• thoughts on the morning after

#3358  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:09 am
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:03 am
I might have missed it in an earlier thread, but are we for sure that Lincoln and Grainger are the guys over Roberts? All we know from Saturday is that Roberts played one series, handed it off three times and exited. Apparently he's still injured according to CCH postgame. Does he have a shot once he's fully healed?
My read (maybe wrong) is that Hendrix has ruled Roberts out for Saturday.

To me, that means that Lincoln and Grainger are going to get the snaps in practice and will be the two guys ready for duty.

I also do not think that necessarily means we are going to run a two QB system. Looking at the play by play from Saturday, Furman largely rotated Lincoln and Grainger two series on, two series off. It is good to go ahead and get their feet wet in a game. It wouldn't surprise me to see Furman name a starter and just go with that guy the entire game.
sluggo liked this
 #3366  by Jasper
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:26 pm
JohnW wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:34 am
Kind of baffled by some of the comments in the last two posts. Talk of "growing pains" for five years. My recollection is we graduated senior starters each of the last two seasons. Mistakes leading to scrambles. Against Clemson? Against that line? How could you tell? There wasn't time to throw to any receiver much less the wrong one. My recollection, again, is when given a little time both QBs made positive plays, as did some RBs and WRs. We could not, hardly at all, block that DL. That's the story of the Clemson game, not freshmen mistakes.

What I know is we have a fifth year senior (who has hardly played) and three freshmen at QB. Some of them have to play, from necessity, but also from a program growing standpoint. We have to develop our young talent. Might have to endure some mistakes, some misreads, even have to put up with the occasional athletic play turning a loss into a gain, but if we don't we'll be right back here next year.
Neither post said a word about mistakes leading to scrambles against Clemson and was certainly not an indictment of freshmen QB's as you imply. The comment you refer to was clearly a general reference to what fans often see is not necessarily exactly what is happening on the field. How could anyone but the coaches know whether any QB is missing a read or an assignment? I personally think the two freshmen QB's did an excellent job against a very fine football team and am very positive about both of them. PaladinDad was simply making the point that Harris Roberts was very much in the QB picture throughout the spring and fall practices up until the last 10 days when he was hurt. I agreed with that assessment. Most posters seem to be removing him from the picture and that makes no sense given that recent history. If CCH already made the decision to go with the freshmen and let them develope, then why waste all those pre-season snaps on Roberts? Let's wait and see what the situation is when and if Roberts gets healthy. It is the staff's decision and I am fine with it either way and happy " to put up with the occasional athletic play turning a loss into a game" as you put it.
Last edited by Jasper on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaladinDad liked this
 #3369  by PaladinDad
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:15 pm
Jasper wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Kind of baffled by some of the comments in the last two posts. Talk of "growing pains" for five years. My recollection is we graduated senior starters each of the last two seasons. Mistakes leading to scrambles. Against Clemson? Against that line? How could you tell? There wasn't time to throw to any receiver much less the wrong one. My recollection, again, is when given a little time both QBs made positive plays, as did some RBs and WRs. We could not, hardly at all, block that DL. That's the story of the Clemson game, not freshmen mistakes.

