2024 and 2025 are both 12 game seasons. In 2024 we already have 1 fcs away game(W&M) and 1 fbs(ole miss). So in 2024 we need 2 home games which is a problem. If one has to be a D2 or both then we need to go for another FBS game. In 2025 we have one fcs home game(W&M), one fcs road game(NCA&T), 1 FBS(Clempson)but need another home game or go for another FBS game. So we need 2 games for 2024 and 1 game for 2025. I hope we play the allowed 12 games in ‘24 and ‘25. No reason not to really. Its really scary that we have no ooc games after 2025 except a possible makeup game with Tennessee. Don’t ever recall not having any ooc games 3 years down the road.
 #53702  by The Jackal
 Mon May 23, 2022 6:39 am
apaladin wrote:
We are ok schedule wise next year with 1 fcs home game(Tenn.Tech) and one fcs away game(kennesaw st). After that not looking good. 2024 and 2025 are both 12 game seasons. In 2024 we already have 1 fcs away game(W&M) and 1 fbs(ole miss). So in 2024 we need 2 home games which is a problem. If one has to be a D2 or both then we need to go for another FBS game. In 2025 we have one fcs home game(W&M), one fcs road game(NCA&T), 1 FBS(Clempson)but need another home game or go for another FBS game. So we need 2 games for 2024 and 1 game for 2025. I hope we play the allowed 12 games in ‘24 and ‘25. No reason not to really. Its really scary that we have no ooc games after 2025 except a possible makeup game with Tennessee. Don’t ever recall not having any ooc games 3 years down the road.

Why not wait until a little down the road before worrying about the 2025 football schedule?

Furman generally puts out a strong schedule. There's no reason to think they'll just stop doing that.
 #53704  by FUBeAR
 Mon May 23, 2022 8:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Paul C wrote:

I think Point is NAIA.

Ideally, you want two winnable FCS out of conference games. Furman typically tries to schedule that. They weren't able to swing it this season. It happens.
If FUBeAR recalls correctly (too lazy to confirm his recollection), weren’t you calling for everyone from Mercer University’s President to their stadium Sno-Cone vendor to be fired for their scheduling issues last season?

Not that FUBeAR, necessarily, disagreed with you (except the Prez - he’s a Keeper…really don’t like that sno-cone guy tho). Just seems like one of those sauce/goose/gander kinda things, y’know.

*NAIA, D2, D3, or anything not D1 FBS or FCS doesn’t matter to the Playoff Selection Committee. To them, a non-D1 FBS/FCS game just didn’t happen. A D1 FBS loss, regardless of P5 SEC or G5 lower-tier carries similar weight (none)…just didn’t happen…regardless of the score. So, to the Committee, Mercer was 6-2 last year…Dammit sno-cone man!!!
 #53706  by AllTimeFU
 Mon May 23, 2022 9:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Why not wait until a little down the road before worrying about the 2025 football schedule?

Furman generally puts out a strong schedule. There's no reason to think they'll just stop doing that.
Where are you finding schedules posted that far out?
 #53710  by Affirm
 Mon May 23, 2022 1:40 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Paul C wrote:

I think Point is NAIA.

If FUBeAR recalls correctly (too lazy to confirm his recollection), weren’t you calling for everyone from Mercer University’s President to their stadium Sno-Cone vendor to be fired for their scheduling issues last season?

Not that FUBeAR, necessarily, disagreed with you (except the Prez - he’s a Keeper…really don’t like that sno-cone guy tho). Just seems like one of those sauce/goose/gander kinda things, y’know.

*NAIA, D2, D3, or anything not D1 FBS or FCS doesn’t matter to the Playoff Selection Committee. To them, a non-D1 FBS/FCS game just didn’t happen. A D1 FBS loss, regardless of P5 SEC or G5 lower-tier carries similar weight (none)…just didn’t happen…regardless of the score. So, to the Committee, Mercer was 6-2 last year…Dammit sno-cone man!!!
deletion of a wrongly placed reply - which I could not get to delete after I posted again at correct place
my apology
Last edited by Affirm on Mon May 23, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #53712  by Affirm
 Mon May 23, 2022 1:45 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Where are you finding schedules posted that far out?
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa
Not full schedules, but out at least to 2029, maybe beyond, announced games (OOC), including FCS.
 #53714  by fupaladin01
 Mon May 23, 2022 3:22 pm
This discussion should probably matriculate over to the '22 Schedule thread, but I'll deposit my thougts here...

Looking at Austin Peay's OOC/FBS schedule, they have the following upcoming games-

2022- Alabama, Western KY
2023 - Tennessee
2024 - Georgia Tech(and Chatty)
2025 - Georgia and Middle Tenn St
2026 - Vanderbilt and NDSU

Personally I would LOVE this schedule.

Poo-poo APSU if you want, but the OVC has been ranked alongside the SoCon for several seasons, and the Gov'ners kicked the crap out of us last time we met. They are no slouch, yet their schedulde is packed with Power 5 teams- some exciting top-5 competition as well as some possible wins. Add to that the best program in FCS, and I'd say we need to take notes from their AD or whoever is doing their scheduling.