• 2023 Recruiting Diamond Cha23rs

#54271  by AstroDin
 Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:15 pm
^^^ happens all the time. it's the recruit's decision on when and if they make a public announcement.

I will say starting last season the coaches scaled back on pre-acknowledging a commitment, which made it harder for us sleuth's to find commitments.

Recruiting is now a public and messy business.
 #54272  by DiamonDin
 Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:45 pm
I just wonder if he's not referring to Caldwell Bussey. He's a DE with good speed. No coach made an acknowledgement of that commitment when it was posted by Bussey.
 #54292  by AstroDin
 Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:03 am
David Alabi 6- 240 LB/DE | Pickerington North HS | OH
Offers: Army, Ball St, Colgate, Eastern Michigan, Fordham, Lehigh, Marshall
Rated 2-Star by 247

Furman continues to build out a DL/DE corps with size.
We're young but lots to like. Jackson and Stanfield alone are a great rotation.
We haven't seen Paraison in an actual game. Physically he's the most impressive.

Defensive Ends;
Jackson 6-0 256 SO
Stanfield 6-2 250 SO
Clark 6-2 254 SR
Paraison 6-3 258 RSFR
Mac Albert 6-3 240 FR/PWO

We're seeing smart recruiting from Furman, Alabi, and Bussey will be Freshmen as Jackson and Stanfield will be starting their junior seasons.
 #54293  by AstroDin
 Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:36 am
Based on offers out there — Furman is recruiting hard at TE. My guess is Roper wants two TEs in this class.
A look at TE depth 2022 season;

Ryan Miller 6-2 221 SR
Noah Henderson 6-1 207 JR
Parks Gissinger 6-4 240 GRAD
Ty Youngblood 6-0 220 SO
Joe Graham 6-2 215 RSFR (PWO)
*Aaron Beylin 6-3 217 FR (PWO) - Beylin was getting a lot of interest from Ivies, and Patriot schools including Holy Cross. My guess is Beylin had a relationship with Roper at HC. He could prove to be a very nice PWO pickup at TE in the future.
 #54294  by The Jackal
 Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:33 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:36 am
Based on offers out there — Furman is recruiting hard at TE. My guess is Roper wants two TEs in this class.
A look at TE depth 2022 season;

Ryan Miller 6-2 221 SR
Noah Henderson 6-1 207 JR
Parks Gissinger 6-4 240 GRAD
Ty Youngblood 6-0 220 SO
Joe Graham 6-2 215 RSFR (PWO)
*Aaron Beylin 6-3 217 FR (PWO) - Beylin was getting a lot of interest from Ivies, and Patriot schools including Holy Cross. My guess is Beylin had a relationship with Roper at HC. He could prove to be a very nice PWO pickup at TE in the future.
There's no question we need help there. It looks like both TEs from our class two seasons ago are gone. Miller and Gissinger will, I think, be gone after this season.

Recruiting here may be deceptive, though. A lot of high school programs aren't going to put their elite athletes at TE (especially at smaller schools). Most of the monsters at that position never make it past the big programs.

For a school like Furman, you have to be creative. Remember, over the years some of our best TEs were walk-on QBs (Colin Anderson, Duncan Fletcher). Even Ryan Miller was a type of do-everything player for his high school and really doesn't fit the prototype of a TE. In fact, many of our prototype TEs don't seem to pan out.

In terms of offers, maybe also look at guys that fit what was traditionally a "fullback." Under Roper, Furman looks like it will move away from the traditional fullback (or whatever they wanted to call him) we've seen for so long.

As Kirby Smart noted, fullbacks and TEs essentially do the same function - block and catch passes.
 #54399  by AstroDin
 Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:09 pm
I would have loved to see how Paraison develops but… I guess we won't find out.

My guess is the two top DEs for the 2022 season will be Jeremiah Jackson and Bryce Stanfield both sophomores.
Regardless if Paraison had stayed.

Furman has already received 2023 commitments for two defensive ends and has several offers out to DE/DT prospects.

For depth, we could see Lehigh transfer Xavier Stephens (6-3 270) rotate at DE and DT. Incoming freshman Thomas Pilon is listed as a DL but he played a lot of DE and linebacker in high school.
 #54405  by The Jackal
 Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:12 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:09 pm
I would have loved to see how Paraison develops but… I guess we won't find out.

My guess is the two top DEs for the 2022 season will be Jeremiah Jackson and Bryce Stanfield both sophomores.
Regardless if Paraison had stayed.

Furman has already received 2023 commitments for two defensive ends and has several offers out to DE/DT prospects.

For depth, we could see Lehigh transfer Xavier Stephens (6-3 270) rotate at DE and DT. Incoming freshman Thomas Pilon is listed as a DL but he played a lot of DE and linebacker in high school.

The depth along that front three is probably the only thing on defense I'm a little concerned about. Hate to lose anyone with potential up front.
 #54410  by AstroDin
 Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:22 am
To your point, Furman can't afford many injuries on the DL.
The good news is that Furman has the players with the flexibility to play all three positions.
Jackal, you also highlight why Furman is recruiting defensive line prospects so heavily in 2023.
I could be misreading coaches' tweets, by my count Furman has at least 5 commits.
Two HS players have tweeted their commitments. I have a pretty good idea who the other three commits are based on some Twitter actions and who was at Furman for VIP camp this past weekend. By the way, Furman's VIP camp appears to have been a huge success. The player promotion of attending the camp is a social media bonanza for Furman football.

Based on a Tweet by a player attending former college and pro great Eddie Geroge was at VIP camp weekend. His son Eriq George attended the camp.

DL DEPTH
Coleman NG 6-3 304 SR
Johnson NG 6-1 301 SO

Sochovka DT 6-4 296 SR
Rogers DT 6-3 255 SR
Barton DT 6-4 264 JR

Jackson DE 6-0 256 SO
Stanfield DE 6-2 6-2 252 SO
Clark DE 6-2 254 SR

*Xavier Stephens DL 6-3 270 SO
*Malachi Harrison DL 6-1 275 FR
*Thomas Pilon DL 6-3 260 FR
* incoming players

>>> 2023 RECRUITS
Caldwell Bussey DE 6-3 245
David Alabi DE 6-2 240

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.