What I know is we have a fifth year senior (who has hardly played) and three freshmen at QB. Some of them have to play, from necessity, but also from a program growing standpoint. We have to develop our young talent. Might have to endure some mistakes, some misreads, even have to put up with the occasional athletic play turning a loss into a gain, but if we don't we'll be right back here next year.
Neither post said a word about mistakes leading to scrambles against Clemson and was certainly not an indictment of freshmen QB's as you imply. The comment you refer to was clearly a general reference to what fans often see is not necessarily exactly what is happening on the field. How could anyone but the coaches know whether any QB is missing a read or an assignment? I personally think the two freshmen QB's did an excellent job against a very fine football team and am very positive about both of them. PaladinDad was simply making the point that Harris Roberts was very much in the QB picture throughout the spring and fall practices up until the last 10 days when he was hurt. I agreed with that assessment. Most posters seem to be removing him from the picture and that makes no sense given that recent history. If CCH already made the decision to go with the freshmen and let them develope, then why waste all those pre-season snaps on Roberts? Let's wait and see what the situation is when and if Roberts gets healthy. It is the staff's decision and I am fine with it either way and and happy " to put up with the occasional athletic play turning a loss into a game" as you put it.
Let me be clear that I am in no way discounting anything the Freshman QB's have done to this point. As i stated if all things are equal you go with the youngster, but again it has not been equal! As Jasper stated at the practices I attended, there was a vast difference in the offense when Roberts was the QB. I read many posts on here after the scrimmage that were full of concern about the direction of the offense. I have also read some posts after the clemson game with concerns for the offense. What i will tell you is that Roberts didn't qb either of those. I'm not saying he is the solution to any and all issues the offense has had, I am just saying from what I have seen on multiple occasions he is the best option. I always hesitate to comment on personnel issues with the team because there always seems to be someone that thinks i am somehow attacking the individual. I have a great deal of respect for every one of these kids, my opinion was completely football related, nothing else.
Jasper, Paladawg liked this
 #3374  by palafan
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:23 pm
I don't think our offensive play calling against Clemson will be anything like what we will see the rest of the year. I think we were playing conservative so no one was injured and not show future opponents what we have in store for them.
PaladinDad, furman88 liked this
 #3379  by Paladawg
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:13 pm
PaladinDad wrote:
Jasper wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Neither post said a word about mistakes leading to scrambles against Clemson and was certainly not an indictment of freshmen QB's as you imply. The comment you refer to was clearly a general reference to what fans often see is not necessarily exactly what is happening on the field. How could anyone but the coaches know whether any QB is missing a read or an assignment? I personally think the two freshmen QB's did an excellent job against a very fine football team and am very positive about both of them. PaladinDad was simply making the point that Harris Roberts was very much in the QB picture throughout the spring and fall practices up until the last 10 days when he was hurt. I agreed with that assessment. Most posters seem to be removing him from the picture and that makes no sense given that recent history. If CCH already made the decision to go with the freshmen and let them develope, then why waste all those pre-season snaps on Roberts? Let's wait and see what the situation is when and if Roberts gets healthy. It is the staff's decision and I am fine with it either way and and happy " to put up with the occasional athletic play turning a loss into a game" as you put it.
Let me be clear that I am in no way discounting anything the Freshman QB's have done to this point. As i stated if all things are equal you go with the youngster, but again it has not been equal! As Jasper stated at the practices I attended, there was a vast difference in the offense when Roberts was the QB. I read many posts on here after the scrimmage that were full of concern about the direction of the offense. I have also read some posts after the clemson game with concerns for the offense. What i will tell you is that Roberts didn't qb either of those. I'm not saying he is the solution to any and all issues the offense has had, I am just saying from what I have seen on multiple occasions he is the best option. I always hesitate to comment on personnel issues with the team because there always seems to be someone that thinks i am somehow attacking the individual. I have a great deal of respect for every one of these kids, my opinion was completely football related, nothing else.
Best insight I have read on this thread. The best chance to win at this time is with the senior if he is healthy. There has been a lot of commentary on this board from last year about needing a "system" quarterback that can run the offense efficiently.
PaladinDad liked this
 #3381  by JohnW
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:55 pm
Paladawg wrote:
PaladinDad wrote:
Jasper wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Best insight I have read on this thread. The best chance to win at this time is with the senior if he is healthy. There has been a lot of commentary on this board from last year about needing a "system" quarterback that can run the offense efficiently.
Except for the fact that the senior is the only one not recruited by this staff, for this system.
 #3384  by Paladawg
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:41 pm
JohnW wrote:
Paladawg wrote:
PaladinDad wrote:
Jasper wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Except for the fact that the senior is the only one not recruited by this staff, for this system.
Neither was Blazejowski.
PaladinDad, Jasper liked this
 #3385  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:46 pm
JohnW wrote:
Paladawg wrote:
PaladinDad wrote:
Jasper wrote:
JohnW wrote:

My recollection is that Roberts ran a high school offense much closer to Furman's current get up than the offense he was recruited into.
PaladinDad liked this
 #3390  by JohnW
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:22 pm
PJ and Harris are very different players HS not withstanding. A few on this board, myself included, thought Avery Armstrong better suited to the new offense than anyone other than PJ. If memory serves Coach Hendricks said as much after his first spring. The truth of the matter is we have two QBs with a year in the new offense, and three with game experience. There is not anyone currently on the roster than can be called a "system" QB. I think we'll get there but we're not there now.

The tone and tenor of this discussion about mistakes and athletic players has me a bit disquieted. For me I'm going to quit giving it oxygen. Sorry for my part in it.
 #3391  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 pm
JohnW wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:22 pm
PJ and Harris are very different players HS not withstanding. A few on this board, myself included, thought Avery Armstrong better suited to the new offense than anyone other than PJ. If memory serves Coach Hendricks said as much after his first spring. The truth of the matter is we have two QBs with a year in the new offense, and three with game experience. There is not anyone currently on the roster than can be called a "system" QB. I think we'll get there but we're not there now.

The tone and tenor of this discussion about mistakes and athletic players has me a bit disquieted. For me I'm going to quit giving it oxygen. Sorry for my part in it.
I personally think that this offense can tailor itself to whomever is at QB. As I've said before, I think Reese Hannon, who was by no means a "system QB", would have thrived in this offense.
 #3392  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:43 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:33 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:33 pm
Sisson #19 had on a red mesh over his jersey he was calling in signals with Vita and Hardin.

I do think we'll see some tweaks;
Porter #37 played very well at SPUR he gives us great size and athletic ability.
Neely played very well at center against the Clemson reserves, I might be alone in my thinking but I could see Kroeber moving back to guard - I trust Lusk and Hendrix to make the right move if necessary.
Ditto on GIlby.
Watkins looks good as does Bell… those two are going to make some plays, I'll be curious to see what kind of havoc Bell makes in the open field against FCS talent.
I agree with Jackal — our skill players are young — Lincoln and Grainger are the future — I'd get them reps and clean up timing and reads. We have two games for them to learn and grow before the real season starts at ETSU.
Elon and Colgate also are both VERY important - and VERY difficult, especially Elon away - though I of course realize why you say “real season”.

Astro, appreciate your player insights !

Affirm has a point here about the importance of these two games ...

We all know SoCon is most important but believe me these next two games are HUGE. At the end of last year we were sweating getting a playoff bid and the three FCS losses were Wofford, Samford and Elon. At the time many said if we had had one single more win we were a lock for the playoffs - and that was true. We got in playoffs anyway so one more win woulda been a guarantee in essence ... Of the 3 FCS losses many of us looked back at the Elon game as the one we 'let slip away'. We gave them a ton of points and came roaring back only to let them steal it again.

If we can win at Elon we will have cushion. Sure, the SoCon champ is assured the playoffs. But it's great - like last year - to have an at-large chance too. Because the real goal to many is to play for national titles. I'll go on record that we will beat Colgate - we are just more athletic. This Elon is a key game for helping us to where we could lose two or three other games if we win this Saturday. Basically we need 7-4 or 8-3 to talk about playoffs. Lose this and it gets harder Also it's a quality win if you beat Elon. Top 15 team. That is nice on a resume. Heck. Even if a team wins the SoCon it helps to beat Elon because you beat a top 15 team and you might get a seed in playoffs !!!
 #3409  by Jasper
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:34 am
JohnW wrote:
Paladawg wrote:
PaladinDad wrote:
Jasper wrote:
JohnW wrote:

irrelevant.
 #3412  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:21 am
Jasper wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:34 am
JohnW wrote:
Paladawg wrote:
PaladinDad wrote:
Jasper wrote:
JohnW wrote:

irrelevant.
Y’all are getting weird...and that’s saying a lot coming from FUBeAR.
furman88 liked this
 #3479  by sluggo
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:05 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:03 am
I might have missed it in an earlier thread, but are we for sure that Lincoln and Grainger are the guys over Roberts? All we know from Saturday is that Roberts played one series, handed it off three times and exited. Apparently he's still injured according to CCH postgame. Does he have a shot once he's fully healed?
I doubt it.
Two QBs got rushing and passing yards against #2 in the nation while the offensive front was being beat badly.
Their mere survival earned respect from the game commentators.

Personally, I'd put this issue to rest and start Lincoln and let Grainger play enough to challenge Lincoln.
FUBeAR, Paladin82, QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.